Interesting Frog Skin Cover on Ebay

Justin

I picked up an interesting half frogskin like these and half mitchell camo cover, i think i posted it before but will try to post here or i will try to find the link....mike

Hi Philip - The stitching does not conform to WWII manufacture. Colors are off a notch or two as well - even allowing for variation due to camera settings.

It is definitely interesting, possibly reissued from left over WW2 stock?

Philip :think:

• 8 months later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I picked up an interesting half frogskin like these and half mitchell camo cover, i think i posted it before but will try to post here or i will try to find the link....mike

Where is it? We've got to see it!

Here she is...factory stitching and construction, i think it was some kind of test cover showing the new and old camo or something of that nature....mike

post-350-0-86899800-1481158404_thumb.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Thanks for sharing, that's an amazing collection.

What an odd cover, on the one hand I can't imagine that be allowed and payed for by the government, it would probably give the CSM a stroke, but on the other hand if it was an example piece why does it have so much wear?

What's the stamping and is it on the mitchell or the frogskin?

-George

The stamping is on the frogskin tan side and its the same contract stamping as the others here in this thread...the Mitchell side im convinced is a 1959 white tag contract half cover but does not have the tag...has all the characteristics of a 59 cover/half...like you have said, very odd with all the wear and tear....ive always felt this was a test cover or maybe a manufacture display cover showing the old and new camo but was definitely used hard in the field, maybe field testing or someone had brought up maybe just a manufacturing error and two different halves were accidentally sewn together as they had both camos on hand but i wouldnt think such an error would go un noticed and pass through inspection and make it in the field and passed the Sgts eye in the USMC....in my eyes it just has to be a test cover of some sort...i once saw a photo of a similar half and half cover like a manufacture sample being shown to the Press but if i remember correctly it was half brown side and half green side...wish i could find that photo again...cant remember if it was frogskin or Mitchell though....dang cool cover whatever the case...one of my all time favorites....mike

Gulp! Sweet collection Mike - now I know why these are so hard to find.

The half/half is undeniably cool. I've never seen anything like it.

Here she is...factory stitching and construction, i think it was some kind of test cover showing the new and old camo or something of that nature....mike

attachicon.gif Picture 2073273332.jpg

• 6 months later...
sgtdorango

Thats a beauty minesweeper....i also picked up another one of these at the SOS in February in a trade...love these covers!.....mike

• 3 weeks later...
combat-helmets

What are these worth? are collectors actively seeking these? I have one of these and happen to think they are quite rare...

I sold off all my WW2 frog skins but held on to a mint unissued 1952 Blue Anchor Coverall cover I got from Okinawa and one of these contract 5432 covers that I procured from Sgt. Dorango...

They sell for slightly less than unmarked WW2 frogskins in similar shape. IMO they are more rare, but the number of collector's activity searching for them is a lot smaller. I am still looking for one myself.

I would also agree with Justin that they seem to be the rarest encountered USMC Frogskin helmet cover so far. I still have seen under ten of them come up for sale or shown, with about half coming straight out of veteran groupings which helps confirm their authenticity more IMO as there are no written records available as of yet found on them.

Think as Justin stated being produced post WWII the interest may not be quite as high by some collectors, however not only the ink stamp but the construction type with additional color of thread used (green) makes this a stand alone example compared to all others seen produced to date through the years.

• 1 year later...

Picked up one of these covers today, I was definitely confused until I did some research on it, great thread!

-Steven

post-104606-0-65139900-1532815143_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
olivedrab1970

I have been lucky enough to have my path cross and too find one of these covers! I had no idea what was going on until I just read this thread. I will post picks as soon as I receive it in a few days, it completely threw me for a loop and made me rethink everything I thought I had known about collecting these frogskin USMC covers.. SF

I have been lucky enough to have my path cross and too find one of these covers! I had no idea what was going on until I just read this thread. I will post picks as soon as I receive it in a few days, it completely threw me for a loop and made me rethink everything I thought I had known about collecting these frogskin USMC covers.. SF

HUH?