USMC Guadalcanal found Dog tag

Fly USMC

I found (Obtained from Locals) two dog tags last year when I was visiting Guadalcanal. I was able to get some of the history of one of the Marines. The other one I haven’t had much luck.

I don't have an ancestry account yet, so most of my research comes from Google searches. Before I get a bunch of comments chastising me about getting an account on ancestry. com, I will probably do this in a year and a half when I retire and anticipate having more time to use it.

……with that said, here is a photo of the dog tag and the info on it:

Mc Kay,

L. A.

TYPE -A-

T. 9/41

USMC

There is also a fingerprint on the back.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Semper Fi,

John

post-5056-1344471978.jpg

Here's the one name I can find which fits:

Name: Leslie A Mc Kay

Muster Date: Apr 1942

Station: Company "D", Second Marines, Second Marine Diyision, Fleet Marine Force, Camp Elliott, San Diego, California.

----------------

Name: Leslie A Mc Kay

Muster Date: Oct 1942

Station: Company "D", First Battalion, Second Marines Reinforced, Fmf, In The Field.

This is indeed your man: I found his serial number in a 1947 muster roll when he was discharged:

mckaysn.jpg

F/S Thank You for the info and help. You have always gone above and beyond to help forum members with this type of research, so once again, thanks

F/S Thank You for the info and help. You have always gone above and beyond to help forum members with this type of research, so once again, thanks

You're welcome!

I have a casuality card for you, send me a PM with your email address, and I'll send it along.

Mc Kay was wounded on Tarawa.

I have a casuality card for you, send me a PM with your email address, and I'll send it along.

Mc Kay was wounded on Tarawa.

Thanks,

On the way

PM me the info on the other tag, I'll run an ancestry check for you

I already found out about the other guy. I no longer have his dog tag. He survid the war and passed away in the 1970's. Here is a post from a year ago with some info on my trip to the "Canal"

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...=117650&hl=

I will attach a Photo of that dog tag and of another tag (Equipment tag?) that I obtained. the third tag looks like a WWI or at least pre WWII dog tag with only two markings on it "85" and "USMC".

post-5056-1344562848.jpg