Show us your period military toys, models, and trench art!

Dr_rambow

Ha! Fantastic. Our topic starter must be happy the more so that two different layouts of the box for that Jeep can be seen.

I saw your posts, and I was like

tumblr_m6xsh0n0Ve1r9rzfq.gif

I'm happy that this thread is not only giving people a chance to show off their stuff, but also an opportunity for people to learn more about their own collection.

:thumbsup:

This just came in the mail today, I thought I might post some images of it before I go make replacement guns for it. This thing is massive!

P8150094.jpg

I'm planning on putting the smaller 75mm on it, since this seems to be an early impression.

General Apathy

post-344-1345230216.jpg post-344-1345230233.jpg

Jeep cardboard cutout ....................

An unused cardboard sheet featuring the WWII famous American Jeep, printed in Paris 1945. ;) :thumbsup:

ken

@Ken...next time I pop over to Normandy we can shelve the dominoes and while away an evening or two assembling those Jeep kits on the kitchen table! :lol:

General Apathy
@Ken...next time I pop over to Normandy we can shelve the dominoes and while away an evening or two assembling those Jeep kits on the kitchen table! :lol:

Or we could just go in the garage and while away the year refurbing the full scale Jeep. :dunno: :laughing1:

ken

Sounds like fun!

I've always liked those paper models. It's nice that you have them in their original sheets. You can find them built, but they almost always have stuff missing.

Fascinating! It took a great leap of faith...plus a heck of lot of sanding...to transform those blocks of balsa to anything vaguely resembling a Spit or an Airacobra etc! :o

Could you please order me some tanks from that last page? :P

I cannot unfortunately but have something better for you if you like the tanks of 1930s. Join the expedition that wants to dig out seven Polish 7TP light tanks from the Vistula River and you will have 1:1 scale toy.

:rolleyes:;):)

I cannot unfortunately but have something better for you if you like the tanks of 1930s. Join the expedition that wants to dig out seven Polish 7TP light tanks from the Vistula River and you will have 1:1 scale toy.

:rolleyes:;):)

Where do I sign up? I actually think the odd, riveted steel tank designs from the 30's are really cool.

Escht, those model kits are great! Neat that one has a war bond ad on the side. Must have taken a lot of work indeed to get these looking remotely as advertised!

I can commiserate with the kids back then, I just had to make a tapered barrel for my tank, royal pain in the rump without a lathe. Then there was the whole matching the paint issue. I'm just happy it came out as nice as it did!

P8180100.jpg

I shouldn't complain about making those few parts, though. Someone took a lot of time and planning to put this thing together. The hull alone (not counting tracks and turret) is made from nine side-by-side boards sanded down into the shape of the hull. The turret, which turns 360 degrees, is made in a similar manner only with 5 boards (7 if you count the thin sheets on the sides).

P8180101.jpg

The tracks are made from two sheets of 1/4" plywood with a 3/8" piece of plywood in between. The outward facing sheets have been cut to look like track and suspension, the details are impressive for being a home made creation.

P8180102.jpg

There were a few shreds of twine from the pull string still attached when I got it in the mail, I need to go get some to "complete" this, though I think it looks pretty good all the same.

P8180103.jpg

The guy who made this must have taken apart something pretty substantial to get wheels this big and heavy. Obviously a garage raid for parts on this thing, my kinda guy!

Can't go wrong with that :)

Source: Flying Aces, Vol. 48 No. 4, November 1944

Here is an interesting thing. The people think that Hasegawa has been the world's inventor and pioneer of such details for modellers. Really? :think:

post-75-1345363503.jpg

Source: Flying Aces, Vol. 48 No. 4, November 1944

One more thing for WWII era modellers.

X-ACTO knives/blades are still an essential tool for modellers today!