Show us your period military toys, models, and trench art!

Dr_rambow

Those models are really neat. I' love to be able to find one of those old kits. It is always hard to tell if a model is wartime or not and I end up looking for old ads like those to try to confirm that possibility. Thanks for posting them!

Carey, Gotta love those P38s, they seem to be a very popular inspiration for trench art, much more than any other aircraft as far as I know. It's possible many of them were put together after the conflict (they are probably still making them somewhere), but they are still neat.

Those models are really neat. I' love to be able to find one of those old kits. It is always hard to tell if a model is wartime or not and I end up looking for old ads like those to try to confirm that possibility. Thanks for posting them!

Not at all. Will post more WWII ads but need time to take photo copies.

Regards

Gregory

teufelhunde.ret
Some of my homefront toys on display at the local library. Wanted to show the kids what children from the time of the war might find under the tree.

ToyDisplay1.jpg

Great displays! :thumbsup:

General Apathy

post-344-1345055120.jpg

Source: Air Trails, Vol. XXII No. 4, July 1944

Hi Gregory, I think I might have the exact 1.1/2 ton truck that can be seen in your advert post #51 above, if not it's a close copy.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1345055778.jpg

Hi Dr. Rambow, many thanks for starting this interesting topic :lol: :thumbsup: , slightly lesser thanks for vagaling me away from my wall paper stripping and redecorating that I should be doing :blink::lol::lol:

Here's very much a WWII home made item, a wooden Jeep with tin plate body, fenders and seats in British color and markings.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1345056109.jpg

WWII factory made M-3 / M-5 tank model ............

I have seen several of these and one time even saw on in it's printed color carton that they were sold in. Entirely made of wood with tin tack nails, the tracks rotate when pulled along.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1345056427.jpg

Bronze cast models .............

not certain if toys or military identification models .............. they will fit in the opened palm of a hand. ;)

ken

:blink:

General Apathy

post-344-1345056719.jpg

not certain if toys or military identification models .............. they will fit in the opened palm of a hand. ;)

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1345056804.jpg

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1345056871.jpg

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1345057014.jpg

not certain if toys or military identification models .............. they will fit in the opened palm of a hand.

ken

General Apathy
post-344-1345057112.jpg]

not certain if toys or military identification models .............. they will fit in the opened palm of a hand.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1345057364.jpg

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1345057430.jpg

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1345057502.jpg

ken

post-344-1345055120.jpg

Hi Gregory, I think I might have the exact 1.1/2 ton truck that can be seen in your advert post #51 above, if not it's a close copy.

ken

Hi Ken,

Yes, you may be right.

Am complete ignorant in this kind of hobby as presented here but I have always told: Even the smallest wartime-manufactured things show general condition of national economy in given period. The toys as well. To my surprise I can see how many US WWII era toys were made of balsa. Through most of the war balsa was embargoed for civilian sector and was distributed under the War Production Board control. But the US WWII toys show how quickly US economy coped with the material crisis. As can be seen since 1944 on balsa was available on civilian market and was not so strategically important as in 1941-1943.

Regards

Gregory

Are you sure these are bronze? Never heard of these being made with such a material.

Anyway, those are made by Dale and Framburg. The Framburg ones are wartime made ID models and have the turrets cast into the hull (no moving parts). The Dale models (which are made from the same molds, just modified to be more like toys), have movable turrets and have wheels on axels. Most of yours look like wartime Framburg, just a few Dales thrown in.

Check out this site on the matter. http://www.mikes-tanks.com/RecognitionModels.htm

post-344-1345055778.jpg

I'd love to see more of this jeep. The construction seems very interesting! Also, I think your truck is a good match for that ad. That's exactly why I like seeing them.

Hi Dr. Rambow, many thanks for starting this interesting topic laugh.gif thumbsup.gif , slightly lesser thanks for vagaling me away from my wall paper stripping and redecorating that I should be doing blink.gif

No problem! I'm enjoying seeing things from other collectors! I'm happy you guys are getting some fun out of it too. Its just like when you were a kid; chores are boring so go play!

P.S. Thanks for more ads Gregory! :thumbsup:

General Apathy
Check out this site on the matter. http://www.mikes-tanks.com/RecognitionModels.htm

Hi Dr Rambow, just when you think there's never enough hours in the day ( or evening ) you get shown a whole new website of interesting information and photographs. :thumbsup:

many thanks ( I think ) no only joking, fantastic topic and thanks for getting it going, I have more to add when I have taken photograph's

I will also send you all the exterior shots of the Jeep, again when I have done the photographs. None of the armored vehicles shown have wheels, all wheels and bogies one piece casting. Just inspected all of them again and ' bronze ' appears to be the casting medium, with irregular patches of zinc plate or such here and there, again I will take close-ups for you. ;)

thanks ken

General Apathy
post-344-1345065511.jpg

post-344-1345065525.jpg]

Source: Air Trails, Vol. XXII No. 4, July 1944

Hi Gregory, reference your West-Craft Jeep advert post #70 above, here is my 1/2 inch scale West-Craft boxed Jeep still unbuilt and in the box, part of their Victory Series.

ken