Painting an A2 Jacket

Ngrovcam

Hey all, I am in Civil Air Patrol and am learning to fly... I was wondering How I would go about painting the CAP logo on the back of my jacket...ust saying tis a civilian copy and not a military on i bought it at a department store...thanks, nick c.

• 3 weeks later...
JollyGreenSlugg

G'day Ngrovcam,

I've painted up a number of A-2 copies, mainly mall jackets, but one proper reproduction. I've managed to get semi-decent results by using acrylic craft paint, which adheres well and is flexible. There are different quality paints available, so stay away from the cheapest end of the spectrum.

I'm sure people will chime in with advice, but good on you for having a go. Take it easy, practice on something other than the jacket first and take your time. As most jacket painters weren't top-shelf artists, they can look authentically amateur!

I've attached a couple of pics of my efforts, and the originals on which they were based. I'm certainly not much good, but they'll do! You can easily do something good.

Cheers,

Matt

Hey all, I am in Civil Air Patrol and am learning to fly... I was wondering How I would go about painting the CAP logo on the back of my jacket...ust saying tis a civilian copy and not a military on i bought it at a department store...thanks, nick c.

FB01.jpg

FB3.jpg

J05.jpg

J03.jpg

ppm.jpg

An idea so you don't mess up your jacket or you can transfer it to another jacket later:

Years ago I painted a vet up some squadron patches.....went to goodwill and found the cheapest leather jacket I could, cut it apart to make leather patches, the drew the designs with pen before painting them. It turned out nicely, the vet put them on a modern A2 and wore it to reunions. You could then remove and reuse the patches later if you wore out the coat or grew some.

I used testor's model paints, oil-based.

Make a copy to the size you want, and use craft store transfer paper in a light color to trace the design onto the jacket. It will work fine with acrylic paints. My favorite is createx airbrush paint, very opaque and thin, will not build up too bad with multiple coats. Heat set with a hair dryer when done, and use a clear semigloss or matte finish. Createx makes all you would need from start to finish. Also, prep solve automotive cleaner available at autozone does a fine job of cleaning the leather surface before painting or simply use a mild detergent and then wipe several times with clean water to remove any residue detergent. Use dinner napkins for all cleaning, it won't leave any lint behind.

010_7.jpg