MoH case on Ebay

Hobza

It seems that I am wrong about the WWII issue being a larger case. I know I was one of the coffin style cases that was wider.....maybe only in my dreams? :think:

Ditto! Don't feel bad!

I had no idea there was a standard width case for the MoH in WW2!

MW

I asked the seller if this was an authentic WWII Medal of Hoinor coffin case. Here is the reply I got....

Hi,

Hope this finds you well. This case is from my father's military collection who passed away in January. I remember it as a small child, so it is at least 40 years old. My father told me it was real and that is all I know. Hope this helps

Oops... bad "no guarantee" response.

Honestly.......if I had a WWII MoH, I'd buy the case. With the medal sitting in this case, who would be paying that much attention to the lettering?? :dunno:

I found it. Standard late metal case. If you look closely you can see the impression of the wording "Purple Heart"

where it was over-printed. If I recall he was selling them for $10. Bob

I would gladly pay $10, shoot $20, for a fake just for a display but $300+ I think not!

Nice work with all the photos guys! :thumbsup:

Over $400 now, with 3 days plus left to go. The bid history on this thing is kind of interesting: 8 bids from 7 bidders, plus one retracted bid. The retracted bid was for $623 and change.

skowheganme

The WW II black leatherette case for the MH that I have owned for years has the word " Honor" end on the second line with the letter " R " just to the left of the above letter " O " in the word OF ! Just an observation ! Incidentally, the Korean War MH case I own is all together different. Clear plastic top with bottom blue plastic yet differs from the other decoration cases of that era with an extra brass hanger on the inside of the case for the suspension pad of the MH ! Thus, top brass suspension for the lapel pin, the second brass suspension for the ribbon bar then the third brass suspension for the actual decoration ! Wow, what an arcane subject - - - but I love it !! Dave in Maine

post-387-1344547049.jpg

Having seen and posted most of the MOH cases seen on the forum I will make several observations here.

All the WWII cases I have seen and posted were/are/or original to the recipients from the WWI time period, Fact. No replacement cases another words.

All the corner designs were the same. Notice the flower top close to the "leaves" below.

All of the waves or humps are "tight" and small.

The distance between the two rows of waves.

The H on the second row started at the end of the M.

The R started at the same point as the O above it.

4starchris

post-387-1344547713.jpg

Here you can clearly see the difference on the top post or the ebay post. The H is well to the left of the end of the M. The R is well to the right of the O were it should be even. You can almost see the imprint just below and around the F and R. The text is sloppy and thick and thin combined without clear borders, especially the A. Upslope thin and slanted, downslope thick.

4starchris

Post 1 or the ebay post and 22 have alot in common with each other rather than any of the MOH cases I have seen.

Both have loose or wide waves that total 7 on the first line and 11 on the second line.

Both have the same "corner" design. Notice how far off the "leaves" the flower top is.

Both have the same distance between lines.

Both have "bad" Font and imprints of "Medal of Honor"

Bob said his is fake and knows it.

This is comparing the pics of FrankEaton01 and those cases, which the top three I have seen and held personnally.

Last but not least. Looks awfully clean and shiny to be so "old" and unprotected all these years.

What Can I say........

Just my opinion.

4starchris

So just to correct what appears to have been my mistaken impression then, the WW2 era made cases of the MoH were NOT wider than standard cases such as the Silver Star and Purple Heart?

Can anyone clarify that?

MW

So just to correct what appears to have been my mistaken impression then, the WW2 era made cases of the MoH were NOT wider than standard cases such as the Silver Star and Purple Heart?

Can anyone clarify that?

MW

WWII vintage cases for the Army Medal of Honor are the same size as decoration cases for other US Army awards. I'm 100% certain on this one. Additionally, the "guts" of the case are the same as other WWII medal cases- at lleast the cases that held the earlier pattern MOH with brooch and drape designed to be worn on the chest.

Allan