U-505 , U-68 USS GUADALCANAL GROUP AND SOUVENIR

KASTAUFFER

A few weeks on "Pawn Stars" someone brought one of these U-68 metal plaques in to be appraised. I bought mine years ago for a lot less than the "expert appraisal"

Shown below is a grouping that belonged to Lt. James Biggins who served on the USS Guadalcanal during WWII. He was a Naval Aviator who served as the LSO .

The Guadalcanal sunk a number of U-Boats ( including the U-68 ) and captured the U-505 ! The U-505 can still be seen on display in Chicago. The story of the U-505's capture and the intelligence coup it provided was recently the subject of a TV documentary.

The interesting part of Lt Biggins grouping is a chunk of steel cut from a German torpedo recovered floating on the water after the U-68 was sunk on April 10, 1944. The torpedo was cut up and made into souvenirs and engraved with the inscription " U-66 / Sunk 10 April 1944 / By The/ USS Guadalcanal " .

There is a description of the sinking and how the souvenirs were made at : http://www.wartimememories.co.uk/atlantic.html

In addition to the items pictured I also acquired his Uniform and his Naval Aviator's Flight Logbook.

Kurt

guad1.jpg

guad2.jpg

doinworkinvans

Man thats a super grouping! I would assume sub stuff is pretty hard to come by?!?!

Man thats a super grouping! I would assume sub stuff is pretty hard to come by?!?!

Im not sure how many of those souvenir plaques were made, but I have seen 5 of them in my lifetime which includes the one on Pawn Stars. On the show the guy wanted $3000, was offered $1000 and the came down to $1500 and the selling price was $1300. :think:

The one I have has the most provenence I have seen of the 5.

Kurt

That's pretty darn cool!

I remember that episode on Pawn Stars and wondered if they really had bought it for that price or if it was made for TV as they say?

If you have only seen 5, I assume it's a pretty rare piece and may well be worth that price. Congrats on a neat piece of history.

JD

ludwigh1980

I came across one of those plates here in Colorado for 50 cents at a garage sale. I had it for a couple of years and then sold it on ebay. Got $100 for it, which I thought was pretty good. Sold it to a U-boat collector,..... in the same town I live in. At the time I could not find a thing on it except the info on both vessels.

Terry in Colorado

• 1 year later...

Was just watching a rerun of "Pawn Stars" and saw the chunk of steel souvenir from the U-68.

When I was a kid back in the late 50' or early 60's I remember seeing chunks of steel that cut out of the U505 to make the entrance and exit.

They were sold at the souvenir stand and were stamped U-505 MSI. Always wished I had bought one.

Kurt,

What an outstanding grouping.

When the U-505 display had it's grand opening , they invited crew members of the USS Guadalcanal to a ceremony and dinner. The ones that showed up were given a small print with a depiction of the U-boat semi sinking with a old ghost pirate like ship behind it. It was a black and white print. I had it mounted and to the back I laminated the original invitation. These 2 paper items came in a WW2 vet grouping. When they first opened they took the steel pieces that were removed from the hull for the entrance /exit holes and cut them into about 1 1/2 inch squares and stamped them U-505 and sold them in the souvenir shop early on. Over the years , I picked one of these up and had it mounted to the plaque containing the other 2 pieces. Unfortunately , I traded it away. Still trying to find a picture of it.

Regards, Mitch

• 3 years later...