Questions on Multicam uniform in Afghanistan

all-bull

Hello everyone,

I am trying to become more aware of how the current uniforms are worn, and this picture on the cover of the American Legion magzine brought up a lot of questions for me.

I see three types of boots being worn. I think the first on the left would be "standard", but the other two, especially the grey ones, I know nothing about.

Also, the hockey helmet being worn. Who would wear these types helmets? Am I right to assume that mostly SF/Delta teams would wear these? It is heavily camoed.

Aside from the other differences such as IR flags being worn and not worn, and what seems to be more an foliage ACU colored patch, I would like to know what is on the pocket of the man in the left? Is it a patch, or something in his pocket with a clip? Any help would be great. I'm trying to learn as much as I can now, before it gets lost to history.

Thanks!

post-2063-1344122726.jpg

CNY Militaria

The red tab in his right pocket is a tourniquet. Theater wide policy to wear them there.

The boots are danner combat hikers, private purchase tan ones, and standard civilian hiker boots (sometimes worn at user's discretion).

The guy with the unique helmet is likely working with another agency.

Some of us wore IR flags, some wore subdued patch flags.

Justin

Mercenary25

The helmet is low cut type of ACH, not sure exact which model or maker. Hard to say on this picture. And painted. If you see his uniform, you will see he is wearing a high speed Crye Precision Combat shirt and pants. (note the "built in" elbow and knee pads. I'm thinking he could be USAF CCT assigned to regular army unit.

shawnmt6601

some weird stuff goin on it that picture

the helmet is not a ACH or operator cut

look how slppy it fits

and the muzzle device on the guys M4 in the last pic is a AAC suppressor mount, which is odd for some one not in something special

they all seem to have on the normal Massiff combat shirt but the guy with the weird helmet wearing a crye combat shirt

you sure thats a legit pic and not maybe something made just for the photographer in some pose for a mag cover?

doinworkinvans
some weird stuff goin on it that picture

the helmet is not a ACH or operator cut

look how slppy it fits

and the muzzle device on the guys M4 in the last pic is a AAC suppressor mount, which is odd for some one not in something special

they all seem to have on the normal Massiff combat shirt but the guy with the weird helmet wearing a crye combat shirt

you sure thats a legit pic and not maybe something made just for the photographer in some pose for a mag cover?

I like this answer best...

I still say either USAF CCT or TACP assigned to the unit.

Agreed.

Without getting into organizational stuff on a public forum, that's an Air Force CCT. Saw plenty of them....they like to dress like "operators"...

Real operators don't even wear uniforms in the stan :lol:

Those combat hiker boots are issued to everyone going into theater....they're great, unless your %$^%$^ Sergeant major doesn't like the way they look and bans them from being worn....shipped mine back still with the tags on them. Saw plenty given away or taken to the burn pit.

Thank you everyone, I have learned a whole lot! Like I said, the picture is from the cover of The American Legion magzine, July 2012. I'm not sure if the photo is staged or candid, but here is the capiton about the "on the cover" photo:

Capt. Michael Stewart, commander of Able Company, 3rd Battalion, 66th Armor Regiment, 172nd Infantry Brigade, takes a break with his men during Operation Iron Mountain Goat II out of Combat Outpost Bad Pakh in Afghanistan's Laghman Province. Photo taken by 1st Sgt Philip Stephen Jarivs.

Brian Keith

The Danner Combat Hiker boots I was issued are more brown in color and look slightly different than the good captains' here. But, they suffer from the same problem; I can't keep the laces tucked in, just like in the above photo. I only wear them outside the wire. My SGM doesn’t mind them and he lives in the next room to me, he doesn’t like the sun hats, but tolerates them. There is a wide variety of footwear seen here in Afghanistan. These multicam uniforms work much better here than the glow in the dark ACU's!

MSG BKW

Agreed.

Without getting into organizational stuff on a public forum, that's an Air Force CCT. Saw plenty of them....they like to dress like "operators"...

Real operators don't even wear uniforms in the stan :lol:

Those combat hiker boots are issued to everyone going into theater....they're great, unless your %$^%$^ Sergeant major doesn't like the way they look and bans them from being worn....shipped mine back still with the tags on them. Saw plenty given away or taken to the burn pit.

I concur, along with the others who have done so. Had many of them attached to me "back in the day".

• 2 years later...