REMEMBER RIO HATO Panama 1989

BIGGREG

Gang,

Just a few bring backs from OJC. Patchs from several of the elements at and around Rio Hato. The T-shirt is from a sort of PDF "olympics" or something like that. I had a MdM T-shirt for a long time but it's long gone...

post-82150-0-87717500-1349711547_thumb.jpg

A Macho de Monte beret...I have only seen this one in tiger strip...I have looked over photos of the company in formation to see if I could spot the origian owner but nothing. The wings were not originally on the beret but they were with the beret so I added them so they would not be lost or seperated.

post-82150-0-84893200-1349711822_thumb.jpg

This uniform belonged the commandant of the NCO academy at Rio Hato. His office was part of our main objective (A Co). I grabbed the uniform the next day because it was unique. I have seen photos of Noriega wearing this pattern of uniform. Not sure where it originally came from.

post-82150-0-51107600-1349711949_thumb.jpg

This is the ragtop I wore into Rio Hato. If I recall correctly we made them just prior to leaving for our initial staging area. The Platoon Sergeant brought up several large trash bags with DX-ed BDU tops and LSS netting. We cut the metal rivets out of the LSS and then shredded the BDE tops. The strips are about 1 inch wide and about 3 inches long from the knot. The ragtops were tied into the helmet lining with gutted 550 cord. This was the first and only time we ever used something like this. I can attest to it staying on my head as I was the assistance jumpmaster on chalk 2 and did several old school door checks and it did not blow off. As stated early, we wore them for about a week and then took them off at the same time we stopped camo-ing our faces. If I had it to do all over I would have bagged my whole uniform and my K-pot. As it was, most of us came back and just went back to work. The uniform I wore and all my gear went away over time. This is the only thing I have that I wore into Panama aside from a few personal items. Enjoy!

post-82150-0-33701900-1349712097_thumb.jpg

militariaone

Nice Posts ranger2/75, it was nice to see your stash too. Still have my uniform, but alas not my Manchu-hair/ragtop. I feel old with this stuff now being collectable. Yep, old.

Regards,

Lance

• 4 months later...
Fender Rhodes
6) Engineer tape? Not sure what you are talking about. We did wear a certain type of tape that I will not go into but only at night and I can assure you it was not E-tape. Some units may have worn it for ID but we did not. We did carry an 18" piece to mark our chute after a tree landing but no one would be caught wearing it on their arm unless they were dead and their buddy did it as a joke. Just my 2 cents!

CSM Kennedy,

I believe that was a reference to IR glint tape as you stated. I'm not sure if you guys wore it, but I know Rangers wore it in Grenada. I've seen pics from Chip Beyer who was with 3/75 during Just Cause and I didn't see any on the Rangers in those pics. Its a fairly common issue item now...or at least it was. During OIF1 my unit was issued sheets of black IR visible rigid 'stickyback'. We cut them into squares and affixed them to our sleeves, helmets, boonies, etc. Now the stuff is pre-sewn onto the new ACU/MCU uniforms and handed out as subdued velcro American flag patches. I'm sure you've probably seen them.

Best,

FR

PS Awesome shot of your bringback K-pot. Thanks for sharing it!

• 9 months later...

This uniform belonged the commandant of the NCO academy at Rio Hato. His office was part of our main objective (A Co). I grabbed the uniform the next day because it was unique. I have seen photos of Noriega wearing this pattern of uniform. Not sure where it originally came from.

Beautiful tiger Uniform from PDF