WWII Patch on History Detectives

gunbarrel

vintageproductions

Not 100% positive, but I believe those exact same two patches were posted here on the forum, maybe last year. Same bug bites and everything on the borders.

Johnny Signor

Yeah , they were , I had a small part in leading the guy on the episode to the ID , he sent me copies of the original art work from the pile of stuff they found , good to see at least it got ID'd and will get a good home between them all !

Johnny

Johnny Signor
Look Austrailian made

I agree , aussy for sure !

If you watch the clip the older veteran in the airplane with Wes compares the 320th "Moby Dick" patch to the Unofficial" variation" of the 320th, they're very close in colors and especially the manufacturing .

Johnny Signor

The owner of the patch has stated that he is considering offering the one patch up for sale , I'm sure it being a very RARE patch as it is and with good "provanance" of it's type etc he should be able to get a substantial price for it , how many of them could still be out there ..........................

I am in contact with him , interested people can contact me and I'll refer you on to him...........................

Johnny

Good to see W. Woods alive and kicking!

I've collected 90th BG items for years and never would have guessed this piece was related to the 320th BS.

Nice to see everything turned out well. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
Not 100% positive, but I believe those exact same two patches were posted here on the forum, maybe last year. Same bug bites and everything on the borders.

Well, I can say 1st hand that you are 100% correct! They are the same 2 patches that I posted about a year or so ago (moth bites & all) Also, Johnny S. did spend some considerable time helping to try and ID the patches. (Thanks Johnny) I also have to give credit where credit is due,,,, If Capt. Potters son Bruce didn't have his Dads photo album with the Original artwork of the patch, it would have never been ID'd whatsoever. Bruce & I spent a few hours together after the filming and explained to me the reason how my brother Jack (legitimately) found the footlocker, at a dumpster area of a grocery store, that contained the papers and patches. All of the credit of 'Re-uniting' this material back to Capt. Potters son was because of my brother Jack.

On another note, although I am very 'attached' to the patch, and have it in my possesion, Johnny is correct in saying that it could be possibly offered up for sale to the right person/institution...Anyone interested should contact me directly.

**Also anyone interested may view the Potter website containg his Photo album and 2 diaries at >> http://binary7design.com/lbpotter/

-Mike McCune (MikeGyver)

Johnny Signor

I'm really surprised that no one has jumped at wanting to buy the patch , it is up for sale along with some documents/info , it has to be a VERY rare one and I'm sure only a few of them seeing as they only had about 3 there , one on the jacket and two loose ones , the photo album had a black and white shot of the art work they used to make the patch from , a little variation in the birds facial features , but the rest of the patch is just liek the sketch .

A rare one indeed I'd say !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnny

I'm really surprised that no one has jumped at wanting to buy the patch , it is up for sale along with some documents/info , it has to be a VERY rare one and I'm sure only a few of them seeing as they only had about 3 there , one on the jacket and two loose ones , the photo album had a black and white shot of the art work they used to make the patch from , a little variation in the birds facial features , but the rest of the patch is just liek the sketch .

A rare one indeed I'd say !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnny

Johnny, wanting to buy and being able to buy are two very different things...especially this day and age. It could be that this seller listed these on EBay for $20,000 before he had them identified.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry936812

I realize he was probably just using EBay to dig up info, but clearly in his mind it's the rarest patch on the planet and he says he's "very attatched to it". Who's going to waste their time trying to make an offer on something like that? I suspect that he's going to be the owner for a long time until he starts at least indicating a more realistic price for it and let's the community know what his asking price might be. There's maybe a handful of collectors willing to pay what he's hoping for and evidently theiy're not interested. Jeffro

Johnny, wanting to buy and being able to buy are two very different things...especially this day and age. It could be that this seller listed these on EBay for $20,000 before he had them identified.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry936812

I realize he was probably just using EBay to dig up info, but clearly in his mind it's the rarest patch on the planet and he says he's "very attatched to it". Who's going to waste their time trying to make an offer on something like that? I suspect that he's going to be the owner for a long time until he starts at least indicating a more realistic price for it and let's the community know what his asking price might be. There's maybe a handful of collectors willing to pay what he's hoping for and evidently theiy're not interested. Jeffro

As noted, that ebay auction was a year ago and I'd guess that it was indeed an attempt to put out there in hopes of getting some information on the ID, more than attempt to sell it (although I'm sure that attachment would have lessened with a $20K BIN buyer).

rarepatchebay.jpg

FS, very true. It is a great patch with a really cool story as well. To me, it just sounds like Mike is not that interested in selling it unless he gets the right offer from somebody. I'm afraid it's a bit like the hottest girl in school never having a date because everyone's too afraid to ask for fear of rejection at this point. Perhaps when the stardom has worn off and Mike feels less attached to it someone with deep pockets will come forward. I've tried selling things on that premis of best offer with no upper limit indicated and have found that most big buyers prefer to have a set price from which to negotiate from or accept. That's just been my experience though. I'm certain it will be sold at some point. Jeffro

I have over the years had some very very rare squadron and group patches.I have also owned a lot of patches just made for a specific crew or a specific plane.The only thing that makes this patch any different than any other is the fact it made a National TV show.A normal Aussie made Squadron patch sells on a good day for 500.00 becase this one was shown on TV its something I would pay 1000.00 for.There are a lot rarer squadron patches than than this specific planes insignia.If it were me I would relist the patch on ebay with an explanation that this was THEEEE patch on history detectives and two guys might get into a bidding war and drive the price crazy.Scotty

Johnny Signor

I have had phone conversations with Mike, the E bay "Bid " was just a way of garnering attention to the patch in hopes of getting the ID and was done before the TV show ID, Mike wants to sell the patch , He is willing to sell the patch and the documents he has for a much much less cost than the e bay "quote" contact him direct I'm sure you'll see he's not trying to be greedy about it

His e mail is

[email protected]

and his name is Mike McCune

Johnny

Johnny Signor
I have had phone conversations with Mike, the E bay "Bid " was just a way of garnering attention to the patch in hopes of getting the ID and was done before the TV show ID, Mike wants to sell the patch , He is willing to sell the patch and the documents he has for a much much less cost than the e bay "quote" contact him direct I'm sure you'll see he's not trying to be greedy about it

His e mail is

[email protected]

and his name is Mike McCune

Johnny

Note to anyone who may ahev tried his email earlier , I posted it incorrectly , I left out one "o" in the adress, it is correct now .

Johnny