AH-1F Cobra Restoration

Viking528

In my quest to keep our military treasures from becoming Dr. Pepper cans, I snagged a 79 Cobra from WA department of forestry service before they chopped it up. I have all the right parts either in hand or coming and we will mount her on a pole in front of our new Veterans Resource Center. I could use all the 2" engine gauges if anyone has any. What a great job. I will be out stripping out the dead weight at 0 dark hundred in the morning. by 11 she will be too hot to touch. it was 107 in Dallas yesterday.

post-8785-1344045745.jpg

Any idea if those markings are original? Or somebody's postwar fantasy?

That's how we got her. Dont know where she was. The army gave the forestry service 25 to serve as firesnakes and this one was a spare for parts. they are upgrading and unloading all 25. since they are combat systems, they have to stay in the government circle or be scrapped.

That's how we got her. Dont know where she was. The army gave the forestry service 25 to serve as firesnakes and this one was a spare for parts. they are upgrading and unloading all 25. since they are combat systems, they have to stay in the government circle or be scrapped.

it's looking like 278 ACR 1st Squadron TN Air Guard.

Cool. Some of the model makers on here might want close ups of the markings before you paint them over.

Nice one! We just got another one for the museum I volunteer at, like yours just arrived in the last surplus batch from Washington state. Came with a truckload of parts. We have a number of WA Cobras but none I've seen come with that sort of paint. Good luck with the project!

-Johannes

ours kinda did too. since ours will be up on a pole, I am stripping out the interior and mechanicals. let me know if you need any parts. for my pilot instrument panel, I am looking for the 2" engine instruments. It will go on display inside my museum hallway in the main hospital. I like the sharkface so much, I am keeping it on.

Cobrahistorian

TN ARMY Guard.

Let me know if you need anything reference-wise. I've got plenty on the F model Snake. If she's a 79 model, chances are, she may have seen combat in Desert Storm, but more than likely doesn't have a combat history.

Have you got the gun turret or sensor bucket?

Jon

TN ARMY Guard.

Let me know if you need anything reference-wise. I've got plenty on the F model Snake. If she's a 79 model, chances are, she may have seen combat in Desert Storm, but more than likely doesn't have a combat history.

Have you got the gun turret or sensor bucket?

Jon

we will have to fabricate, but it does not hurt to be 20 miles from the Hurst Plant. We get great support from bell. I have a crate of interior bits and parts if anyone needs a souvenier ;)

we will have to fabricate, but it does not hurt to be 20 miles from the Hurst Plant. We get great support from bell. I have a crate of interior bits and parts if anyone needs a souvenier ;)

she does have some field patches in the boom.

she does have some field patches in the boom.

Serial # 79-23203 if you can find anything out Jon. I have a pile of a/c seat cushions if you want one.

Cobrahistorian
Serial # 79-23203 if you can find anything out Jon. I have a pile of a/c seat cushions if you want one.

Might be tempted to take you up on that! Where exactly are you located in North Texas, I'd love to come down and see the Snake firsthand!

Jon

Might be tempted to take you up on that! Where exactly are you located in North Texas, I'd love to come down and see the Snake firsthand!

Jon

South Dallas right off of I-20. I got the pilot instrument panel out today. wow, they really want them to stay in there.

Once it is up on the pole and the cockpit plexy is painted from the inside, all that stuff will be a time capsule for our grand kids. I have like new collins vhf and uhf radios, front and back sticks, pedals, kevlar seats, you name it...

• 3 weeks later...
Cobrahistorian
South Dallas right off of I-20. I got the pilot instrument panel out today. wow, they really want them to stay in there.

Once it is up on the pole and the cockpit plexy is painted from the inside, all that stuff will be a time capsule for our grand kids. I have like new collins vhf and uhf radios, front and back sticks, pedals, kevlar seats, you name it...

My in-laws are in DeSoto. We'll have to swing by the next time we're down that way!

I use Joe Baugher's site quite a bit. That number falls into the correct range for AH-1F models (79-23187 thru 79-23252) but that particular serial number is missing from the list. Closest on the list are:

79-23201 (c/n 22246, AH-1F) noted in storage at Fort Drum, NY. May 21, 2001

79-23204 (c/n 22249, FAH-1S) w/o May 18, 1985.

23202 and 23203 are missing.

Hah! Excellent idea! That's a military loving man's version of "re-purposing" something!

Now if you can only get it rigged up to move the cursor across the screen when you put a flight helmet on and then turn your head from side to side...

MW

for serious flight sim enthsaiasts, they have that available. not cheap, but it does follow your head movements. for the second one, we are fabricating a fuselage mock up with the seats and other cockpit surrounds. we will use a projector to make the image really big.

for serious flight sim enthsaiasts, they have that available. not cheap, but it does follow your head movements. for the second one, we are fabricating a fuselage mock up with the seats and other cockpit surrounds. we will use a projector to make the image really big.

Glad to see I'm not the only serious flight simmer and congrats on saving one from the scap heap. Our UH-1M gunship would have met the same fate. Served with Charlie Darkhorse, Taipans and 170th. My dream is a Huey cockpit trainer. Until then I do 3D work, repaints and research rotors.

:thumbsup:

post-2582-1346727274.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Newbie like to say hello to all COBRA fans at first. Great to found your posts. Could anybody suply me with some detail pictures and dimensions of the pilots seat and the air condition panels of the main dash board cover ?

I am located in Germany and I am bulding a TAH-1F cockpit simulator since 3 years and still have a lot do do. Only have some small pictures and the TM 55-1520-236 ff.

Appreciate to get some feedback.

Thank you all

Andy

• 11 months later...

Hello, my name is Cody. I am a cobra enthusiast. I am currently rebuilding an AH-1F cockpit. I will be down in Lancaster, TX for CockpitFest-USA during Labor Day weekend. I'd love to come out and see your bird.