Sign in to follow this  
collector

Garand cleaning kit question

My Garand is an 11-53 that appears to have the original receiver/barrel combination, and the finish seems accurate too.

I have a model M1 cleaning kit, the one in the khaki case, but my question is about the other type.

This M1 is the only rifle in my collection without a buttstock cleaning kit (for those that use a buttstock kit).

In searching, I find the:

1.) Combination tool with brush, and long plastic oiler containing the weighted line (like the later '03 kit) and with the small lube jar that are WW2

2.) The steel rod with combo tool handle in the dark OD bag with long plastic oiler and small lube bottle (late WW2 and Korea?)

3.) The bagged rod with handle and a short plastic oiler. I have been told that the short plastic oiler started with the M14.

Would I be correct in thinking that the second of the three versions -steel rod with combo tool handle in the dark OD bag with long plastic oiler and small grease bottle- would be correct for my 1953 M1?

And finally, for #2, since the grease was in the small jar, and the weighted thong was not necessary, what would go in the former thong/weight part of the long plastic oiler?

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I think either #1 or #2 would be OK in your rifle's buttstock for the time period of the weapon. The other side of the plastic container usually held the combo tool handle you described, also cleaning patches and a small rag were usually added to prevent rattle and to have on hand. Just my opinion.

Hi all, I think that selection #2 would be more appropriate for your '53 M1, and an OD#7 M1 sling. Any of the earlier equipment would be OK, but by 1953 in the Korean War, most of the earlier equipment would've probably been replaced with current spec. materiel

You're right about the short, two cell oiler, it was developed during the T-44 project, which of course became the M14.

Sorry, no refunds on opinions...............have a nice day

This computin' machine has got alotta buttons on it...........................where's the "ANY" key?

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.