Airbourne Cushman 53 Motor Scooter Drawings/Plans

BC312

Anyone have plans and drawings with measurements of the Airborne Cushman 53 Motor scooter, mainly the frame and forks or where i can get them from?

Ask the Nebraska State Historical Society. They were made in Lincoln, NE and they have one in their collection. Cushman is long gone bought out by some foreign company then closed. The University of Nebraska now owns the factory building.

You might try the CCOA. Lots of knowlege in that group.

Cushman Club of America

Regards,

Jim

I have tried a few places but not much luck. I am quite surprised that nobody hasn't made a replica yet, looks so easy to make compaired to other things i have made before.

Johan Willaert

There was a replica on Ebay and at Beltring two weeks ago, fitted with a Honda Engine

Check Ebay Item 280896627332

There was a replica on Ebay and at Beltring two weeks ago, fitted with a Honda Engine

Check Ebay Item 280896627332

Most probably end up copying a real one if i can find anyone in the UK who has one. There's a company here in the UK who makes the WW2 British airborne Wellbike and spares http://www.welbikeuk.com/about.php I am surprised that our enterprising American cousins or anyone else have not done the same with the airborne Cushman, seeing the stupid money they can fetch for such a very simple design.

Anyway i have downloaded pictures and bought a manual. Just need to find a scooter and dig out the verniers :think: next project for the drawing board.

Another option might be to locate a chassis off of a Cushman 53A (civilian airborne) or one of the civilian Model 30 or 50 series as a starting point and make the appropriate changes. The military M53 was a modification of the commercial models Cushman was building at the time, including the engine.

Just a thought.

Jim

Another option might be to locate a chassis off of a Cushman 53A (civilian airborne) or one of the civilian Model 30 or 50 series as a starting point and make the appropriate changes. The military M53 was a modification of the commercial models Cushman was building at the time, including the engine.

Just a thought.

Jim

Sounds the best way to go but unfortunately Airborne Cushman 53 scooters are more common than the civilian models here in the UK and Europe. How common is the Husky engine and transmission in the US as this would be a slight problem matching a similar type engine to fit. It would be better than fitting a modern Honda engine.

I suspect it would be fairly easy to find a frame and a Husky engine here in the states. Shipping to the UK would be another matter however. Go online to the Cushman Club of America and the Texas Cushman Club websites. Both have links to various dealers in scooters and parts. Below is a link that might be of help as well. Best of luck with your project.

Jim

http://www.hobbytech.com/DealersPage/cushman_dealers.htm

I suspect it would be fairly easy to find a frame and a Husky engine here in the states. Shipping to the UK would be another matter however. Go online to the Cushman Club of America and the Texas Cushman Club websites. Both have links to various dealers in scooters and parts. Below is a link that might be of help as well. Best of luck with your project.

Jim

http://www.hobbytech.com/DealersPage/cushman_dealers.htm

Thanks for the link Jim, a 53a would be a good start, just need to do a bit of investigation work.