GAR & Span Am Veteran Post Flags

tigerfan

Just aquired these three flags from a local museum deaquistion. At first I thought they were fraternal related. The top flag is GAR and the bottom two are Span Am veterans post flags. They are nice size to display and two came with the original poles.

post-2609-1343938914.jpg

Very nice veteran association flags.

These small size flags had a variety of uses. Some were used as line markers or in the manner of guidons while some were used to wave at parades and conventions.

Here is a small size GAR Division flag that is similar to your flags. Notice that it is finged and made of silky material and is one sided only.

GAR_unit_flag.JPG

Here is another parade type GAR post flag on its stick. One will find both Union and Confederate flags of this type.

GAR_post_flag.JPG

Tigerfan,

Here is one of my favorite small GAR flags. This one is silk and dates to the 1800s with 38 stars (Colorado was admitted as the "Centenial State" in 1876). Notice the GAR medal in the center of the field of stars.

GAR_medal_flag.JPG

GAR_medal_flag_field.JPG

These small flags are just the right size to collect and display. They seldom turn up though and are hard to find in my experience.

These flags are amazing. They would display nicely if framed, I would imagine. If I weren't committed to keeping my collection focused, I would have to start seeking these flags out!

SARGE, the flag with the G.A.R. membership badge is fantastic!

Kevin

I put each flag in a poster frame that I forgot I had. The span am flags are embroidered while the GAR flag has a gold painted design. All three are double sided and would look great hanging in a military room.

post-2609-1344098327.jpg

post-2609-1344098318.jpg

post-2609-1344098295.jpg

While not a post flag specifically, this is a flag for the Auxiliary to the United Spanish War Veterans (A.U.S.W.V.). This flag came from the John F. Critchlow Camp No. 3, Salt Lake City, Utah.

AUSWV_flag_800.jpg

Kevin

Great flags!

Tigerfan your flags look super when they are framed. Just the right size for display.

Here are a couple of period framed flag pictures. The first shows a GAR flag that I have never seen in real life and the second shows a panoplay of Confederate flags. The Confederate flag picture was sold as a fund raiser for the United Daughteres of the Confederacy organization. I presume the GAR flag picture served the same purpose for the WRC or GAR.

GAR_flag_picture.JPG

UCV_flag_picture.JPG