My Visit to the Airborne & Special Operations Museum

Championhilz

Championhilz

This past weekend I visited the Airborne & Special Operations Museum with my father-in-law. We both enjoyed the museum very much, and I want to share some of my photos from the trip. If you are ever in Fayetteville, North Carolina, I highly recommend a trip to the museum:

Airborne & Special Operations Museum

100 Bragg Boulevard

Fayetteville, Nc 28301

www.asomf.org

(910) 643-2779

This was the sight that greeted me as I came through the main entrance:

GamingPicturesJune232012004-1.jpg

Before we even entered the main museum area, we found a special exhibit on special operations soldiers who were captured by the Vietcong during the Vietnam War:

GamingPicturesJune232012005-1.jpg

Display of Vietcong clothing:

GamingPicturesJune232012007-1.jpg

Vietcong Weapons:

GamingPicturesJune232012008-1.jpg

GamingPicturesJune232012006-1.jpg

GamingPicturesJune232012014-1.jpg

GamingPicturesJune232012015-1.jpg

GamingPicturesJune232012011-1.jpg

GamingPicturesJune232012013-1.jpg

Championhilz

World War II Display Pictures:

GamingPicturesJune232012019-1.jpg

GamingPicturesJune232012020-1.jpg

Crosley Pup:

GamingPicturesJune232012023-1.jpg

Captured Italian Parascooter:

GamingPicturesJune232012024-1.jpg

GamingPicturesJune232012029-1.jpg

GamingPicturesJune232012031-1.jpg

GamingPicturesJune232012032-1.jpg

GamingPicturesJune232012033-1.jpg

GamingPicturesJune232012034-1.jpg

GamingPicturesJune232012035-1.jpg

Thanks for posting these. It looks like a good balance between showing stuff and telling a story. I haven't been in the area since they built this museum but will be sure to go when I'm in the Bragg area next time!

Looks like an Excellent Museum :thumbsup: with Top Quality Items inside of it, Like the Early M-41 Para Jump Jacket.

And Thanks for sharing the Photos with us, It looks like a Massive Museum from inside well worth going to.

THanks for posting.I have always wondered what the museum was like.

In the Operation Acid Gambit display they spelled the name of Mr.Muse incorrectly.I believe his name is Kurt...not Hurt

It is a great museum, andas a reminder to everyone on the forum, on Saturday the 18th of AUG, the ASOM is celebrating National Airborne Day, with static displays of current equipment from XVIII ABN Corps units, 82d ABN DIV, SOCOM, and jump demos from the Golden Knights & Black Daggers - I'll be there with about 20 other Airborne reenactors from WWII thru Desert Storm as part of the 82d Airborne Division Museum's Living History Detachment (LHD)

And if you're ever in Fayetteville again, drop me a line - I live about 800m from the ASOM!

A GREAT follow up would be a visit to the 82d Airborne Division Museum on Fort Bragg, which I can help with if need be

H-MINUS!

For sure you will be taking and POSTING HERE MANY pix, right?

While you are at it, please ask the Golden Knights about their uniforms (jumpsuits). I used to think that the Gold and Black Teams each wore suits of the respective colors. BUT NO!!! Internet surfing shows no rhyme nor reason...sometimes gold, sometimes black, and even different suits in use in the same season/group of pix. And what patches are worn and where they are placed changes too.

AND what LBE is current/official with the 82nd? Again, trying to search the web only confuses things.

WWII Parachutist

It's a great museum and worth the trip. Only thing I noticed was the poor quality of the reproduction T-5's they had displayed.

Overall, a great museum

Is the SF Museum still open to the public as well?

It sure is, as is the 82d Museum - just have to go thru the security checkpoint to get on post

craig_pickrall

Thanks for the info. Do they still have the great gift shop? They used to have some very good books there.

For sure you will be taking and POSTING HERE MANY pix, right?

While you are at it, please ask the Golden Knights about their uniforms (jumpsuits). I used to think that the Gold and Black Teams each wore suits of the respective colors. BUT NO!!! Internet surfing shows no rhyme nor reason...sometimes gold, sometimes black, and even different suits in use in the same season/group of pix. And what patches are worn and where they are placed changes too.

AND what LBE is current/official with the 82nd? Again, trying to search the web only confuses things.

Troopers assigned to the Division are issued the standard MOLLE II Equipment set (in foliage green) - although if deploying to Afghanistan they are re-issued everything in Multicam

Many troopers purchase their own kit as well (Tactical Tailor, Paraclete, etc.)