spent the morning in a B-17G

renfield

Cobrahistorian

I didn't realize there was a P-51B flying in 31st FG markings! Those are the personal markings of the Group Commander, Charles McCorkle.

Fantastic pictures, Steve! Thanks for posting them. I was lucky enough to tour a B-17G about twenty years ago and could not believe how cramped the quarters were! When looking at the entire plane it's easy to over estimate the room inside. What those young airmen endured and accomplished never ceases to amaze me.

A few years after that another B-17G (Sentimental Journey) was on display at the same airport, along with a Spanish version of an He-111 (a CASA-2111). I was short on time and was only able to tour the He-111, which sadly crashed in Wyoming in 2003 claiming the lives of the pilot and co-pilot. I have never taken a ride on a B-17, but would love to do so! Another item for the Bucket List! ;)

Kevin

post-5349-1344434748.jpgThanks for all the nice words. I had a great time that day. I could still kick myself for not getting pictures of the veterans. Here is a picture of the center controls, the throttles and foot pedals.

• 2 weeks later...
In January 2011 I went to see Nine-0-Nine in Boca Raton. While there I had the pleasure

to meet and speak to James "Reddo" Redmond,B-17 Pilot 351st Bomb Group , 509th

Squadron. I enjoyed talking to him about his time with the Mighty 8th, in particular the Scweinfurt Missions that he flew on. Sadly he passed on in November of 2011...Here's a photo of him signing his book " Reddo's Raiders"

Thanks for the information on Mr. Redmond, I met him in Stuart, FL probably 3-4 years ago. He was there with the B-17, and I too have his book, quite the interesting read. But again thanks, because that was years ago, and I had wondered if he was still living. :salute:

Thought you all might enjoy a couple of pics from the pilot's perspective on Memphis Belle.

I took the pics last Sunday.

Best, John

post-12439-1346198837.jpg

post-12439-1346198847.jpg