spent the morning in a B-17G

renfield

post-5349-1343925914.jpgThe 9 0 9 came to our local ariport so I took the day off work and went to see her. I got some nice pictures and met 3 8th AAF veterans. One had flown 51 missions as a ball turret gunner. Hope you like the pictures.

Steve

post-5349-1343926649.jpg i have about 150 more pictures but I do not think the mods would like me to post any more.

I had a great time.

Steve

5thwingmarty

Try to imagine what it was like for them when the plane was bouncing around at 30,000 feet when it was 40 below, wearing 40 or 50 pounds of gear including an oxygen mask and portable bottle. Then try to imagine being that high, standing in the bombbay, not wearing your parachute because it was too bulky to move around in, trying to get a couple of 500-pound bombs unhung with only a screwdriver and a pair of pliers. Gives you a whole new respect for the guys who did it day after day.

Marty

post-5349-1343927664.jpgHere is a view of the nose section.

Now thats an office with a view.

Been in a B17 and B24.Most people dont realize how crammed they are.Never flown in one but have toured a few at our local airport and Oshkosh.

Going to be a 51 here locally on sunday August 6th.

Try to imagine what it was like for them when the plane was bouncing around at 30,000 feet when it was 40 below, wearing 40 or 50 pounds of gear including an oxygen mask and portable bottle. Then try to imagine being that high, standing in the bombbay, not wearing your parachute because it was too bulky to move around in, trying to get a couple of 500-pound bombs unhung with only a screwdriver and a pair of pliers. Gives you a whole new respect for the guys who did it day after day.

Marty

Or being to tall to fit in the ball turret.A relative in the 15th AAF was a gunner/radio operator but when he got to Italy and assigned to the unit they needed a ball gunner.He got the job.In order for them to close the lid he had to basiclly twist or lay his head at an angle.He told me he always carried his 45 with him as he had seen a plane land with the ball down.He wasnt sure if the gunner was alive when they touched down but he stated he wouldnt be if it happned to him.

bronxboymike

Steve, Thanks for posting the pics, I love the second picture. I have only seen a B-17 from a distance, so the close ups are cool.

Mike

post-5349-1343942194.jpgYou can take a short ride for a cool $425.00. If I had the money I would have done it. I have to answer to a higher power though........my wife. Right now I just couldn't do it. There is always next year.

Steve

Johnny Signor

Hey awesome shot of 909 , but you should have gotten shots of the 8th veterans too , I'm sure the forum members would have liked to see them and knwo who they were ......................

I have got to see 909 a few times and was all over and in her too, she'a beaut for sure , the modified two place P-51 b/c is awesome also , got to see kermit weeks Red Tails bird awhile back and the other red tail at another airshow , always LOVVVVVVVVVED that 51 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

post-5349-1343944284.jpgJohnny ....you are so right about getting pictures of the veterans I spoke with. I thought about that as I was driving home.

History Man

Those are great pics! I went inside the B17 outside the Chino Air Museum and I can also agree that it is a tight fit. Those guys had to be tough as nails to do that kind of job. I cant imagine what it was like when flak was bursting around the arcraft or when they were attacked by enemy fighters.

Philip

Great photos of 909, I think it is the best restored B-17, and I've been in several of them. Several years ago I took my Dad to see and go through Aluminum Overcast, he was a WWII Infantry vet and couldn't believe how small the insides were. Going through the bomb bay, he remarked how did they do that with all that gear on. His cousin flew in the same squadron as the real Aluminum Overcast and was Operations Officer on the mission she went down. A few weeks ago 909, their B-24 and the P-51 was here, but it was too hot to go out, the air conditioner was broke down in my car. 909 did fly over the house once when it was here.

In January 2011 I went to see Nine-0-Nine in Boca Raton. While there I had the pleasure

to meet and speak to James "Reddo" Redmond,B-17 Pilot 351st Bomb Group , 509th

Squadron. I enjoyed talking to him about his time with the Mighty 8th, in particular the Scweinfurt Missions that he flew on. Sadly he passed on in November of 2011...Here's a photo of him signing his book " Reddo's Raiders"

post-13070-1344395080.jpg