John Ek Commando Knives (1941-1976)

gunbarrel

Thanks Rob,

Great collection. I especially like the Ek with the fuller. I've never seen one like it before. Was that factory done or do you think that it was added later?

Glenn

joefriday22

Thank you Glenn. I believe the fuller is factory done because the "John Ek" stamping appears to have been applied after the fuller was made but I've never seen another with a fuller so I'm a bit perplexed by it myself.

Best,

Rob

• 5 weeks later...
usknivesnmore

Hello everybody and congratulations for post, very interresting.

Here is a pic of my WWII John EK knives collection.

A serie with lanyard hole and another one without ( except model 7)

post-168090-0-33226900-1523442521_thumb.jpg

All the best

Eric

joefriday22

Quite a grand entrance there Eric. Largest collection of Ek's I've seen, that's for sure. Certainly shows a lot of hard work and dedication to your interest in Ek's.

Much thanks for sharing.

Best,

Rob

• 11 months later...

I was at the Baltimore Show a couple weeks ago and found an Ek #2 that had a "Whitney Manufacturing" marking etched on it. Seller said he had it authenticated by Ek's son and showed me the paperwork.

I was told that Whitney was where John Ek started as a machinist before he started his company. Has anyone here ever seen or heard of one before?

Wanted a ridiculous amount of $ for it, but was sure interesting. Don't want to post a pic because it is not my knife.

I was at the Baltimore Show a couple weeks ago and found an Ek #2 that had a "Whitney Manufacturing" marking etched on it. Seller said he had it authenticated by Ek's son and showed me the paperwork.

I was told that Whitney was where John Ek started as a machinist before he started his company. Has anyone here ever seen or heard of one before?

Wanted a ridiculous amount of $ for it, but was sure interesting. Don't want to post a pic because it is not my knife.

Sorry - just checked my notes. It was "Whitney Machine Works". It was marked by the ricasso.

• 11 months later...

Hello everyone, I picked this one up and would like to share it with you all. I have read Gun Barrel's post and it is very informative, Thank you. This one has a Model 1 blade with the wooden Model 5 style handle. It is marked " Whitney Machine Shop " on one side and " B 78 " on the other. I assume it is one of his early ones before the name and number stampings. I appreciate any comments or information.

Thank you, Capt. Case

PS sorry about the double photo, couldn't get it do delete

post-289680-0-79518400-1584492633.jpg

post-289680-0-32210700-1584492656.jpg

post-289680-0-59680600-1584493207.jpg

• 5 months later...
SKYLINE DRIVE

Great knives!!! On my side of the big pond WWII Ek knives are rare as hen's teeth! I was extremely lucky to find one!

IMG_5320.jpg

IMG_5321.jpg

IMG_5322.jpg

IMG_5323.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is a great collection of EK's you have!  I'm hoping to find a nice number 9 and a Thrower to add to my collection.   I was lucky to find that early knife and when I bought it I knew it looked like an EK but at the time was not familiar with the marking. It was only after I did some research that I realized how early it was.  

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

My modest Ek collection.

I only own three Ek knives at this time.

But, I do enjoy this maker.

I'll buy more..

I never liked the silhouette of the "big handle" knives, and then I found one and realized, I could really do some damage with this little wasp in a scrap!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 1 year later...
Knucklehead

Update on my EK's... just missing a floating knife now if anyone knows of any with a chance of being for sale

20230528_190220~2.jpg

1 hour ago, Knucklehead said:

Update on my EK's... just missing a floating knife now if anyone knows of any with a chance of being for sale

20230528_190220~2.jpg

Contact Bill Walters  He may have an EK floater.

Knucklehead
Just now, doyler said:

Contact Bill Walters  He may have an EK floater.

He does but he is far from ready to let it go 😪

• 5 months later...
11 hours ago, Knucklehead said:

Have a floating knife inbound! Collection will be "complete"!

Screenshot_20231113_210401_eBay.jpg

Congratulations Knucklehead. I watched the auction with keen interest.  Seller had three very early John EK's to bid on. Rare opportunity.