John Ek Commando Knives (1941-1976)

gunbarrel

So on this model #2 , would it be #431 or is it "O" series #431 ?

Thank you, Mandy and byf41 for the kind words. A couple of months ago I acquired an "as is" #9 ("Marine") that I need to photograph and post.

byf41, IMHO your #2 is "O" series #431. And what nice specimens you have! The one inscribed by the Marine is a real treasure. Have you attempted to do any research on it?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one in my collection to throw into the mix. I think I may have contacted GB via personal message about this one, but I figure I'd share it with the group. Looks to be an altered/custom Model 3.

post-9280-0-13826000-1374031689.jpg

Note the strange hole in the modified, bolo-style handle.

By the way, these images were originally taken by Gary Ruleford. I purchased the knife from him. If he or anyone has any objection to me posting them here, I will remove them. I do own this knife, however.

post-9280-0-94892700-1374031781.jpg

Capajo02,

I like that knife. I remember when we talked about it; thank you for posting it. I don't know about Gary, but John gave me permission to use his pictures. I always give him credit like you did with Gary, though.

• 4 weeks later...

I can remember Mr. Ek Sr. setting up at some early 1970's Florida Gun Collector's shows. To show how "dumb" I was I never bought not even one as "I thought most looked too much like butcher knives and fish knives". I had just moved from St Aug. when his son started his shop there. I appreciated their roll during WWII, Korea and Vietnam but these knives are just another great Militaria item that has greatly increased in value that I messed-up on and did not buy and save them. Oh well, on about $150.00 a week and a family I couldn't keep very much. :lol: Richard

I arrived in Miami in 1974, a couple years before he died. No gun shows for me them (I was 16), but over the next 3-4 years I developed my since life-long interest in military fighting knives, and it might have been an Ek (model 1), picked up for a fair price in Miami circa 1978, that fueled this interest. I think suwanneetrader is spot on regarding the soft market for Ek blades collecting, something that would change drasticially, due to the "kitchen/utility knife" look. Over time, the Ek "look" grows on 'ya. :D

Almost forgot: many thanks & sincere appreciation to the OP for the time & attention he invested to bring this thread to life. It is informative and engaging.

Almost forgot: many thanks & sincere appreciation to the OP for the time & attention he invested to bring this thread to life. It is informative and engaging.

I appreciate the kind words and I'm very glad you enjoyed it.

Welcome to the Forum!

I am sure we all appreciate the amount of work and study that has gone into this thread, with special thanks to gunbarrel for his research. To help preserve this information, I have pinned the topic for future reference.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice collection! I have a double stamped John Ek knife. Is there any Significance to the flawed marking?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you, Gary. Nice No. 1 you've got there. I'm not aware of any significance to the flawed marking.

I believe that the knife pictured with the War Commission box at beginning of this article may have been mine at one time. Unless there were two model 2's made with the number 095 it is the same knife that was once in my possession. Mine was missing one of the flaps from the box.

If you would like to know how I came by the knife and how it left my possession I would be glad to share that information with you. Let me know if you are interested. Perhaps we can fill in the gaps of where this knife has been.

Best Regards

I believe that the knife pictured with the War Commission box at beginning of this article may have been mine at one time. Unless there were two model 2's made with the number 095 it is the same knife that was once in my possession. Mine was missing one of the flaps from the box.

If you would like to know how I came by the knife and how it left my possession I would be glad to share that information with you. Let me know if you are interested. Perhaps we can fill in the gaps of where this knife has been.

Best Regards

-------------------------------------------

Please, by all means, we'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance for sharing it with us.

• 1 month later...

Don't have any of the older ones but I've continued the tradition of using EK knives in the service. Bought my first, an M3 double edged wasp fighting knife around 86' and have carried that one around the world, first combat experience 80 miles south of Baghdad during a special reconnassiance mission during GW1. Have carried that one for years later in Iraq and Astan 03-11. Also carried a black Bowie in Haiti in 95'. The bead blasted bowie has been carried in Kuwait during Southern Watch between the Gulf Wars. Never carried the throwing knife, OSS label dagger or the boot knife. I prefer the nylon sheaths that come with them now as salt water is terrible on leather when diving.

EK_knives.jpeg

CD