ETO Jungle Packs...

FRISCAN

Sgt. Rob P.

I don't know about the removable flap. My guess is its an error in that book. But as for jungle packs in the ETO I think this pic is pretty convincing, definatly NOT the Pacific!

42Jpackineuro.jpg

Semper Fi, Rob

definatly NOT the Pacific!

Semper Fi, Rob

Maybe it gets chilly in the Burmese mountains, or on top of Mt. Suribachi..............

Maybe it gets chilly in the Burmese mountains, or on top of Mt. Suribachi..............

Most likely one of the palm groves on Guadalcanal...look at all that white sand :P

I remember getting snagged by the "removable flap" theory...got hold of one of those camo jungle packs which had the flap and harness removed, replaced by parts of M1936 suspenders, making it into kind of a mini duffel bag. After reading the Osprey book, started asking all over the country for anyone who might have the removable flap laying around- to my eventual embarrassment :blink::lol:

I have seen photos of replacements in the ETO right off the boat and all are wearing the M43 field pack. If you watch the film "Battleground" you will notice at the beginning the two replacements are both wearing brand new M43 packs. A nice period detail. The M43 pack had the same deficiencies as the jungle pack (too big and cumbersome) so it didn't catch on and was, of course, replaced by the more practical M44/M45 pack system.

craig_pickrall

There are pics of the packs in landing craft on D-Day. They are usually compressed to almost minimum size.

There are pics of the packs in landing craft on D-Day. They are usually compressed to almost minimum size.

I'm thinking that's what led Mr. Rottman to think that this pack was 2 piece, seeing photos like this and the one he featured in his book, without having read the instructions in the Field Manual 21-15 on contsricting the pack's size.

craig_pickrall

I hadn't really thought about that but it does make sense now that you mention it. Maybe he had never examined one of those packs and there aren't really that many photos of them in reference books.

Camp_Kearny
Many years ago I recall seeing combat photos of the 71st Inf Div in Germany, with the troops wearing the jungle pack. Whereas the 71st started out as a "Light" or "Jungle" test Div in the ZI, maybe the packs were "standard" in that Div. Anyone have 71st photos?

No pics, but recently I spoke to a 71st Infantry Division vet about hand carts and the subject of packs and packboards came up. He stated that they were issued the 1943 packs right around the time of the Camp Roberts/Fort Hunter Liggett Maneuvers between the 71st and 89th Division. He said he considered himself lucky to be issued the pack instead of the M1910/1928 pack. I am curious if the 89th Division was similarly equipped?

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Back with some « evidences »

Somewhere in ETO (my 2 cents for November – December 1944)

10th Armored Infantry Battalion, 4th Armored Division December 1944

post-3574-1247040515.jpg

post-3574-1247040542.jpg

2nd Infantry Division, Schoneseiffen (Bulge/Eiffel) 2 Feb 1945. It’s funny the Gi collapsed the bottom to make the pack less bulky

post-3574-1247040594.jpg

October 1944 fort de Manonviller

November 1944 Schirmeck (i took off their propaganda on the wall)

post-3574-1247041609.jpg

post-3574-1247041618.jpg

Sgt. Rob P.
2nd Infantry Division, Schoneseiffen (Bulge/Eiffel) 2 Feb 1945. It’s funny the Gi collapsed the bottom to make the pack less bulky

Nice pics Nicolas75! I find this one interesting also because the GI looks to have a KA-BAR knife on his belt and tucked into his snow pants. I don't think these were too common in the ETO.

Semper Fi, Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, the jungle packs were definitely used in the ETO - there is that famous picture of a DUKW crossing the Rhine with the LT. looking back at the camera. All are wearing the jungle pack

Below are all 3 Packs (I flattened 'em all out so the difference could be seen):

post-3226-1248396113.jpg

According to Army records ("Clothing and Equipment for Special Forces"- 1944), the '43 Field Pack, still often referred to in the text as the "Jungle Pack", was developed so it could be used in any setting, including areas "where the jungle type of camouflage would be a handicap," and the larger size made it more accommodating to use in cold weather areas. I didn't think there was any difference either at first, until I noticed a difference between the '42 and '43. I took measurements, and sure enough, the '43 was bigger. After that I started digging through the books and found out why.

Just my 2 cents...

Last night, I checked to see if I could find a more discernable difference between the M-43 pack and the jungle pack, other than size as you may not always have the convenience of putting the two side by side if your're, say, at a show. Guess what I came up with? My camo jungle pack has 8 grommets around the top of the pack for the tie strings and my two M-43 packs both have 10 grommets, obviously because the compartment is larger. Hope this may be of help to everyone and thanks for a great thread. :thumbsup:

• 10 years later...

One more M43 Pack sighting, here in the Ardennes Forest December 44, an unknown unit, soldiers of either a Infantry Regimental Anti Tank Company or a Towed Tank Destroyer Battalion.

post-34986-0-27916500-1565917726_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...
Johan Willaert
1 hour ago, patches said:

Found another, the Ardennes again, late December into January. Division unknown.

oio.jpg

Jeep belongs to 75th Division, photo taken vicinity St Vith, Belgium

12 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Jeep belongs to 75th Division, photo taken vicinity St Vith, Belgium

Is there another photo that shows the jeep where the bumper numbers are seen Johan?

Johan Willaert
2 hours ago, patches said:

Is there another photo that shows the jeep where the bumper numbers are seen Johan?

Jeep is marked 75 over 290-I so belongs to the 290th Infantry Regiment...
Smaller unit codes on right side bumper are not visible in the photo...

GIs-Snow-Marching-Bulge-Ardennes.jpg