ETO Jungle Packs...

FRISCAN

Evening Guys,

Alright. So, I've got someone telling me that "Jungle Packs" existed in the ETO. What do you think? I don't see it happening being that the Model 1944 and 1945 Combat Packs were the next alternative in line to the Model 1928 Haversack. Also not to mention it the thousands of WWII late war ETO pics I've seen I am yet to see one "Jungle Pack." The other reasoning I'm thinking is there is no "Jungle" so why would they even be issued to any combat unit within the last few days of the war?

Moreover his individual is telling me it was the 7th Infantry Regiment Battle Patrol and I have a couple of pics of them within four days of the closing of hostilities still wearing the Model 1928 Haversacks. I am an AVID historian of the U.S. 3rd Infantry Division and I have well over 400+ pics of the various units within the U.S. 3rd Infantry Division and NONE of those show the "Jungle Packs." So, what is your take on this information??

Thanks for your time,

FRISCAN

They existed, early too....

Page 170 - Doughboy to GI"

Photo showing an LT in Italy - April 1944 with the pack...

Fact, OD jungle packs were worn in the ETO.

They were utilized as a replacement to the M-1928 pack.

They are a much better alternative.

Obviously they were used by a small number of units. This is born out in the limited number you see in pics compared to the M-1928.

My OD Jungle pack is dated 1943. This could put it as being used in Europe in 1944.

The M-1944 pack set was only used very late in the war.

Remember you need the M-1944 suspenders for the pack set as well.

My M-1944 pack set: Field pack, cargo and suspenders are all dated 1944. This could put it as being used in Europe in 1945.

I have not seen a picture of the M-1944 set being used earlier than 1945.

The US military supply system was a very funny beast. The newer packs of course would be issued to newly raised units (or newly inducted replacements) in the US. The troops already serving in Europe would have to wait until the supply system caught up. Usually post war.

Hi!

I've seen 4 jungle packs found at Brest (Brittany, campaign: August september 44). Two are complete with all their straps. one was found in Le Conquet peninsula (29th ID or Ranger Bn), another in the Crozon peninsula (8th ID), a third in Guipavas (2nd ID) and one more in a garbage north of Brest. I know about one photo showing GI's near Brest and one has the jungle pack.

I still have one of them at home from Crozon. I'll look better at the date and manufacturer and will put photos here.

Yannick

The thing to keep in mind is that the OD version was not a "jungle" pack- it was the M43 field pack. It was the 1943 replacement for the M1928 system. Whjich in teurn was replaced with the 44 system. There are a number of photos that show ETO guys with it.

craig_pickrall

The Jungle Pack existed in both OD and camo. The M43 pack was made in OD and is the same design but larger.

General Apathy

Hi Friscan, back in the early 80's I was over in Holland for the celebrations of the Rhine crossings. I was invited to attend a gathering of U.S. airborne veterans at the Nijmegen town hall, I was asked to wear airborne uniform in honor of the veterans there.

I had a lengthy conversation with the one veteran about his service life, his training, life in England and his drop into Normandy and onto the Rhine drop. I enquired as to what items of uniform he was wearing during all these periods. His memory was pretty good on the stuff, I enquired as to what back pack they were using by the Rhine period, he said they had got rid of the small musette packs after Normandy and he described this large sack, and with his hands intimated the size, and all these straps running vertical and horizontal on the pack.

I initially thought that he was trying to describe a M-1928 pack, however he was adamant that that was not what they used and insisted it was a totally different sack. Now I never gave a thought to the ' Jungle ' pack being used in Europe after all it was designated a jungle pack.

Six months later I received a photo of his unit crossing a river in Germany and on their backs was this large

' jungle' pack.

Now as to which sack he was using I don't know, as there are now known to be two sizes of this sack and they are identical in construction just size difference.

I hope this helps, but maybe it just muddies the water more. However when reenactors get locked into ' paras use musettes ' then this gentleman's recollections and photos blows that out the water.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hi Ken,

Have you still got that pic of the (what I guess will be judging by your description) 507th PIR guys using M43/Jungle packs in Germany? That'd be interesting to see!

Cheers,

Glen.

General Apathy

Hi Glen, when it re-appears I will let you see it, however I will have to clarify that with, that since the early eighties when the meeting happened, I have moved house three times, been divorced ( once ) and had my collection crated up for the last twelve years ( two moves ) ???.

See you in June in Normandy I imagine.

Cheers Ken

Haha... I knew you'd come back with something like that! And I can certainly sympathise, currently having most of my collection in banana boxes and flat clothing boxes so the kit room can be redone in order to sell my house..!

Yep, see you in June by the sounds of it. Hope your breakfasts are going to be good.... ;)

It does sound an unusual story of course relating to that pic, especially as the 507th (which it must be, being both in Normandy and the Rhine Crossing) were obviously still using M36 Musettes in March 1945 for Varsity. So I'd like to try and work out when that pic was taken!

Cheers,

Glen.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I finally found the photo taken at Brest. I still did not take a picture of my "Crozon" M-43 pack (which is dated 44).

Two soldiers are shown wearing the famous pack here... This is the only "Brest campaign" photo of those packs I know. Enjoy! (And I just like very much this photo ;) ...)

n5sqyb.jpg

vfdwd4.jpg

2s8s35z.jpg

Yannick

Yannick,

Any idea what unit these guys are from?

No Johan, no idea, as if I have tried to locate that place all over the years... But it just looks like many places around here...

Yannick

Photos of my jungle pack from Crozon. the laundry number is stamped on two different places on top of the bag which is dated 1944. The bag was found in Saint Efflez farm, place of hard fighting for the 3rd Bn 28th infantry Regt Sept 15th-17th 1944.

287lnoi.jpg

2w2q8no.jpg

5mn5es.jpg

2r6gytz.jpg

efkjmf.jpg

6hsx82.jpg

Yannick

• 2 months later...

Hi FRISCAN,

Here is my two cents. This is a late war photo was taken in Germany. You can clearly see the "Jungle" pack. My opinion is that these were used in the ETO.

Dennis

post-2843-1209406826.jpg

no question the M43 field packs were used in the ETO both italy & NW europe...numbers were limited compared to the M28s & mussetes but they were much more than the M44s

back in the 1981 as a kid i bought some staff from the flea market in athens greece & the dealer packed my staff in a M43 field pack that i had no clue back then what it was & gave me the pack for free just as we get nylon bags for free in the super market...i remember this pack & there was something strange abt it..the main top flap with the zipp compartment was all missing!!!...main compartment was closing with a drawstring...i dont recall if the flap was taken off by a knife or something...is there any early version of this pack were the top flap was detacheable? bc i read somewhere that early versions of this pack had detacheable flaps!!! maybe mine was this???

craig_pickrall

Do you have any idea where you read the top was removable? I have never seen or heard of any except for the sewn on top. If you can please post a copy of your source material.

Many years ago I recall seeing combat photos of the 71st Inf Div in Germany, with the troops wearing the jungle pack. Whereas the 71st started out as a "Light" or "Jungle" test Div in the ZI, maybe the packs were "standard" in that Div. Anyone have 71st photos?

Do you have any idea where you read the top was removable? I have never seen or heard of any except for the sewn on top. If you can please post a copy of your source material.

yes craig...it was the US army combat equipments 1910-1988 by gordon rottman osprey publications- men at arms series

Look at page141 and 145 of Shely Stantons Uniforms of WWII. Shows good pictures of the pack. He discribed as first known as revised Jungle pack later called the 43 Pack. Mine is made by Hinson Mfg Co and dated 43. I believe its the smaller one

craig_pickrall
yes craig...it was the US army combat equipments 1910-1988 by gordon rottman osprey publications- men at arms series

That book is famous for it's many errors.

That book is famous for it's many errors.

true!!! many errors in this book...simply that comment in the book abt the detacheable M43 flap intrigued me bc mine had no flap!!! okay..i think someone unstitched the flap with a knive to make it a simple duffle bag style pack...thats all...my M43 was simply butchered