U.S.M.C. Civil War Campaign Medal

Jack's Son

THIS IS THE HOLY GRAIL OF ALL UNITED STATES CAMPAIGN MEDALS. NOT ONLY IS THIS RIM NUMBERED (51) BUT IT IS ALSO RIM IMPRESSED WITH HIS NAME, "ANDREW LESLIE".

I believe that this Medal is significant enough to deserve it own thread. Quoting from "The Call Of Duty"...."There were approximately 3,000 Navy CWCMs produced and 200 Marine Corps Medals. The Marine Corps Campaign Medal is perhaps the rarest of all U.S. campaign medals, with less then 20 known to still exist". Other sources say there are between 12 and 15 accounted for.

LESLIE SERVED IN THE MARINES FROM 1863 - 1867, THEN ENLISTED IN THE ARMY AND SERVED WITH THE 18TH INFANTRY FROM 1870 - 1876. HE RECEIVED HIS CIVIL WAR CAMPAIGN MEDAL, 15 April 1910.

THE ORIGINAL RIBBON FELL APART, BECAUSE HE APPEARS TO HAVE WORN THIS. IT WAS REPLACED WITH A RED, WHITE AND BLUE RIBBON WHICH IS ALSO IN AWFUL CONDITION BUT THIS IS THE WAY IT TURNED UP.

I have had three different researchers look for records in different archives, and these are all that can be found.

post-8213-1343799409.jpg

Whoa, that is KILLER. I'm curious to see how this pans out for you research wise. Definitely an exhilarating find!

MORE...

26.jpg 27.jpg

JS - Great paper trail on this outstandingly RARE U.S. Medal. THIS receipt, IMHO, is THE definitive document in hanging this exact medal, #51, on Leslie's chest. Thanks more posting. Semper Fi.......Bobgee

JS.Your box must be about full with Great medals and groups.But that is no problem because you can always get another box.Congrats on a rare piece such as this.Robert