Biggest diorama yet. WWII abandoned train yard.

Pmuranyi

Found two detail shots of the M32 and the back of the Steyr. Yep I see mostly the resin rail cars up on ebay for cheap. It is a farily hard kit to build. Really the hardest being just taking off the resin from the parts. The build is not bad at all. Trumpeter has come out with the heavy rail car and it is almost an identical kit to the tank work shop. Seems they "Appropriated' one for copying.

post-7107-1343865209.jpg

The new Tasca kit of this tank is simply put the nicest injection molded kit I have ever bought. PMMS model site gives it rave reviews too. This one is a mix of things. Tank Work Shop body, Tasca boogies, DML wheels. The Turret and boom are from the Italeri kit. I put tons of hand made bags, chains and stuff on it to make it look like its in working mode. The tracks are Pandas T-49 tracks. I common swap for prime movers and schelpers.

Caio for now

Paul

post-7107-1343865269.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy again! Figures are in. I may add more later but for now just a few more touch ups then finished. Cant say painting the faces are a strong point of my work but I hone in on the uniforms.

post-7107-1344641365.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is beautiful stuff! I love these dioramas that cover scenes away from the "frontlines" esp. since this scene depicts a scene of guys who keep the guys at front going! Great work!

HI! Thanks for the compliments! Yep you got the point. Most of the military is support. I love to see action dioramas but for me If done right, the backstage stuff can be really interesting. To plan this took a long time. I changed it so many times I wanted to give up. Overly complicated. But toward the end it started to pop and look close to what I thought would be convincing. I didn't mention the temper tantrums the mess ups or the numerous cuts with the blinking utility knife! The best is when I accidentally crazy glued my cell phone to the work bench. The project was hard to do but I like the results. Happy!

AAhhh I love this hobby!!!! :)

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

HI Ho! The photos were hard to take. Lighting is everything when taking photos of dio's. I have to sit and think about what do I see, but also what do I want to say? It looked a bit stark at first. When I put the leaves in, that definitely added what I try to strive for... atmosphere. The leaves helped convey a windy fall day. It communicated a sense of weather/atmosphere. Of course the models have to built as close to "KIller" as possible. That is a core point to make. So, it is a simple scene as far as action but to make up for that I added lots of color and complexity to the models and position of the items. Here are a few photos of two newbies! M4A3E8 and E2. Going to put them in snow scene. Driving by three knocked out German vehicles and small forrest backround. Oh yes I know the lighting stinks on this one!!!

Thanks for all the good feedback!!! If you need any tips or help, feel free to pop me a email.

Caio for now!

Paul

post-7107-0-84329700-1350445859.jpg

I really like the diorama, as it shows support folks and military trains (two of my favorite subjects). The only thing that pops right out at me are the unsecured items in and around most of the vehicles. I can see a line of jerry cans that appears unsecured within the M-10 scout vehicle and plenty of things just lying around on and in the vehicles and rail cars. I served in a mech unit and one thing I learned was you tied or taped down everything. Most model makers rarely show secured gear on vehicles and it drives me nuts.

Other than that one nitpick, you did a great job!

HI! VERY good eye! I didnt want to put guns, panzer faust's small arms ammo and things of that nature in the dio. Just bigger things that fleeing Germans couldn't take with them. The scene is not secured because I wanted to show the area just being found. Perhaps 15 or so minutes into the discovery.The man on the 611 is calling in the find. Why this dio......?? Well, My father was a vet and passed away in April at the NYC vets hospital. He was sick for a long time and was back and forth from there for about 6 years. Although my fathers situation was bad, I did get to talk to many many vets of all wars and times while I was visiting. This was based off a story that a vet told me about while he served in WWII and post war clean up. Well loosely based anyway. Gave me a new direction to go with dioramas. Late war/post war cleanup. Great observation BTW!!!!!

Caio!

Paul

HI! The snow scene should be good but I have never made one before. So studying photos and trying to figure it all out. I am a teacher(my job), of all kinds art. Digital creations can be just as hard as a painting. Check the proportions of the tank. Wheels to track, track to hull, hull to turret and so on. Examine the tank from all angles. Photoshop and many other programs will do a good job. Just take your time and dont rush. That is my failing. I rush to much. Usually ending with a ruined model and sulking for hours. Even though I have built a gazillion models I still mess up. I dont think Ill have the snow scene done for a bit. Ill post here when I get a leg up on it!!

Paul

I think I've already picked my go by already. I've done enough digital art to know that it's all just one step at a time-millions of steps of course, but it all starts with one. I did a B17, and it took forever. But that's the fun of it all. I'm really looking forward to your snow scene, and just loved the train yard you did. Awesome work.

• 4 weeks later...

HI Ho! Hope all are well on the east coast after the storm! As my building recovers from a massive hit in basement, I met a few interesting people while on security in my building right after the storm. One of them was a WWII soldier. "Aye are you Paul the WWII guy?". "I guess", I responded. "I am a veteran and would like to come and see your collection". Sure. Well he left a few hours ago and what a visit! He bought up a lot of scrap books he made while in the ETO. Priceless! I showed him my collection of gear and he was dumb founded by it. I was very happy that it brought back good memories for him.

I eventually showed him my dioramas including this one here. He looked at it and started to gasp. "Are you alright?" I asked. He sat down gazing at it. "What's wrong?". "I was there" he said softy. "I saw this". "Where did you get the ref" he said. "Ahhhh sort of made it up" I replied. "This is almost exactly what I was doing at the end of the war". "We found a relatively hidden train yard". "Just like this one .... Wow ya nailed it".

Well I did not know how to respond so I just said more on the way. I am now looking at his scrap books to see if I want to buy a few of them. So, after all this destruction and pain this flippin storm brought, I am glad that I was able to go back to life with a great start.

Just thought I pass the story along!

Ole!

Paul