Named Silver Life Saving Medal to Lawrence D. MacMillan

Jack's Son

Motor Machinist Mate-3c, Lawrence Mac Millan was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, became a Naturalized Citizen and joined the Coast Guard in June of 1942 at the age of Nineteen years. He had a fairly normal enlistment through the war, with the high points being a Commendation for his role in the Amphibious Assault on Okinawa (June 15, 1945), and receiving the Silver Lifesaving Medal (September 12, 1945). The low point being a Conviction of Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicating Liquor while on liberty (April 13, 1944).

The 1930 census:

1930 United States Federal Census about Lawerence D Mac Millon

Name: Lawerence D Mac Millon

[Lawerence D Macmillan]

Birth Year: abt 1924

[abt 1923]

Birthplace: Canada

Race: White

Home in 1930: Everett, Middlesex, Massachusetts

View Map

Marital Status: Single

Immigration Year: 1929

Relation to Head of House: Son

Father's Name: John D Mac Millon

Father's Birthplace: Canada

Mother's name: Clara M Mac Millon

Mother's Birthplace: Canada

(Notice how the spelling of his name, and the family name changes after the move to the U.S.)

U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010 about Lawrence Macmillan

Name: Lawrence Macmillan

Birth Date: 23 Apr 1923

Death Date: 7 Aug 1987

SSN: 023149753

Branch 1: CG

Enlistment Date 1: 23 Jul 1942

Release Date 1: 27 Dec 1945

After receiving the Medal, I received the research, and his Ribbon Bar was sent by the family the same day. The family has a picture of him, but to date won't send along a scan of it. In lieu of the Medal, the family kept his Official Certificate and Citation.

post-8213-1343711139.jpg post-8213-1343711147.jpg

Forum Support assisted in the research of this Thread.

There seems to be confusion in ribbons, as the Coast Guard granted a Asia-Pacific Campaign Medal, while the bar has a American Defense Service Ribbon on it.

post-8213-1343711575.jpg

post-8213-1343711541.jpg

JS,

You are becoming quite the collector of these medals! Congrats!

I wonder why the family kept the certificate but not the medal. Seems like they go hand in hand.

....Kat

Robert, Kat and Brian......thank you for stoping by and making a comment! :thumbsup: I really appreciate the courtesy.

VERY nice medal! Its too bad after spending the amount of money you did with them that they cant make you a color copy of the documents and photo.

Kurt

Wharfmaster

Super medal and story. I am surprised he was not awarded a Navy and Marine Corps Medal, being wartime.

Best regards to all,

The Wharfmaster

In Peace and War. US Merchant Marine.

Super medal and story. I am surprised he was not awarded a Navy and Marine Corps Medal, being wartime.

Best regards to all,

The Wharfmaster

In Peace and War. US Merchant Marine.

Because he was CG, I'm sure that was a opportunity to give the LS medal. Not too many chances especially during the war years.

:w00t: Jack, doesn`t get much better. Intoxicating liquor.....isn`t all liquor intoxicating? My uncle was the recipient of the Silver Star [i own now] in the Korean War. He was busted at one point for telling an officer where to go.......nobody is perfect! Gary