Purple Heart Collectors.

Jack's Son

....NO WIA Hearts, or medal groups from soldiers who survived a war?

This topic came up in a discussion last evening. My feeling is that there are collectors who prefer to collect posthumous Purple Hearts, but thay also collect other medals groups as well.

Rather then ask WHO DOES collect other medals, it would be easier to ask.....WHO DOES NOT!!

Wharfmaster

I prefer nonposthumous Purple Hearts in long service, named medal groups.

Sadly, posthumous Purple Hearts are "end of story". However, we proudly honor them all, survivor and nonsurvivor, just the same.

Regards to all,

The Wharfmaster

In Peace and War. US Merchant Marine.

I collect any Purple Hearts that can be researched. Even a few that have no provenance ... I just appreciate what they stand for.

I don;t collect named medals, as a general rule. I had a couple of names groups; sold them both. The only named PH I have is the Lyle E. White Type I Army PH (#7383) with the unusual private engraving. The style of the engraving still intrigues me.

Can't find ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING on the officer named Lyle E. White of 33 Infantry Division of WWI.

No AGO card showing a PH award with this name either.

The mystery continues.

I too started out collecting posthumous Hearts, but soon found group's with named and/or numbered medals to be just as researchable in most cases.

Hi,

I currently only collect posthumous USN/USMC PHs.

I thought that this would be the best way to keep a some what narrow focus.

Gary B

Too Much WW1 Militaria

And, expensive! LOL Actually, I've pretty much limited my collection to WW1 hearts, and my own!

Hi,

I currently only collect posthumous USN/USMC PHs.

I thought that this would be the best way to keep a some what narrow focus.

Gary B

And, expensive! LOL Actually, I've pretty much limited my collection to WW1 hearts, and my own!

John,

I believe you have FIVE (5) of your own!!! :twothumbup: (But who's counting?)

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Robin,

Actually, I don't know what happened to my issued trinkets! I gave them to the kids to play with. Actually found one about a year ago behind a baseboard! Just glad I never got an engraved one! LOL

John

History Man
I collect any Purple Hearts that can be researched. Even a few that have no provenance ... I just appreciate what they stand for.

I agree with this. I somewhat recently started collecting medals and at the moment I have 3 PHs; 1 is attributed to a sailor wounded when the NorthHampton went down and served from Midway - Okinawa, an unattibuted numbered PH, and an unattributed standard PH.

Philip

I only have 3 Purple Hearts in my collection, had 2 others at one point. Sold a cased numbered on here years ago, and had one that was just parts, traded to another member who wanted them for a project. Have an unnamed one in a group, a Phillipine Insurrection one with the name scraped up but legible, and a WWII USMC one given to me by member GLM that can only read 'PFC' and the 'CR' in USMCR. I have a weakness for defaced Hearts...they need someone who cares.

I collect medals because of what they stand for. KIA/WIA, it matters not to me. The service to the country is reflected in bits of ribbon and metal. A persons life is often defined by the service in wartime. They should be remembered. We are 'trustees' of these objects, holding them for a time and then passing them on to another that will honor their service.

G2

I have only one named PH... my uncle's. I have several unnamed. I would be honored to have any other named PH's.