MA-1 Flight Jacket

frederik.geudens

frederik.geudens

Hi! Last week I picked up two CWU-36P and CWU-45P flight jackets. Both are used but in very, very good condition and I got them for next to nothing, so I'm quite pleased with that.

Anyway, since my main field of interest is the US Marine Corps, I was wondering if the Marines have also used the MA-1 flight jacket (with or without the orange lining), and if so, to what extent?

I haven't seen any pictures yet of Marine aviators / air crew wearing the MA-1 so I think not... Any input is appreciated.

Thx!

Hello,

I never seen an USMC pilot with the MA-1. This jacket has been designed for USAF crews. USMC was using USN clothes and equipments. So, before the CWU serie, they wore the nylon jacket, flying winter suit (J-FWS) which is more often designed "G-8" by some collectors.

Hope this helps you.

Franck

frederik.geudens
Hello,

I never seen an USMC pilot with the MA-1. This jacket has been designed for USAF crews. USMC was using USN clothes and equipments. So, before the CWU serie, they wore the nylon jacket, flying winter suit (J-FWS) which is more often designed "G-8" by some collectors.

Hope this helps you.

Franck

OK, thanks for confirming, Franck!

• 5 months later...

Greetings all -

here are some photos of a 8279B spec (late 50s) MA1 jacket that has been used by a Marine - I would guess during the 60s - as you can see, the USAF spec label has been ripped out and replaced with an EGA stencil. I doubt the MA1s, being USAF kit, would ever have been issued to Marines - probably this is more of a locally-obtained / traded example.

post-4733-0-81610300-1357679739_thumb.jpg

post-4733-0-92584000-1357679764.jpg