345th Fighter Squadron Pilot KIA Grouping

GeneralLucas

I found this mention of Perryman in a letter from another 345th pilot Igou.

I thought you might find the timing of some interest. It may take me a while to learn to post. Let's see what happens.

post-97487-1344816553.jpg

Great group from an American hero. My uncle 2LT Elwood W. Lawson was a member of the 345th FS he was killed in action on 13DEC44 flying the P47 trying to destroy a bridge as La Sepiza Harbor. It was his lucky 13th mission. I have corresponded with several other members from the 345th. They are a great bunch of guys and they made me an member of their organization in my Uncles place. Ben

If you have any photos of your uncle from his time with the 345th I would love to add them to the 345th archives. I found the following in the archives.

2nd Lt. Elwood W. Lawson * 345 P-47 17/Dec/44 Med sea/Pisa

Close Air Support msn. for 5th Army on front line, east of La Spezia. Inclement weather, under clouds at 7,000’, pounded by AAA as begin dive for fire bomb run. Crash seen by Army troops. Johnson also killed.

I have 7 Daily Operation Reports of missions your uncle flew, along with the MACR when he went down. Two of his seven missions were flown with my father. Feel free to contact me and I am happy to give you whatever I have that pertains to your uncle. And I see you mentioned his 13th mission. I will have to take another look at the DORs. I found only 7 so far.

I see he arrived with the following men on 12/Nov:

12 November 1944, Tarquinia Italy:

Coombs Lawson Mangino Marshall, W.S. Martin Mathews, R.L. Matthews, A.M. Middleton Oakes Ozimek Palmer

Poeton Price Quarles

I have photos of most of these men whom I have identified. I may have on or more of your uncle that I simply have yet to identify. I would love some help.

The dates of the missions he flew that I know of are these:

22/Nov, 26/Nov, 29/Nov, 2/Dec, 6/Dec, 15/Dec, and 17/Dec., The first two were flown with my father.

I am quite proud of my uncle and the sacrifices he made for our country. As a small child I listened to my grandmother talk of of him and the things he done. It made a big impression on a small boy. I would take that admiration and turned it into being a fighter pilot myself. I sewed onto my flying jacket after I separated from the service the patch for the 345th Fighter Squadron the Devil Hawks in honor of my uncle that had such an impression on me. Ben

post-4101-1344877128.jpg

350th FG Remembered
I am quite proud of my uncle and the sacrifices he made for our country. As a small child I listened to my grandmother talk of of him and the things he done. It made a big impression on a small boy. I would take that admiration and turned it into being a fighter pilot myself. I sewed onto my flying jacket after I separated from the service the patch for the 345th Fighter Squadron the Devil Hawks in honor of my uncle that had such an impression on me. Ben

Ben,

Here is a photo of your uncle from Advanced Flight Training at Luke Field, Class 44-C.

Regards -- Bob

post-36463-1344911244.jpg

Cobrahistorian
Ben,

Here is a photo of your uncle from Advanced Flight Training at Luke Field, Class 44-C.

Regards -- Bob

Just awesome. :D

Nice to see some Devil Hawk fans here. I'm assuming Devilhawks is Keith Viscarra whose Dad flew with the Devilhawks. I have a Devil Hawks patch next to my computer given to me by Earl Miller who flew 38s, 39s and Jugs with the 345th.

Those 12th AF guys don't get remembered nearly as well as they should be.

Came across this photo of a pair of Devilhawk 39s recently.

post-5589-0-89264700-1402975670.jpg

Nice to see some Devil Hawk fans here. I'm assuming Devilhawks is Keith Viscarra whose Dad flew with the Devilhawks. I have a Devil Hawks patch next to my computer given to me by Earl Miller who flew 38s, 39s and Jugs with the 345th.

Those 12th AF guys don't get remembered nearly as well as they should be.

Came across this photo of a pair of Devilhawk 39s recently.

350th-FG-39s.jpg

Hi Dan,

My dad bellied in in that P-39 Sporting the 63 on the door. The nose art is Lenore VI. It was one of three P-39 s he crashed to speed up the transition to the Jug. I was just talking with Earl last week. He is well. I am always happy to see the 350th getting some press. The original of the photo you posted resides in the 345th photo archives. I have a few others of it in a bit less pristine shape, The a/c that is.

Hi Dan,

My dad bellied in in that P-39 Sporting the 63 on the door. The nose art is Lenore VI. It was one of three P-39 s he crashed to speed up the transition to the Jug. I was just talking with Earl last week. He is well. I am always happy to see the 350th getting some press. The original of the photo you posted resides in the 345th photo archives. I have a few others of it in a bit less pristine shape, The a/c that is.

Hi Keith,

Very glad to hear about Earl. I get scared to call some times for fear i won't get an answer. I also saw you are redoing the blog? Looking forward to it being up and running again. I was wondering if that picture was one you had. grabbed it off e-bay. There were a few others too of Jugs and one of a pilot in a Hurricane, although it was a single seat bird not the two seater.

Nice to know the story behind Lenore VI. Oh to go back in time and visit those guys for a bit when 39s were crashing and Jugs were arriving :)

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but figured I'd add a bit of info-

I recently found a website that lists a journal entry related to the pilot that is the topic of this discussion. I came across this information while doing some research on another pilot that was KIA during the same mission:

Full diary entry located at this site: http://simhq.net/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1910863/War_diary_April_22.html

• 8 years later...
Stefano Piccagli
On 8/13/2012 at 2:03 AM, Devilhawks said:

I thought you might find the timing of some interest. It may take me a while to learn to post. Let's see what happens.

Hello Devilhawks can I ask you of you have additional information about Lt. Perryman and F/O Mccleskey? Thanks 

Stefano Piccagli
On 8/13/2012 at 2:03 AM, Devilhawks said:

Hello Devilhawks,

Can you share more details of the letter? I'm interested in finding some information about Lt. Perryman and FO Mccleskey. Thank you