345th Fighter Squadron Pilot KIA Grouping

GeneralLucas

GeneralLucas

I was given this grouping by the brother of Charles Perryman from Tyler, Texas and it consists of many photos and documents of which only a few are shown here. The 345th Squadron was known as the Devil Hawks. The war in Italy had only a few days to go when Perryman was shot down in his P-47 by ground fire and was too low to jump. Of special note is the Expert Aerial Gunner Badge which are seldom seen.

post-1658-1343571324.jpg

GeneralLucas
I was given this grouping by the brother of Charles Perryman from Tyler, Texas and it consists of many photos and documents of which only a few are shown here. The 345th Squadron was known as the Devil Hawks. The war in Italy had only a few days to go when Perryman was shot down in his P-47 by ground fire and was too low to jump. Of special note is the Expert Aerial Gunner Badge which are seldom seen.

post-1658-1343571387.jpg

Outstanding and a Very nice Historic K.I.A Grouping you have got there belonging to this Brave P-47 Pilot :thumbsup:

And Thanks for Remembering This Pilot by sharing this Grouping with us.

GeneralLucas
Outstanding and a Very nice Historic K.I.A Grouping you have got there belonging to this Brave P-47 Pilot :thumbsup:

And Thanks for Remembering This Pilot by sharing this Grouping with us.

By the way, Perryman wrote this letter to his brother three days before being killed. He mentioned being killed.

post-1658-1343575653.jpg

Quite a nice set of things you have there, thanks for posting it. I recall reading somwhere that more P-47's were lost on ground attack missions that aerial combat. Anyone know for sure?

In looking at the date on the letter he wrote and on the Air Medal first cluster citation, one has to wonder if he wrote those things in the letter because he'd had a very close brush with getting shot down on the mission that first cluster was from, just a couple days prior...

It is nice the man's brother entrusted it all to you. Sort of shoots down all the "IT NEEDS TO STAY WITH THE FAMILY!!!" types now, doesn't it?

MW

One quick note, and you probably already know this, but just in the off chance you don't, be careful of leaving those medals on the blue foam for too long, the foam can start to get "tacky" and sticky and disintegrate and start sticking to your medals over the course of a few years.

MW

350th FG Remembered

Many thanks General for sharing this great grouping. The portrait of Perryman in the flight helmet & goggles looks very much like his Victory Field 44-D classbook photo. This was his Primary Training in PT-19s at Vernon, Texas.

Best to all,

Bob

post-36463-1343608113.jpg

F 106 Pilot

Great group from an American hero. My uncle 2LT Elwood W. Lawson was a member of the 345th FS he was killed in action on 13DEC44 flying the P47 trying to destroy a bridge as La Sepiza Harbor. It was his lucky 13th mission. I have corresponded with several other members from the 345th. They are a great bunch of guys and they made me an member of their organization in my Uncles place. Ben

GeneralLucas
Many thanks General for sharing this great grouping. The portrait of Perryman in the flight helmet & goggles looks very much like his Victory Field 44-D classbook photo. This was his Primary Training in PT-19s at Vernon, Texas.

Best to all,

Bob

Bob, Thanks for the 44-D photo. Here is his ID picture from there, I have pictures of him flying the trainer.

post-1658-1343633176.jpg

350th FG Remembered
Bob, Thanks for the 44-D photo. Here is his ID picture from there, I have pictures of him flying the trainer.

You're quite welcome. Wish the quality was as good as yours. Do we know where Lt. Perryman took Basic and Advanced Flight Training? I'd like to locate those classbooks.

Thanks for your help,

Bob

350th FG Remembered
Hey Bob! Great to see you on here and welcome aboard!

Thanks Jon. This is quite a forum here. I learn something new each time I visit. Look forward to contributing whatever I can.

Bob