Attaching Thompson M1 Sling

Cristoff

Hello!

Got my hands on a lovely M1 Thompson a while back but with no sling, finally i now have a genuine sling!

But cant figure out how to fit the damn thing!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Also when did the M1's see action in WW2?

So how did you make out Chris......? Any pictures of the M1A1 Thompson with sling ?

regards

Lloyd

Guys any advances on the Thompson sling fitting to an M1A1 please.........................as i am just about at my wits end with this sling and Thompson now...................!!!!!

guys i have the scissors in my hand ready to cut the sling into confetti................. dunno.gif

Please help your friendly neighbourhood Limey

Regards

Lloyd

You guys think this one is hard top figure out...try the M1923 sling.

It took me about a month (and a 26 of scotch) to assemble, off the rifle, then another week to assemble on the rifle.

Excellent link to the website.

Cheers

Lloyd, without asking exactly what the problem is, I think I know what the problem is. The hooks won't go through the sling swivel, right? Try snapping just the hook into the swivel, then compress the spring and push the whole hook through the swivel. It's easy once you know the secret.

Lloyd, without asking exactly what the problem is, I think I know what the problem is. The hooks won't go through the sling swivel, right? Try snapping just the hook into the swivel, then compress the spring and push the whole hook through the swivel. It's easy once you know the secret.

robinbs got it, I forgot about that. I remember finally figuring that out after a frustrating time trying to get the sling on. You need to do that inorder to get the metal hook trought the swivel, Ray

Thanks guys OK i got that....but which way round does the combination of hooks/loops go please ?

Picture would be worth a thousand words.

Appreciate the help so far

Regards

LLoyd

Thats definatley wrong Chris......Dont worry i cant figure it out yet either.

C,mon guys help a couple of "colonial cousins" out....... :D

Regards

Lloyd

Okay, this should work on your sling. With the hook attached on the front swivel as you have it, depress the spring on the hook and hold it down until the spring goes through the swivel then slide the rest of the hook through the swivel and bring it through and attach the hook to the sling were I showed you in the photo, You can do that with either side. Ray

30mpgrs.jpg

YOU DA MAN !!!! Ray.that works a treat...what was fooling me was i thought/assumed that both the "No Buckle" clips should be on the bottom of the sling not "top side".

And relax...................... ;)

Regards

Lloyd

PS Chris it DOES work mate...i have got my M1A1 in my hands at the minute

Okay, this should work on your sling. With the hook attached on the front swivel as you have it, depress the spring on the hook and hold it down until the spring goes through the swivel then slide the rest of the hook through the swivel and bring it through and attach the hook to the sling were I showed you in the photo, You can do that with either side. Ray

30mpgrs.jpg

HAHA!

Your a legend Ray!

Thanks so much!

P.S. It was your diagram that made the difference!!!

YOU DA MAN !!!! Ray.that works a treat...what was fooling me was i thought/assumed that both the "No Buckle" clips should be on the bottom of the sling not "top side".

And relax...................... ;)

Regards

Lloyd

PS Chris it DOES work mate...i have got my M1A1 in my hands at the minute

Cant believe it was that easy........

How embarrasing!! thumbsup.gif

• 2 months later...

This may help, this is how my sling is attached. Method was copied from an original combat photo. Length can be adjusted by attaching the rear snap to the rear sling swivel instead of to the sling loop as in the photo. Both Thompson and sling are original.

post-2964-1208014709.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
hbtcoveralls

Lloyd,

If I can ever get you to leap over to this side of the pond, We'll take out my original, run you through a familiarization and a course of fire and then you'll really be able to look like a tommy gunner!

T. Bowers

Thanks Tom..one day..one day i will darken your doorstep.

Tom we got some trips coming up maybe i will see you first..:-)

Regards

Lloyd

• 1 month later...
This may help, this is how my sling is attached. Method was copied from an original combat photo. Length can be adjusted by attaching the rear snap to the rear sling swivel instead of to the sling loop as in the photo. Both Thompson and sling are original.

same layout with my thompsons ...

both thompsons and both slings are originals ... :D

CollectingWeapons03.jpg