12A54

• 2 months later...

Just in case you missed the announcement. Happy New Year ;-}

Drone Pilot To Receive First
Air Force Cross
Medal Since Vietnam

By Kimberly Motan, Associated Press

INDIAN SPRINGS, NV
An Air Force drone pilot who managed to fly his MQ-9 Reaper for 76 straight hours through multiple firefights will receive the Air Force Cross, Air Force officials confirmed today. Major Toby Keene will be the first Airman to receive the nation’s second highest award since the Vietnam War.

He is also the first American to receive this level of aerial combat decoration for actions taken inside the United States since the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Keene, from Dubuque, Iowa, will receive the award for his meritorious actions at Creech Air Force Base in Nevada during August 2012. During a week of heavy combat, he stayed at his console for more than three straight days, remotely piloting his Reaper drone through dozens of firefights 7,000 miles away in Afghanistan. His aircraft was severely damaged by small arms fire.

The Air Force is already trumpeting Major Keene as a modern-day
, the legendary Marine sniper with 93 confirmed kills in Vietnam.
Air Force officials have pointed out that Major Keene’s 179 confirmed kills during the operation arguably make him one of the greatest marksmen in history.
There are already plans to use him in recruiting commercials, similar to the Israeli Defense Force’s public parades for missile ace

Major Keene recently received a congratulatory phone call from Vice President Joe Biden at Creech Air Force Base. “When they told me the Vice President of the United States was calling for me, I was a little reluctant to pick up the phone.
It was my lunch break, and if you don’t get in line at least an hour early, the only prime rib they have left is medium well.”

Major Keene eventually took the call while sipping a White Russian and sunning himself at the base relaxation pool in-between missions. This medal will be in addition to the Purple Heart he has already been awarded for severe Carpal Tunnel Syndrome pain endured during the same event.

A designated senior master drone pilot, Keene has never flown a conventional aircraft. His reporting senior, BGEN Jonathon Manziel says, “…it doesn’t really matter, Keene won a PlayStation TWO flight simulator competition in high school, demonstrating the superior airmanship skills we are looking for.” Also, Manziel noted that he actually put Keene in for a Meritorious Service Medal (his twelfth of this lesser award) “…but the White House ‘bumped it up.’”

“Most people think of drone pilots as glorified computer junkies, but
,” Major Keene told
the Associated Press
“We’re out there, days at a time, watching the same compound, with nothing but candy bars from the vending machine to keep us going and the sounds of
Sons of Anarchy
playing on our iPods.”

Keene was accepted by and attended the United States Air Force Academy after failing to meet the academic standards required by Texas A&M University. “I also could have attended the University of Texas, but they aren’t in the SEC!” Keene said.

The Associated Press has learned that the U. S. Navy had offered Major Keene a congratulatory flight with the Blue Angels. Keene declined the invitation and, while turning away, muttered something on the order of “…pulling G’s is for {sissies}…”

wow...comparing themselves to modern day snipers...I bet that pleases the sniper community

And he didn't even leave the US? It was in Nevada? Must be nice.

Man that is crazy funny !!! Had me for a minute. :lol:

"Major Keene eventually took the call while sipping a White Russian and sunning himself at the base relaxation pool in-between missions. This medal will be in addition to the Purple Heart he has already been awarded for severe Carpal Tunnel Syndrome pain endured during the same event."

Just in case you missed the announcement. Happy New Year ;-}

Drone Pilot To Receive First
Air Force Cross
Medal Since Vietnam

By Kimberly Motan, Associated Press

INDIAN SPRINGS, NV
An Air Force drone pilot who managed to fly his MQ-9 Reaper for 76 straight hours through multiple firefights will receive the Air Force Cross, Air Force officials confirmed today. Major Toby Keene will be the first Airman to receive the nation’s second highest award since the Vietnam War.

He is also the first American to receive this level of aerial combat decoration for actions taken inside the United States since the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Keene, from Dubuque, Iowa, will receive the award for his meritorious actions at Creech Air Force Base in Nevada during August 2012. During a week of heavy combat, he stayed at his console for more than three straight days, remotely piloting his Reaper drone through dozens of firefights 7,000 miles away in Afghanistan. His aircraft was severely damaged by small arms fire.

The Air Force is already trumpeting Major Keene as a modern-day
, the legendary Marine sniper with 93 confirmed kills in Vietnam.
Air Force officials have pointed out that Major Keene’s 179 confirmed kills during the operation arguably make him one of the greatest marksmen in history.
There are already plans to use him in recruiting commercials, similar to the Israeli Defense Force’s public parades for missile ace

Major Keene recently received a congratulatory phone call from Vice President Joe Biden at Creech Air Force Base. “When they told me the Vice President of the United States was calling for me, I was a little reluctant to pick up the phone.
It was my lunch break, and if you don’t get in line at least an hour early, the only prime rib they have left is medium well.”

Major Keene eventually took the call while sipping a White Russian and sunning himself at the base relaxation pool in-between missions. This medal will be in addition to the Purple Heart he has already been awarded for severe Carpal Tunnel Syndrome pain endured during the same event.

A designated senior master drone pilot, Keene has never flown a conventional aircraft. His reporting senior, BGEN Jonathon Manziel says, “…it doesn’t really matter, Keene won a PlayStation TWO flight simulator competition in high school, demonstrating the superior airmanship skills we are looking for.” Also, Manziel noted that he actually put Keene in for a Meritorious Service Medal (his twelfth of this lesser award) “…but the White House ‘bumped it up.’”

“Most people think of drone pilots as glorified computer junkies, but
,” Major Keene told
the Associated Press
“We’re out there, days at a time, watching the same compound, with nothing but candy bars from the vending machine to keep us going and the sounds of
Sons of Anarchy
playing on our iPods.”

Keene was accepted by and attended the United States Air Force Academy after failing to meet the academic standards required by Texas A&M University. “I also could have attended the University of Texas, but they aren’t in the SEC!” Keene said.

The Associated Press has learned that the U. S. Navy had offered Major Keene a congratulatory flight with the Blue Angels. Keene declined the invitation and, while turning away, muttered something on the order of “…pulling G’s is for {sissies}…”

Funny story.This isn't real, RIGHT? The military and especially the AF has way to many medals and 'career field' pins.When I first joined the AF, '82, only a hand full of people wore a badge.Pilots, aircrew, doctors, nurses, priests, & JAG's.Now everybody and their 5th cousin has a pin.Probably because some general who use to fuel planes didn't have a badge to wear above his ribbons.It's getting overly complicated.

But back to the originally discussion.I don't think they or anybody needs a new medal.If they can't find one that meets the criteria for the current medals then they don't deserve one.

Begin Quote:

This award situation should not be so subjective. A nice, logical, graduated system with clear criteria for all services would be best:

1) MoH - in a class by itself

2) Def. Dist., DSM, DSC, NC, NDSM - Valor and Merit at a level just below the MoH

3) Silver Star, Legion of Merit, & Lifesaving Medals - Valor, Merit, and lifesaving (at risk of one's own life) at the next level in the pyramid of honor

4) Bronze Star, MSM, & Purple Heart - Valor, Merit, and wounded-in-battle recognition at the fourth level

5) Various services' Commendation medals - Valor, Merit, and other suitable acts (such as: life-saving without risk to oneself)

6) Various services' Achievement medals - Valor, Merit, and other.

end quote

This list reminded me of a change concerning the placement of the Purple Heart. During WW2, Korea, and Vietnam the Purple Heart was worn below the Commendation Medal. During Americas three largest conflicts of the 20th century when the PH was awarded, the PH was an award one received to indicate they were injured in combat, not an achievement, not for service or a valorous act. Does anyone have an official document stating when and, more importantly, why the placement changed? Based on certain Army regs, I've narrowed it down to sometime in the early 1980s (ie 1981-84). Again, just looking to see the reasoning behind the change so please no speculations just cite the reg and what it states.

"2) Def. Dist., DSM, DSC, NC, NDSM - Valor and Merit at a level just below the MoH"

Wow! I earned the NDSM (National Defense Service Medal) with 1 Bronze Service Star. I did not realize how prestigious an award it has become. (With apologies to holders of the Navy DSM.)

"2) Def. Dist., DSM, DSC, NC, NDSM - Valor and Merit at a level just below the MoH"

Wow! I earned the NDSM (National Defense Service Medal) with 1 Bronze Service Star. I did not realize how prestigious an award it has become. (With apologies to holders of the Navy DSM.)

that made me chuckle...:D

Begin Quote:

This award situation should not be so subjective. A nice, logical, graduated system with clear criteria for all services would be best:

1) MoH - in a class by itself

2) Def. Dist., DSM, DSC, NC, NDSM - Valor and Merit at a level just below the MoH

3) Silver Star, Legion of Merit, & Lifesaving Medals - Valor, Merit, and lifesaving (at risk of one's own life) at the next level in the pyramid of honor

4) Bronze Star, MSM, & Purple Heart - Valor, Merit, and wounded-in-battle recognition at the fourth level

5) Various services' Commendation medals - Valor, Merit, and other suitable acts (such as: life-saving without risk to oneself)

6) Various services' Achievement medals - Valor, Merit, and other.

end quote

This list reminded me of a change concerning the placement of the Purple Heart. During WW2, Korea, and Vietnam the Purple Heart was worn below the Commendation Medal. During Americas three largest conflicts of the 20th century when the PH was awarded, the PH was an award one received to indicate they were injured in combat, not an achievement, not for service or a valorous act. Does anyone have an official document stating when and, more importantly, why the placement changed? Based on certain Army regs, I've narrowed it down to sometime in the early 1980s (ie 1981-84). Again, just looking to see the reasoning behind the change so please no speculations just cite the reg and what it states.

Think you need to re check your nomenclature. BTW, the Services all have a very distinct precedence and criteria for their awards. The problem is that people typically fail to read the actual instructions.

• 3 weeks later...

Tom, I couldn't find the regulation, but I found this at wiki:

"The Senate approved an amendment to the 1985 Defense Authorization Bill on June 13, 1985 which changed the precedence from immediately above the Good Conduct Medal to immediately above the Meritorious Service Medals."

• 3 weeks later...

Wow "Distinguished Warfare Medal" sounds like a mash up between a Bronze Star and Meritous Service Medal with a splash of DFC thrown in for good measure

It hath come to pass:

DOD Announces the Distinguished Warfare Medal

The Department of Defense announced today the creation of the Distinguished Warfare Medal to recognize a service member’s extraordinary achievements directly impacting combat operations.

Modern technology enables service members with special training and capabilities to more directly and precisely impact military operations at times far from the battlefield. The Distinguished Warfare Medal will be awarded in the name of the secretary of defense to service members whose extraordinary achievements, regardless of their distance to the traditional combat theater, deserve distinct department-wide recognition.

“I have seen first-hand how modern tools like remotely piloted platforms and cyber systems have changed the way wars can be fought,” said Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta. “We should also have the ability to honor extraordinary actions that make a true difference in combat operations, even if those actions are physically removed from the fight.”

Based on the order of precedence, the Distinguished Warfare Medal will sit directly below the Distinguished Flying Cross. It may be awarded for actions in any domain but not involving acts of valor.

“This new medal recognizes the changing character of warfare and those who make extraordinary contributions to it,” said Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Martin E. Dempsey. “The criteria for this award will be highly selective and reflect high standards.”

The medal, designed by The Institute of Heraldry, will be available in the coming months. The signed memo, criteria for the medal, along with the design, can be seen here: http://www.defense.g...reMedalMemo.pdf

post-3976-0-45896900-1360803897.jpg