American Protective League

cwnorma

The final item I found on my sabbatical to Florida was a badge and ID Card from a member of the American Protective League.

post-594-1201577823.jpg

post-594-1201577841.jpg

This represents a very sad part of American history, but it is an important Home Front item for a WW1 collector. This is about as close as the US government ever came to sanctioning vigilantism. The following is from Wikipedia:

The American Protective League was a World War I-era private organization that along with federal police like the Bureau of Investigation worked in support of the anti German Empire movement and against anti-war citizens and organizations.

Formed by A.M. Briggs, a wealthy Chicago businessman, at its height of power the APL had 250,000 members in 600 cities. Officially condoned by the Attorney General, the APL support to the Bureau of Investigation, the precursor to the FBI.

A private organization with no legal authority, APL members acted as vigilantes, allegedly violating the civil liberties of American citizens. The APL has been accused of having illegally detained citizens associated with progressive, labor, and pacifist movements.

In 1918, APL documents showed that 10% of its efforts (the largest of any category) were focused on disrupting the activities of the I.W.W. "Wobblies" radical union movement. The APL burgled, vandalized, and harassed I.W.W. members and their offices. These activities were illegal, yet supported by the Wilson administration and the American establishment. President Wilson, despite some misgivings about their methods, deferred to the judgement of Attorney General Thomas Gregory and chose not to take any action to curtail their activities. The League disbanded in February of 1919.

Chris

THAT is too sweet. I've heard about the APL but never seen a badge....

You ever decide that's something you'd like to part with...... :) Keep me in mind please.

Jason,

Thanks! The APL is an ugly chapter of American history, one that has been more or less swept under the rug.

Chris

THAT is too sweet. I've heard about the APL but never seen a badge....

You ever decide that's something you'd like to part with...... :) Keep me in mind please.

vintageproductions

There was one of these on WAF under US items for sale a couple of weeks ago. You may want to check there and see if it is still available. Great piece.

Thanks! I'll take a look. I'm expanding my collecting into 'home front' type items right now. Plus I also collect 'police badges' and this qualifies on the secondary level.