USMC Childs Helmet w. EGA

RTFREY

post-3702-1343413467.jpg post-3702-1343413593.jpg post-3702-1343413697.jpg

A recent thrift store find along with some other militaria.

A Quality made CHILDS HELMET with a black cloth liner and a leather chin strap. The chin strap looks similar to the type found on the standard WWI helmet, and is attached by a copper rivet.

A hand painted Marine Corps Eagle, Globe, & Anchor is on the front.

Overall condtion except for some small dents is VG++.

There are NO makers markings on this piece

Not my area of collecting but I thought it was neat. I will probably dispose of it in the near future.

regards,

Bob Frey

Hi Bob,

I think it might be an early WW2 Childs Helmet,i have seen a similar US one with a different decal.

I have an Australian version,and i know that a lot of countries made them.

Still its a great lid,and a good find :thumbsup:

Mick

Marx made many many "play army" helmets, but usually not as nice as this one. Looks too high quality to be the same mid/late 30's patriotic as marx was making though. Depending on how thick the steel is, it might be as early as the 20s. There were many companies back then that didn't usually mark their products, so a lot of this stuff is hard to track.

You never know, it might be a toy helmet with modified parts to make it nicer for the child.

I'm just a big kid, so this is neat!

I believe that this is a "reworked" MARX Army helmet from the 1930s/early 40s. I've never seen them with a full cloth liner before, usually just a circle of felt in the middle and the chin strap on this one looks better than the ones I've had (but I'm not too sure about that). The shape along with the ripples in the metal are the same as the one I have now, but mine is silver painted and has a "MARX Fighting Squadron" decal on the front.

The Marx helmets usually have two holes on the front near the decal, which I can only assume would deter people from confusing it will a small civil defense helmet. I'm also curious if there is a similar felt pad in this one, under the liner.