Found the Holy Grail of USMC Collecting

cplnorton

This is Gordon himself with his camera on Iwo. I thought it might have been a different guy, but I asked the family and it's him. I thought he deserved his own post for what he accomplished and photographed. I will try to scan more images as I have time. There are a lot more.

Gordon just passed away in March and I was not able to meet him. I would have gave about anything to have talked with him and shook his hand. The family says they have a video tape of Gordon talking about Iwo and they will get me a copy. I really can't wait to see it.

Gordon L. Cornell

scanstoday027.jpg

manayunkman

This wont be the last time I comment on this unbelievable collection of photographs.

If you were a scientist they would be giving you the Nobel Prize.

Some of those pictures give you such a look back in time.

You can almost imagine being there.

What does Norton have on the flap of the 45 holster ?

Tremendous find.

M

suwanneetrader
This wont be the last time I comment on this unbelievable collection of photographs.

If you were a scientist they would be giving you the Nobel Prize.

Some of those pictures give you such a look back in time.

You can almost imagine being there.

What does Norton have on the flap of the 45 holster ?

Tremendous find.

M

Thanks for posting the pictures, above photo looks like a knuckle knife being worn by him. Richard

suwanneetrader
iwoscan024.jpg

iwoscan024.jpg

iwoscan025.jpg

iwoscan026.jpg

iwoscan027.jpg

iwoscan028.jpg

iwoscan029.jpg

iwoscan031.jpg

GREAT PICTURES. There has been alot of discussion on the forum regarding ref saying that the horizontal diamond UNIS marking (like that shown in Pic of front of tank) is for First Div. and the Vertical Diamond is 3rd Div. Maybe this will help prove Some reference books are wrong as the First Div. wasn't on Iwo Jima but the 3rd Div. was. What do you think? Richard

suwanneetrader

What Div. , Regt. was Gordon Cornell assigned to? I would appreciate seeing any Pics of groups of Marines that their faces are clear enough to make out. Always looking for my Dad (I've been lucky enough to find one on Guam and one on Landing Craft off Iwo.) Richard

Again thank you for sharing this wonderful pictures. My uncle was with the 25th Marines on the island and these pictures mean a lot to me.

What Div. , Regt. was Gordon Cornell assigned to? I would appreciate seeing any Pics of groups of Marines that their faces are clear enough to make out. Always looking for my Dad (I've been lucky enough to find one on Guam and one on Landing Craft off Iwo.) Richard

I only know he was in the Vth Amphibious Corps. From the family history, he was a cook, but with the heavy losses on the first day of Iwo, he was drafted into the infantry, and fought on Iwo until it was mostly secured. But other than that, the family is digging up all the records and I will go over and get copies.

Gordon also has several hundred photos of Hawaii, Saipan, the Marshalls, and Statesboro Japan for the occupation. He then has a seperate book with photos of Korea. There are probably a 1000 pictures total. But I really like the Iwo ones.

Some of the names he has pics of from Saipan and Iwo. The ones with quotations are nicknames.

Bill Keehn Bremerton, Wash

Simms Stauffer

Boyer

Lewis McDonald

Springer

Hanabaum

"Frenchie"

Lawrence

Kelleher

Parsons

Endland

haugen

Green

Haugen

Hollands

brown

Neyhey

Miana

Laventy

Oris

Brown

Kelley

MacKibben

Spicerman

Hultman

Oliver

Mitchell

Shimwell

"Duke"

George

Bill Hultman

Stulp

"steve"

"bill"

J.P Oliver

"Monty"

Stulp

cuspon

Oliver

Mig

Farkas

Robertson

I posted this the other day but someone said it might have been from Korea.

This was Gordon's painted Sea Bag. It might have a clue but it might be Korea as well.

painteddufflebag003.jpg

painteddufflebag002.jpg

suwanneetrader
I only know he was in the Vth Amphibious Corps. From the family history, he was a cook, but with the heavy losses on the first day of Iwo, he was drafted into the infantry, and fought on Iwo until it was mostly secured. But other than that, the family is digging up all the records and I will go over and get copies.

Gordon also has several hundred photos of Hawaii, Saipan, the Marshalls, and Statesboro Japan for the occupation. He then has a seperate book with photos of Korea. There are probably a 1000 pictures total. But I really like the Iwo ones.

Some of the names he has pics of from Saipan and Iwo. The ones with quotations are nicknames.

Bill Keehn Bremerton, Wash

Simms Stauffer

Boyer

Lewis McDonald

Springer

Hanabaum

"Frenchie"

Lawrence

Kelleher

Parsons

Endland

haugen

Green

Haugen

Hollands

brown

Neyhey

Miana

Laventy

Oris

Brown

Kelley

MacKibben

Spicerman

Hultman

Oliver

Mitchell

Shimwell

"Duke"

George

Bill Hultman

Stulp

"steve"

"bill"

J.P Oliver

"Monty"

Stulp

cuspon

Oliver

Mig

Farkas

Robertson

My Dad was also a cook but was a rifleman in I Co 21st Marines 3rd Div on Iwo. One of his friends was called "Frenchie" like in the above list. Richard

WOW, this beats anything I have ever turned up. Amazing details and awe inspiring images. Thanks for posting these.

Mike

suwanneetrader
I posted this the other day but someone said it might have been from Korea.

This was Gordon's painted Sea Bag. It might have a clue but it might be Korea as well.

painteddufflebag003.jpg

painteddufflebag002.jpg

Some others can decipher these markings better than me, but I believe it shows he was in the 3rd Div Headquarters and Supply. There is that Horizontal Diamond UNIS marking again. Richard

Ok last ones before I head out the door for work. :)

Here is about four pics labeled "Frenchie." There are a ton of pics, labeled the "boys" and I will have to scan them for you. I really hope to have a pic of your Dad for you. That would be really neat. What is your dads full name by the way, and did he have a nickname. I will look for him in the books.

Frenchie is on the left.

iwoscan3003.jpg

iwoscan3006.jpg

I think Frenchie is on the right.

iwoscan3004.jpg

iwoscan3002.jpg

iwoscan3001.jpg

iwoscan3005.jpg

Fantastic phots!!! Hope to see more.

I had a chance to see a bunch of items and a whole lot of private taken pics like this, but from the time I walked in to the house the wife kept coming by and telling me "you are not buying or getting any of his stuff". The vet wanted me to get them as I was a Marine also and gave a crap, his wife just blew. Needless to say i did not get them and he has since passed on.

Lets see some more of yours!

Terry

suwanneetrader
Ok last ones before I head out the door for work. :)

Here is about four pics labeled "Frenchie." There are a ton of pics, labeled the "boys" and I will have to scan them for you. I really hope to have a pic of your Dad for you. That would be really neat. What is your dads full name by the way, and did he have a nickname. I will look for him in the books.

Frenchie is on the left.

iwoscan3003.jpg

iwoscan3006.jpg

I think Frenchie is on the right.

iwoscan3004.jpg

iwoscan3002.jpg

iwoscan3001.jpg

iwoscan3005.jpg

Thanks for asking about my Dad. He was Richard J. Marquette "Dick" His Ka-Bar has "The Rattler" burnt into the leather sheath. I looked

for the Frenchie photo but can not find it, must be in one of my Mom's old albums. Here is a pic of my Dad on Guam after Iwo. Richard

post-15934-1343437580.jpgpost-15934-1343437742.jpg

I don't see anything on your dad yet, but I'm still diasecting a lot of his photos.

scan4001.jpg

scan4002.jpg

scan4003.jpg

scan4004.jpg

scan4005.jpg

scan4006.jpg

scan4007.jpg

Here in the books some of the pictures are really detoriating. Maybe they were expose wrong?

scan4014.jpg.

scan4008.jpg

scan4009.jpg

scan4010.jpg

scan4011.jpg

scan4012.jpg

scan4013.jpg

I would love to see any more pictures of the style jeep in 24 the ones with the flat tops. I am restoring one right now. They built roughly 800 of them during WWII

Stinger Gunner USMC

There has been some discussion as to what unit Gordon Cornell served with at Iwo Jima. He was with B Co. V Corps Medical Battalion. There is also discussion of UNIS markings on his sea bag and what they mean.

3-2-H&S was from his post WWII days when he was with 3rd Bn 2nd Marines in 1951. The horizontal diamond is 3rd Marine Division - I have multiple 3rd Marine division sea bags and a 3rd Marine Div foot locker and all have this marking. I have found no reference to him having served in the 3rd division, but it is possible that he was attached at some point? The circle within a rectangle UNIS marking is one I have never seen but it is consistent with 3/2 which he served with during Korea.

With Iwo Jima being my focus area of collecting and research, I find these photos absolutely amazing!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What an incredible trove of historical photos !! Not much more I can add in terms of the praise and significance of this find that hasn't already been noted...very cool !! I think Manny put it best...these photos literally transport you to that tiny volcanic island where so many fought and died for the freedom we enjoy today !!

Thanks for sharing this with us !!

Vic