New Nat Geo channel militaria/weapons show

History Man

I struggled to get through two episodes including the MG-42 episode mentioned above. What a bunch of crap, and these so called experts just made me want to puke! The sword guy in particular, I mean really, is a Japanese sword worth more because we can cut colored water milk jugs and watermelons! Did he really need to remove the tang to see that the sword was not a samurai katana or even a WWII military fitted sword! I could see it from my t.v. and I haven't touched a Japanese sword in 15 years! Utter rubbish and I hope it fails miserably. These shows educate no one and they make average people think that M-1 Garand muzzle covers are thousand dollar items, thus adversely affecting collectors. Scott.

I watched the show and found myself yelling at the TV. Only $3,500 for an MG-42.... really?????? Unless you have the credentials, you cant buy and sell them, and these guys walked in with one and you would have thought they were just selling a .22 rifle based on the way the negotiations were being was portayed. I'm sure the ATF would enjoy the episode. When they appraised a souvenir WWII map for 10K, I just about died. This show is so obviously staged and awkward, that I just cant watch it anymore.

Kurt

I watched the show and found myself yelling at the TV. Only $3,500 for an MG-42.... really?????? Unless you have the credentials, you cant buy and sell them, and these guys walked in with one and you would have thought they were just selling a .22 rifle based on the way the negotiations were being was portayed. When they appraised a souvenir WWII map for 10K, I just about died. This show is so obviously staged and awkward, that I just cant watch it anymore.

Kurt

Since host Sean Rich is from this area I know lots of people who know him well (I never met him, even though he roamed the floor during my "auction.") They are really bummed when they learn it was all faked and wonder why he would go along with it. My answer to them is to look at how much money can be made when a "reality" show becomes successful.

There is no one on the show who knows militaria, really. As I said, I had to tell them what I had, what it was worth and then they embellished the value and patted each other on the back on-air for their encylopedic knowledge of such things.

Producer Christopher Bray was one of the original producers of Pawn Stars and is a very smart guy, but you have to wonder why he thought an audience of soccer moms made a credible auction crowd for guns and militaria, or why they should just totally ignore actual values? Granted they aren't trying to impress those in the know, but it would seem that smart, talented people could produce an entertaining show without having to create distorted reality TV.

Amazingly, when I did a Google search for reviews of this show, they were overwhelmingly positive and no one seems to realize that it's mostly a sham.

vintageproductions

Everyone needs to remember these shows are not geared towards the collectors, they are geared towards the everyday person who watches television as doesn't know what the items are worth.

If the general public doesn't know what they are worth, all the reason the valuations should at least be realistic. Id like to see that lady get 10K for her map.

Kurt

vintageproductions

I agree Kurt, as the map looked like one of the souvenir pieces out of a Unit History. In my mind they are $100.00 on a good day. But from the TV point of view, who wants to see a maybe $100.00 map?

vintageproductions

When we fought for authenticity on Combat Cash, our Producer with us, the network always wanted prices higher and more drama.

We wanted realism they wanted reality, and we lost.....

When we fought for authenticity on Combat Cash, our Producer with us, the network always wanted prices higher and more drama.

We wanted realism they wanted "reality", and we lost.....

Fixed. ;)

All the more reason for you start a small web series, then you could be sure it made it to the target audience - other collectors.

I enjoyed your show and wish it was still on TV. Its just too bad that "reality" has to be anything but reality.

When they provide ridiculous estimates of value, it makes the public think they have gold. I hope the lady that had that map really doesn't think it's worth 10K and put a rider on her insurance policy.

Kurt

Kurt - If you can find that DVD, I'd love to see it. I don't have one and would love to go back and watch myself on TV when I had hair! Frank

I have a newspaper clipping of the event to confirm that I actually did have hair at one point! It would be fun to go back through the program and see what I showed, what I have, and what I've parted with.

Since host Sean Rich is from this area I know lots of people who know him well (I never met him, even though he roamed the floor during my "auction.")

I can't get past the fact that he wears WAY too much "bling"! When I saw him on Pawn Stars, he had on too many huge gold necklaces and bracelets. I can't trust a man who wears so much gold jewelry. "I pity the fool who trusts my opinion!" :D

history-buff1944

I suffered though last nights episode where they appraised a working MG-42 at $3500. I will never watch that show again.

Ditto. I saw one at an Austin, Texas gun show for $75,000--and it sold for that price.

history-buff1944

Everyone needs to remember these shows are not geared towards the collectors, they are geared towards the everyday person who watches television as doesn't know what the items are worth.

HAve to slightly disagree with a term you used. Not "General Public" but "General Suckers." It ticks me off to see the absolute wool pulling over their eyes that these people do.

I suffered though last nights episode where they appraised a working MG-42 at $3500. I will never watch that show again.

I struggled to get through two episodes including the MG-42 episode mentioned above. What a bunch of crap, and these so called experts just made me want to puke! The sword guy in particular, I mean really, is a Japanese sword worth more because we can cut colored water milk jugs and watermelons! Did he really need to remove the tang to see that the sword was not a samurai katana or even a WWII military fitted sword! I could see it from my t.v. and I haven't touched a Japanese sword in 15 years! Utter rubbish and I hope it fails miserably. These shows educate no one and they make average people think that M-1 Garand muzzle covers are thousand dollar items, thus adversely affecting collectors. Scott.

I watched the show and found myself yelling at the TV. Only $3,500 for an MG-42.... really?????? Unless you have the credentials, you cant buy and sell them, and these guys walked in with one and you would have thought they were just selling a .22 rifle based on the way the negotiations were being was portayed. I'm sure the ATF would enjoy the episode. When they appraised a souvenir WWII map for 10K, I just about died. This show is so obviously staged and awkward, that I just cant watch it anymore.

Kurt

They did mention, though did not explain what it meant, that it was a Dealer Sample MG-42. That means the receiver was produced or re-welded after the Firearms Owner’s Protection Act of 1986, so only those with a Class 3 license can purchase and own it. Because of that it isn't worth as much as a fully transferable gun, due to the fact you can only own it while holding a Class 3, and if you don't renew the license you must sell or destroy the gun.

The gun that sold for $75,000 would have been a transferable gun, which anyone can own as long as their state allows it, they pass a background check, and pay a $200 tax.

If you want to see other examples of pre/post 86 guns look at subguns.com

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've been watching Lords of War...not sure why as it's by no means a good show. I mostly fast forward through it as I really only enjoy seeing the items "being offered". I've grown tired, however, of all the pyrotechnics (not just with this show, but all of the others like it). I also found it silly that last night one of the appraisers said he was looking forward to taking a samurai sword to the range? They couldn't just go behind the tent?

The other part that boggles me is the commission aspect. As already evident from Bob Hudson's post, the show is completely staged so I'm not going to go into how an auction house would not take a commission if the item sells, but below their estimate. They'd be out of business in no time if this were the case...

One thing that I do find funny is how they portray sellers excitement when an item is appraised at $23,000 and sells for $23,500; $500 above the appraised value, which would mean they need to pay commission fees.

Let's say the "Lords of War" take a very low commission fee; say 9% of the final value (comparable to EBay). So the item went above the appraised value, however now the seller is responsible for $2,115 in commission fees! The commission fee would have to be around 2.1%, which is unheard of, in order for the seller to see the appraised value...in this exact scenario, I'd rather see the item sell $1,000 or even $1,500 below the appraised value as I would take home more cash.

I know this is brainless entertainment and I shouldn't really analyze it as much as I do, but TV programmers must think people are complete morons (which I'm sure they do)...

This is why I said, and was chastized for, that there is a curse of reality TV. instead of making someone appear a great expert, it tends to have the reverse effcet when it comes to people in the know. Now they can can be great guys, (wait- in today's reality TV you now need a blond female), and know their stuff and all that - but the producer/director/editor is going to do what they want. And unless someone personally knows you all they have to go on is what is shown.

That being said, I have ot wonder at what point would I sell out and do it for the money? It's really easy to say one never would, but only a handful of people seem to have actually bailed on such shows. And more power to them!

RustyCanteen

This is why I said, and was chastized for, that there is a curse of reality TV.

Where were you "chastized" for making that comment?

If you are talking about a recent post of yours, it was removed because it had nothing to do with the thread it was posted on.

• 3 months later...

Lords of War has been cancelled (or rather "not renewed"). I thought it should have been booted just for being way to faked for National Geographic, but host Sean Rich's website blames it on anti-gun sentiment. I was surprised that the show made its debut in the midst of the latest anti-gun hysteria, but that not withstanding, it was just not a good show.

sow.jpg