Meet "Cliché Company"!

Sabrejet

That's right. I remember from my childhood (1960s/70s) such movies as among others the Guadalcanal Diary, Air Force, Action in the North Atlantic, American Guerrilla in the Philippines, From Here to Eternity, Attack, The Enemy Below, Hell Is For Heroes, The Devil's Brigade, Hell in the Pacific. That was good old era. I am not sure if I prefer modern, theoretically better and more realistic WWII related films.

:huh:

They showed those in Poland dubbed/sub-titled in Polish in the Cold War years?!

They showed those in Poland dubbed/sub-titled in Polish in the Cold War years?!

Yes!!! :w00t: :lol:

I know, hard to believe... :w00t: ... but this is the truth. These films I mentioned and many other US movies dedicated to WWII.

Remember we have always been "The Number One Rebel" of the Central Europe occupied by the Soviets. We have always been as normal country as possible despite Soviet occupation. Not entire nation only pissed on Soviet system but also various media and decision makers. Behind the Iron Curtain our TV broadcasted the US war movies unimaginable in the USSR and other WarPac countries. They could not believe we had such movies in the Polish TV or cinemas. The Polish freedom has always been not to restrain -- the Russkies hated us in the Cold War era because we have always had the greatest number of video sets, satellite antennas, computers etc. that were unknown in the WarPac countries under the Soviet thumb.

The "Air Force", for instance, I could see both in the Polish TV and Warsaw cinemas -- in the darkness of WarPac, Iron Curtain, Evil Empire and whatever we call it. Haha -- ask the Soviets if they could dream to watch any US war movie on WWII in their fanatically and aggressively indoctrinated TV or cinemas.

:)

Great posts, everyone!

Very funny, and true observations indeed. War movies are almost comical sometimes.

Kat, I don't usually do this, but your comment reminded me of this video.

Others may get a kick out of it as well. Pay no attention to the ridiculous usage of toy rifles and non-military costumery.

18+ only -- strong language on this video.

Hilarious! :laughing1:

My...doesn't Lech look young there!? ;)

Yes. The photo was taken in 1988 or 1989 when we liquidated the Commies finally.

Imagine the Commies' censors fought fanatically against such movies as "From Here to Eternity" and "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" because they showed theory of passive resistance. Jack Nicholson knew about it very well that's why he wore the Polish "Solidarność" badge.

:)

General Apathy

post-344-1345238049.jpg

:) :thumbsup:

Hey Gregory, I still have my badge which I made a donation for from a Polish girl that worked in the bank I used for business.

ken

post-344-1345238049.jpg

Hey Gregory, I still have my badge which I made a donation for from a Polish girl that worked in the bank I used for business.

ken

Nice to know :) Such small things are the Cold War era relics as well.

Back to the merits of the topic...

I do not remember if John Oliver Killens' novel "And Then We Heard The Thunder" (WWII PTO)was filmed or not but, in my opinion, popular stereotype is a military careerist who is hero posing but unable to fight effectively when it is needed. Killens described such characters very well.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...
SGT CHIP SAUNDERS

It may have already been tagged, but in many WWII films the stiff upper lipped Brit gets his knickers in a twist about ethics and proper behaviour. One of the better. ones was. 'KING RAT'. The GI "George Segal" wheels and deals, hated by his camp mates. But at the time of liberation, they realize he saved lives with his tactics.

SGT CHIP SAUNDERS

A good stereo type was depicted. By Eddie Albert in one of the best. "ATTACK !" Jack Palance calls him the Gutless Wonder. THE movie stereotype frequently. seen is the oldest GI in the world, whos has 4 kids and medical problems, but won't try to get reassigned