Meet "Cliché Company"!

Sabrejet

I was sorting through my large collection of classic war movie DVDs. It took me a while because I kept stopping to read the blurbs printed on their cases. As I did so it struck me how many American war movies seem to draw on a range of stereotypical characters which comprise "the squad". I've christened them "Cliché Company"...see if you recognize any of them.

The southern farm boy. Loves his momma and has a gal a-waitin' for him back home. Keeps her picture inside his helmet liner.

The streetwise hustler. Usually a fast talking New Yorker. He can get you anything from a can of Spam to a bottle of scotch...if the price is right!

The quiet one. Very studious, reads a lot when out of the line. The draft interrupted his studies. Plans to return to school after the war to become a lawyer.

The cowboy. Usually known to all as "Tex". Plays mournful country tunes on his harmonica. Makes the squad feel homesick.

The hard-bitten NCO. A regular army man. Been there, done that. Hard on his men but they respect him for it. Has his own private demons. Drinks a lot to escape them.

Kowalski....there's always one named "Kowalski"!

Sound familiar? Maybe you can add some military stereotypes of your own? ;)

How about...The Shavetail: a young 2nd Lt who's full of enthusiasm but just keeps screwing things up due to his youth and inexperience, so our "hard-bitten NCO" has to continuously save his butt!

How about...The Shavetail: a young 2nd Lt who's full of enthusiasm but just keeps screwing things up due to his youth and inexperience, so our "hard-bitten NCO" has to continuously save his butt!

Or the one who gets knocked off real early in the movie :(

How about "The OLD MAN", usually a senior officer that inspires his men through tough discipline, but is always right and really a nice guy.

FATSO - The one guy who was heavier than anyone else, who usually needed help through the confidence course and PT, who sweated more than anybody else, who was picked on by idiots in the unit but who was much befriended and gave his all when others would not.

SPECS - The guy with glasses who could not get along without them, who always knew how to spell and do long division, who got turned over to a lady of the evening as a gift from the guys on the last night before shipping out, who would read other people's letters from home for them, who could pick off a sniper in a tree at 200 yards or who was first to go pull a pilot out of his burning plane.

I'm liking these. How about "DOC"...the aid man who always puts his life on the line for the other guys. When the cry "Medic!" goes up, he's Johnny-on-the-spot every time!

Ha ha :lol::lol::lol:

There is some 10.1 million American Poles in the USA but not all of them are the Kowalskis. I agree that the US movie industry knows this one Polish surname only.

And what about Monica Lewinsky... :P;):):blush:

There is some 10.1 million American Poles in the USA but not all of them are the Kowalskis. I agree that the US movie industry knows this one Polish surname only.

BUT, regardless..........there's ALWAYS a SKI!! :lol: (Just like on the Fourm.)

And........ The LONER!

Always a tough guy that just takes care of himself, until the chips are down and the hero, or the squad, need help.

The Bitter One: He's the guy with an attitude problem/chip on his shoulder. Used to be a top-kick but got busted for repeated insubordination. Hates officers...but, in a fight, he's the man you want in the foxhole next to you!

And how many are currently here in the UK Gregory? ;)

Garandomatic

Years ago I noticed that there was always a Kowalski in the movies. Was digging in a 3 ft pile of surplus (WWI was toward the bottom of the pile) at the old Army-Navy Store, and there it was. SOme unknown strap from something or other, had a tag on it, and danged if it wasn't Kowalski's! Almost picked it up, but times were tough for collecting when I was in high school.

Years ago I noticed that there was always a Kowalski in the movies. Was digging in a 3 ft pile of surplus (WWI was toward the bottom of the pile) at the old Army-Navy Store, and there it was. SOme unknown strap from something or other, had a tag on it, and danged if it wasn't Kowalski's! Almost picked it up, but times were tough for collecting when I was in high school.

The fact is that Kowalski belongs to the group of the most popular Polish surnames -- it is a counterpart of the Anglo-Saxon Smith. At present we do have more than 140,000 Kowalskis in Poland.

And one more historical-statistical remark. According to our estimation after WWII, in the 1950s, more than 6 million American Poles lived in the USA. Willy-nilly the Kowalskis had to be among them. And no doubt hundreds of the Kowalskis were the US GIs during WWII.

:)

Don't forget the feisty "Irishman"...with a few drinks inside him he's up for a fight with anyone! Oh....and he always has red hair!

SPECS - The guy with glasses who could not get along without them, who always knew how to spell and do long division, who got turned over to a lady of the evening as a gift from the guys on the last night before shipping out, who would read other people's letters from home for them, who could pick off a sniper in a tree at 200 yards or who was first to go pull a pilot out of his burning plane.

SPECS also gets stuck as the RTO more often than not it seems! :pinch:

Share your favourite military stereotypes!

I would add Robert E. Lee Prewitt type of a character ("From Here to Eternity") -- a man without future, a man with a tendency to self-destruction. In my opinion such a person must be in majority of older US war movies.

Johnny Signor

How about "The Doper" , you know the "Heeeeeey Mannnn" guy in those 70's movies , always high and trying to get everyone else that way................................

Slightly crazy MG gunner In almost every movie, the LMG gunner is slightly nuts and seems to really like shooting up people, regardless who they are.

The Bitter One: He's the guy with an attitude problem/chip on his shoulder. Used to be a top-kick but got busted for repeated insubordination. Hates officers...but, in a fight, he's the man you want in the foxhole next to you!

Jack's son and Sabre you mean this guy right ? :D

post-34986-1343363459.jpg