Artificially Aged helmets on ebay;easy green

Mustang

Does this guy"easy green" have some wonder method of making these helmets look so convincing?I have tried practicing on a few cracked post war lids but I have never came close to making one look like these.Is there some big secret to doing this?

Before I am blasted for asking......I want to create replica helmets for each of my ww2 relatives units to be used as wall hangers.I will be using post war pots for this and nothing rare or unique will be used.Any help with ideas on aging them are appreciated.

That's kind of a loaded question here... Besides the obvious of imparting knowledge online so that MORE helmet fakers can flood the market, using a post war helmet will have the wrong color, wrong texture, and wrong chinstraps. I would say consign it to someone who knows how to do it, or (and this is just my opinion) spend the money for an original.

EasyGreen sure has spend years to get that good at faking helmets so it takes some practice i guess. I had a girlfriend who loved to turn furniture into antique looking and I will send you a PM with what I know.

There are enough fakes out there, you shouldn't have a problem getting a couple of good ones cheap! Keep watching this spot for the next "fake" thread.

Yes I know there are many fakes but don't see many for the units I want to represent.The post war steel pots are what I want to use........easy to replace.I do not feel good about leaving original stuff displayed in the open.Too many people want to touch,drop,steal,etc........Thanks

Yes I know there are many fakes but don't see many for the units I want to represent.The post war steel pots are what I want to use........easy to replace.I do not feel good about leaving original stuff displayed in the open.Too many people want to touch,drop,steal,etc........Thanks

In this case......you may end-up with a "doityourselfer". :lol:

try to use a WWII shell thats been recycled and do a restoration, then you will have the correct front seam made of stainless steel, higher dome and it will look better than using a VN low dome with a steel rear seam

add aged repro straps, etc

The artefakers have helped create the myth that virtually every unit had painted helmets. In reality this was not the case...the vast majority of WW2 M1s were just "Plain Janes". Do you have absolute proof that your relatives actually wore unit-marked helmets?

The artefakers have helped create the myth that virtually every unit had painted helmets. In reality this was not the case...the vast majority of WW2 M1s were just "Plain Janes". Do you have absolute proof that your relatives actually wore unit-marked helmets?

This. Why bother wasting money on a painted fake?

Shadow boxes with relatives insignia are classier anyways.

No absolute proof except my Grandfather's unit......84th Division.I won an ebay auction about a year ago and got an 84th helmet although it may be a fake....not sure.When I am able to get to it I will post photos.

The other units I had relatives in were 737th Tank Battalion,8th Division,29th Division,and 1st Engineer Special Brigade.It would take a small fortune to amass originals from these units.

YOU MAY WANT TO KEEP ONE OF THOSE WORKS OF ART UNDER YOUR BED SO IF YOU MUST GO DURING THE NIGHT ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SLIDE IT OUT AND RELEIVE YOURSELF. THAT IS WHY I CALL THEM PISS POTS.

post-73-1343322737.jpg

Does this guy"easy green" have some wonder method of making these helmets look so convincing?I have tried practicing on a few cracked post war lids but I have never came close to making one look like these.Is there some big secret to doing this?

Before I am blasted for asking......I want to create replica helmets for each of my ww2 relatives units to be used as wall hangers.I will be using post war pots for this and nothing rare or unique will be used.Any help with ideas on aging them are appreciated.

I know I have some ideas on what I'd try, but you've probably already tried them as I've never done it. Keep the colors muted and they should look fine for wall hangers - especially if you don't need to look closely. I get what you want to do - You don't want anything real brightly colored I guess, mix some black in the paint and then go rub it in the dirt.

Put some pics up when you've finished.

I'll be honest, and maybe some will disagree: I don't think easy_green's stuff is all that good. Once you've been looking at it for awhile, you can spot his helmets pretty quickly on eBay or somewhere else. Unfortunately, there are better fakers out there. My 2 cents.

I won an ebay auction about a year ago and got an 84th helmet although it may be a fake....not sure.

And that is why we think the easy greens of the world are pond scum: once those helmets get out in the world they are going to be passed off as the real thing even though anyone who buys from him does get a (sometimes muddled) notice that they are repaints. In the past we looked at his sales trends and it appeared he was grossing perhaps more than $80,000 a year from his helmets and I have no doubts that his buyers do pass them on for much more than they paid him.

The ethical thing to do would be to engrave "reproduction" inside them, but then that would drastically reduce his sales.

I'll be honest, and maybe some will disagree: I don't think easy_green's stuff is all that good. Once you've been looking at it for awhile, you can spot his helmets pretty quickly on eBay or somewhere else. Unfortunately, there are better fakers out there. My 2 cents.

Ditto Bill. After awhile, they almost have a cartoonish look to the "art work".

No absolute proof except my Grandfather's unit......84th Division.I won an ebay auction about a year ago and got an 84th helmet although it may be a fake....not sure.When I am able to get to it I will post photos.

The other units I had relatives in were 737th Tank Battalion,8th Division,29th Division,and 1st Engineer Special Brigade.It would take a small fortune to amass originals from these units.

Actually, the 84th did mark their helmets... at least some of them toward the end of the war. They are rare but, they do exist.

BTW, we really don't encourage the USMF to become a training ground or support service for future easy_greener's.

post_1726_1266969351.jpg

I'm not a helmet guy, per se. But if you want a replicated helmet why not contact 'easy green' tell him what you want, get a price and have him make it/them for you. Problem solved! Easy Does it! :rolleyes: Good Luck......Bobgee

There are enough fakes out there, you shouldn't have a problem getting a couple of good ones cheap! Keep watching this spot for the next "fake" thread.

Yeah. Buy my corpsman one listed in the for sale section.

You might try digging a hole in your back yard, put the shells into it, fill it in and leave them there for at least six months? Then, exhume them. Job done! ;)

doinworkinvans
You might try digging a hole in your back yard, put the shells into it, fill it in and leave them there for at least six months? Then, exhume them. Job done! ;)

HAHA I like this idea best! Or better yet don't fake one at all. There's too many already.

I have heard about a guy doing this and then urinating on that spot for months. Always makes me laugh when I see people at this guys table smelling his lids! :lol:

Have also heard tobacco juice can add that aged look.