Ironing uniforms

2ndInf.Div.

2ndInf.Div.

I know the sticky says to not iron historical uniforms, but I've been told that article is both right and wrong on some things. Since most of the stuff I use for Korean War living history displays isn't reproduced, I have to wear mostly original uniforms and gear. So I was wondering if it's ok if I iron my HBT's and khakis, and how can I get the wrinkles out of my Ike jacket? Thanks in advance!

This is my own choice on what to do but I'm sure there are others who might have better suggestions. I'm not all that tender with my stuff because it's already MilSpec which means to me it will last longer than either of us.

Of course you can iron your cottons either lightly or the old fashioned way by first rinsing them in a bucket of starch. No, I don't recommend the latter and for the former I think you have to decide to iron based on the condition of the material. Something I used to do was drop my cottons in the drier for a few minutes, hang them to dry and then fold which will give the uniforms a "barracks bag" look. No ironing but that's my choice.

I would give the wool a light steam ironing to knock out the wrinkles and then let it finish drying on a hanger. Use a pants hanger for the trousers.

Good luck

If you had your Ike dry-cleaned the steam would remove the creases. Obviously, you wouldn't do that after each time you wore it (which presumably wouldn't be that often?) but once done to begin with, as long as it was put away and hung on a good, shaped hangar it should be fine. I've got almost twenty Ikes from WW2 > 50s. None of them has ever needed pressing. I store them hung in individual suit-bags...with cedarwood mothballs!!

For wool items the safest thing is to hang them on the bathroom shower rod (far enough from the shower head so they don't get sprayed), turn the hot water on full blast, close the bathroom door and let it fill it up with steam. When I traveled on business this was how I got the wrinkles out my suits when I unpacked them in hotels.

As suggested above a short trip in the dryer can help with cotton items: sometimes tossing a damp towel in with them will help. The trick is to remove them as soon as they are dry and then carefully hang them up.

Ironing and especially starching will shorten the lifespan of clothing: I have seen a lot of ragged fabric on sharp creases.

I take/took my stuff to the cleaners, no different than your dress shirts, sports coats, etc. Thats how it was done back then too. Ask them to add military creases on your shirts. It looks Damn good!

2ndInf.Div.

That sounds like a good idea Mark!

Ian, I don't wear it too horribly often. Only Honor Flights or USO dances at reenactments.

I've pressed things that were 100% cotton before, medium to low heat, no issues. WWII navy whites, khakis, etc. Just know that if you have stains, like in the whites, you should tackle those first as the heat will help set them. I would never use starch on old stuff, as it breaks down fabric.

Wools, like the other guys have said, dry clean, shower method work well. If you have a very bad wrinkle in one spot, place a damp (wet and rung-out) hankerchief or piece of T-shirt material over it. Then iron over the damp cloth on low heat. I use this method on my modern Class A's and older uniforms. Works great and doesn't hurt the wool.

I take/took my stuff to the cleaners, no different than your dress shirts, sports coats, etc. Thats how it was done back then too. Ask them to add military creases on your shirts. It looks Damn good!

Yup...

Due caution being exercised when handling something REALLY old, of course.

I love MilSpec stuff WWII-Present, almost indestructible.

Keep in mind that it may be no big deal today, but in years to come the tiny amount of damage to the fibers will add up. Just becasue you do not see the damage right then and there, does not mean it is not happeneing.

Back in 1950 people probably felt that ironing ACW uniforms was fine. Today... not so much.

I am constantly amazed at home time flies and things I put away "just for a little while" have remained backed for years and years lonmger than I expected.