Signal Corps re-enactors?

Sabrejet

I snapped this couple at the "War & Peace Show" last week. I was impressed by the attention to detail and the fact that they dared to be different! It came as a refreshing change from the usual combat troops.

post-8022-1343216821.jpgpost-8022-1343216831.jpg

Can anyone tell us about the movie camera with its "Mickey Mouse" ears....ie what type/model it is etc? Thanks.

Signal Corps is actually a popular impression among those who are into old cameras. In fact, a US re-enacting organization has an entire Signal Corps unit as the unbrella group for many war correspondent re-enactors. Click here to see more. I'm personally not a member as they are mostly focused in the center of the country and it's extremely unlikely I'll ever be at events there.

Myself and a pal of mine who's into WW2 camera collecting (yes, I showed him this link) are planning to put on what I think will be the mother of all camera/war correspondent displays at the MVPA convention in Portland, Oregon next summer!

Signal Corps is actually a popular impression among those who are into old cameras. In fact, a US re-enacting organization has an entire Signal Corps unit as the unbrella group for many war correspondent re-enactors. Click here to see more. I'm personally not a member as they are mostly focused in the center of the country and it's extremely unlikely I'll ever be at events there.

Myself and a pal of mine who's into WW2 camera collecting (yes, I showed him this link) are planning to put on what I think will be the mother of all camera/war correspondent displays at the MVPA convention in Portland, Oregon next summer!

Ok..thanks for that Lee. :thumbsup:

Ian, there's a nice US Army Dodge panel truck I've seen at a couple events in Switzerland, and I might have a picture of it somewhere with the "Mickey Mouse" movie camera on top of it, the people who own it are not into reenactment, just belong to a military vehicle club.

photographerdodge.jpg

I've mentioned before I've also reenacted a War Photographer, with alot of insignia (including nice sniper target on helmet) to let people know I'm not reenacting a combat trooper. ;)

marthalen2008.jpg

Its actually a Dodge Wc 54 ambulance not a carryall. A carryall has windows in the side and is similar to a suburban

Ian, there's a nice US Army Dodge panel truck I've seen at a couple events in Switzerland, and I might have a picture of it somewhere with the "Mickey Mouse" movie camera on top of it, the people who own it are not into reenactment, just belong to a military vehicle club.

photographerdodge.jpg

I've mentioned before I've also reenacted a War Photographer, with alot of insignia (including nice sniper target on helmet) to let people know I'm not reenacting a combat trooper. ;)

marthalen2008.jpg

Hey Pat...you look none too pleased there! :lol:

Its actually a Dodge Wc 54 ambulance not a carryall. A carryall has windows in the side and is similar to a suburban

@tractor, you mean a carryall like this one? I took these pictures in Switzerland too, wouldn't kick it out of my garage for leakin' oil. ;)

cimg3517n.jpg

cimg3518.jpg

cimg3519s.jpg

Hey Pat...you look none too pleased there! :lol:

@Ian, we were doing a little socializing, visited the Italiens, they are Swiss Italiens and they always have some good vino, but before we drank a glass or two, we had to do some POW photos, which made thier day. :lol:

@Ian, we were doing a little socializing, visited the Italiens, they are Swiss Italiens and they always have some good vino, but before we drank a glass or two, we had to do some POW photos, which made thier day. :lol:

Pat...you got it wrong. The Italians didn't take POWs...they were the POWs!! ;)

Pat...you got it wrong. The Italians didn't take POWs...they were the POWs!! ;)

Hmmm, getting off subject here, anyway reminds me of a joke I once heard.

Here's a picture of an Italien Massed Frontal Infantry Assault.

italiensurrender.jpg

The Signal Corps??
Every time I set up my war correspondent stuff I usually get a comment from someone who's been in the hobby for a while, saying it's so nice to see someone representing someone other than the Airborne, Rangers or other high-profile killer units.

The funny thing is that often, one of my pals in my group will get someone coming up and making a snide comment about how I must be a pacifist or something to do that impression. My buddies know to remind these people that I have a substantial weapons collection and was a real-life Army officer at one point, it really confuses them to hear that! ;)

WarCoClassAStand.jpg

It is wonderful to see a non-elite impression, there is nothing wrong with being a plain old infantryman or even a support person after all i think today there are more guys in airborne and ranger uniforms than there were during the whole war. For myself I do 51st AIR only thing different about AIR and regular infantry is they rode in half tracks.

Mack

Can anyone tell us about the movie camera with its "Mickey Mouse" ears....ie what type/model it is etc? Thanks.

The camera appears to be a Bell & Howell 16mm Filmo with extended magazine. Not sure on the precise type...could be a 70DA.

I've just picked up a military example of this camera body complete with the US Army Signal Corps nomenclature plate on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Arrived yesterday....needs a good clean (and a few lenses, and a tripod, and a motordrive ;) )

Filmo70DL.jpg

Signal Corps US Army

Camera, Motion Picture PH-340-B

Bell & Howell Company.

I think mine's a Filmo 70DL, it hasn't got the opening for extended magazines unfortunately.

Arrived yesterday....needs a good clean (and a few lenses, and a tripod, and a motordrive ;) )

Filmo70DL.jpg

Signal Corps US Army

Camera, Motion Picture PH-340-B

Bell & Howell Company.

I think mine's a Filmo 70DL, it hasn't got the opening for extended magazines unfortunately.

Absolutely nice! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

Thing must've gotten wet at some point. The shutter was corroded stuck, as well as the speed selector dial. After cleaning the oxidation away and greasing and oiling all the required points the camera is now purring along nicely again. :)

There's a period 3" lens and viewfinder for it on the way. Would like a 6" lens to complete the set.

I don't think I'll ever actually run film through it. 16mm film is still available, but it would cost me about $1.50 per yard to have it developed for B/W reversal film.

Signal corps cameras I do actually use:

K35-02.jpg

Kodak 35 "PH-324s", the one on the left was missing the rear flip-up part of the viewfinder, which has since been replaced.