29th helmet

gitana

This insignia sits very low for WW2 so I'm thinking sometime post war. Does anyone see any issues with the paint, or can someone provide photos of the insignia like this - the ones I have in the 1950s have it placed higher on the helmet. Plus, I thought that they used decals after WW2.

post-14792-1343153291.jpg

It looks very like one I have in my collection...same dark OD semi-gloss paint and similar positioning of the patch. I've always assumed it to be a post-war re-paint as the interior of the shell has the same finish. KW era shells tend to have this kind of finish.

Was it common to paint the insignia after WW2, as opposed to using a decal? And is the position typical? I can't find any good postwar photos to reference.

Was it common to paint the insignia after WW2, as opposed to using a decal? And is the position typical? I can't find any good postwar photos to reference.

I think the 29th became an NG unit in the immediate post-war period. There would have been a cadre of WW2 vets so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that they continued to use WW2 marking practices? :think:

craig_pickrall

This is a helmet that came from a 29th ID National Guard Armory surplus equipment sale in the mid 1980's. It is in new condition with the painted insignia and also the liner just as I received it. The cost as you see it was $7.00 so there is no trickery involved. I also received a 10% discount because I bought ever helmet they had for sale.

post-5-1343162131.jpg

post-5-1343162145.jpg

post-5-1343162154.jpg

post-5-1343162163.jpg

post-5-1343162171.jpg

post-5-1343162182.jpg

post-5-1343162192.jpg

post-5-1343162209.jpg

post-5-1343162221.jpg

post-5-1343162233.jpg

post-5-1343162243.jpg

post-5-1343162253.jpg

everforward
I think the 29th became an NG unit in the immediate post-war period. There would have been a cadre of WW2 vets so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that they continued to use WW2 marking practices? :think:

Well in the 1950's 29th Division era it was more commonplace in the 115th IR, 175th IR and the 110th FA (all Maryland units) to still apply the 29th ID emblem to the liners in the WW2 fashion, and the pots as well in many cases.....and even then it would vary from unit to unit.

From what I have seen in pictures from the 50's, the units from Virginia (116th IR, 111th FA) would mark the helmet liners with decals on the sides of the liner and usually nothing on the from of the pots, but I've seen a few marked helmet fronts ala WW2.

Even as late as 1957 there were still many D-Day veterans serving on the 116th Regimental Staff.

Well in the 1950's 29th Division era it was more commonplace in the 115th IR, 175th IR and the 110th FA (all Maryland units) to still apply the 29th ID emblem to the liners in the WW2 fashion, and the pots as well in many cases.....and even then it would vary from unit to unit.

From what I have seen in pictures from the 50's, the units from Virginia (116th IR, 111th FA) would mark the helmet liners with decals on the sides of the liner and usually nothing on the from of the pots, but I've seen a few marked helmet fronts ala WW2.

Even as late as 1957 there were still many D-Day veterans serving on the 116th Regimental Staff.

Thanks. I'd like to go to the Maryland Historical Society (re. the 29th) and peruse their photographs one day. I was wondering if this was a legit insignia or a made up hump job from some time ago. Do you have any feeling about it in that light?

This is a helmet that came from a 29th ID National Guard Armory surplus equipment sale in the mid 1980's. It is in new condition with the painted insignia and also the liner just as I received it. The cost as you see it was $7.00 so there is no trickery involved. I also received a 10% discount because I bought ever helmet they had for sale

Craig, that's so "FAKE" looking! It's really strange to see it like that - doesn't look like the thick paint used earlier or done with the same precision. All that same, it's amazing!! If you have extras I'd love to talk to you about it. When do you think it was painted?

I bought this 29th division helmet from the private collection of the Sutherland Brothers years ago. It had three layers of repaint on the outside and one on the inside. It was part of a group of 29th helmets found at the famed Utah Smith and Edwards Surplus yard. The Sutherlands removed the three layers to find this well-preserved decal. They added the chinstraps and liner. I will never sell this one! I love it. Even if used in the U.S. in the 50s, it is still a real 29er! You have a great helmet there!

Cheers,

Mike

post-576-1343199885.jpg

everforward
Thanks. I'd like to go to the Maryland Historical Society (re. the 29th) and peruse their photographs one day. I was wondering if this was a legit insignia or a made up hump job from some time ago. Do you have any feeling about it in that light?

FWIW all of the helmet pics I reference from are out of the 1957 29th Infantry Division Summer AT Yearbook......IMHO the helmet could most certainly be from this period based on the period pics of what they did at that time.

craig_pickrall
Craig, that's so "FAKE" looking! It's really strange to see it like that - doesn't look like the thick paint used earlier or done with the same precision. All that same, it's amazing!! If you have extras I'd love to talk to you about it. When do you think it was painted?

A friend and I bought all of the helmets that were left. I have no idea how many they started with. This was the only one that had any markings. The NG armory was in Maryland. I have no idea at all about when it was painted. Some of the helmets were just the shell, some had stripped liners and some were complete with all sweat bands, liner chin straps, etc. All helmets were WW2 vintage with sewn straps.

An early liner in a late war shell? That's odd?

Nice liner, although I'd vote post war insignia as well. No swivel bales in Normandy though ;) Perhaps the vet was in Normandy, the liner might have been there, but the outer shell is not a Normandy veteran.

Good luck with the auction..!

• 7 years later...