WWI Officer Service Variant

Brig

Just got this in. It was pinned to a highly moth-eaten WWI era sidecap which is currently in my freezer. Wonderful pinback with c-clasp, but could find no discussion of it in the reference. Believe it may be an earlier version and opposite of the one discussed here... http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=8119

Any info on this one gents?

_T2eC16J__zEE9s3__IZ8BQ_z6cdRBQ__60_57.JPG

__KGrHqR__hIE9rZ8Z5qMBQ_z69eQi___60_57.JPG

teufelhunde.ret

I make it as the 1904 Gemsco version .It most certainly has an interesting finish, that appears to be original to the emblem. I already have enough of those unmatched early birds or would have bid on it. Here is my best looking Gemsco collar for comparison.

post_376_1209144516.jpg

I'm not sure I agree with the Gemsco theory...flipped the eagle on the other piece discussed, and the heads seem more similar than with the Gemsco...also the level of the bird's knees and the individual feathers on the top of the wings, that you mentioned when it was first posted. I think the right emblem with the roll clasp is post-WWI and higher detail, and mine is earlier

Untitled.jpg

I see similarities and differences in both...maybe in actuality mine and the other are variants based off the Gemsco but by different companies? :think: