Fixing up a Ridgway cap

2ndInf.Div.

2ndInf.Div.

Over the weekend I picked up a Ridgway cap made by Louisville Cap Corp. The material is in overall good condition, but there are a few places on the cap that no longer retain their shape. I was told starch may be able to fix this, but I don't want to damage the cap. Does anyone know what I can do to help get this cap back to it's former glory?

Rakkasan187

You may want to try soaking the cap in water and liquid starch mixture. Not a lot of starch, maybe 2 or 3 capfulls. Take the hat and then form it over a #10 size can. If you don't have a #10 can, (usually you can find these at the grocery store on the bottom shelf, and they have beans, coffee, jalapeno peppers, nacho cheese in large bulk in those cans) or you can soak the cap in the starch water and place it on a styrafoam head to reshape it.

I would go with the #10 can, since you can usually shape the hat around the edges of the can and the top of the hat will fit nicely over the top of the can. You can then apply heat to it and iron the top. What I have done in the past is this process but also I placed a soaked towel on the top of the hat and ironed it. It came out looking just like it did in the 50's. No damage to the hat either..

Leigh..

2ndInf.Div.
You may want to try soaking the cap in water and liquid starch mixture. Not a lot of starch, maybe 2 or 3 capfulls. Take the hat and then form it over a #10 size can. If you don't have a #10 can, (usually you can find these at the grocery store on the bottom shelf, and they have beans, coffee, jalapeno peppers, nacho cheese in large bulk in those cans) or you can soak the cap in the starch water and place it on a styrafoam head to reshape it.

I would go with the #10 can, since you can usually shape the hat around the edges of the can and the top of the hat will fit nicely over the top of the can. You can then apply heat to it and iron the top. What I have done in the past is this process but also I placed a soaked towel on the top of the hat and ironed it. It came out looking just like it did in the 50's. No damage to the hat either..

Leigh..

Thanks Leigh, I'll have to give it a shot! Would you happen to have a picture of the can and what brand starch do you recommend? Also I'm guessing to use a regular glass to mix this and then soak the cap in? Sorry but I prefer specifics so I don't screw it up :unsure: Do you have any pictures of the cap before and after?

craig_pickrall

Leigh, that was some good detective work to find that old thread. I didn't remember it. That is good history on the covers.

2ndInf.Div.

I used a large Folgers coffee can to set the cap on, but I'm not sure how it will turn out. Because the can was not large enough for the whole cap, I put a rag on top of the the can before putting the cap on. I starched the cap inside and out. Since it's so hot outside I put it in the garage to dry out. I'm guessing I should iron it once it dries?

Rakkasan187

You can iron it initially when it is still wet and then again when it has dried. I would cover the cap with a towel or wash cloth after it is dry to iron it to prevent excessive heat.

The folgers can is also a great idea.

Good job

Leigh

2ndInf.Div.
You can iron it initially when it is still wet and then again when it has dried. I would cover the cap with a towel or wash cloth after it is dry to iron it to prevent excessive heat.

The folgers can is also a great idea.

Good job

Leigh

We haven't seen the result yet ;)

2ndInf.Div.

Here is the result so far. I haven't ironed it yet. I was thinking of wearing this for reenacting, but it is OG-107 rather than OD#7. I can see outlines of where a Captain's pin once was so I'll replace that. Opinions?

315312_452751084747160_1906872893_n.jpg

603588_452751188080483_580378508_n.jpg

526396_452751231413812_1456526403_n-1.jpg

Looks like it turned out pretty nice :thumbsup: Have seen where the vets pit carboard stiffeners in them as well to hold the shape also.

2ndInf.Div.
Looks like it turned out pretty nice :thumbsup: Have seen where the vets pit carboard stiffeners in them as well to hold the shape also.

The one I use for reenacting is just that, it's made by Bancroft Rock. I prefer to wear my utility cap since I don't want to mess up the Bancroft, but I'm trying to find a Louisville Ridgway in OD#7 since they don't have the cardboard stiffener.

Rakkasan187

The hat came out great.. You did an excellent job restoring this hat..

It looks like it was just issued..

I am glad the coffee can method worked for you..

I will echo what doyler also ststed, that in a lot of cases, cardboard was cut out and placed on the inside of the hat to keep the sharp tight edges and form..

Great Job...

Leigh..

craig_pickrall

I remember GI's cutting cardboard (solid fiber) and also tin from cans to add stiffness but that was for the M51 caps. I thought that was why companies started making the spring up caps so GI's didn't have to add stiffiners to issue caps.

• 1 month later...

I remember buying a cap stiffener/form which was mesh plastic with wire around the top and bottom and I think it connected onto itself with Velcro. You would adjust it to your size and slip it between the inner folded-up earflap and the cap body on your patrol cap to make it stand up straight. As I recall, a DI made me throw it away after commenting on how 'squared away' my cap looked. "Looks good, now get rid of it" I think is what he said. :rolleyes: