This C-17 Crew is some real deep &*(&!

Teamski

A C-17 crew landed their aircraft at the wrong airfield. They mistook another field for MacDill. Great landing, but they are hosed! Looking at the map, the runways run in the same direction and are somewhat in straight alignment. Regardless, it should have been obvious. I supervised flightline maintenance on C-17s for the last couple years of my career and trust me, any other aircraft would have gone right off the end of the runway.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/regi...-knight-airport

-Ski

The aircraft later relocated from Peter O. Knight airport.

Anyone want to lay money that the same crew didn't fly it out???

I wounde if they even flu it off!! Would the runway be long enough to safely take off??

I went to a airshow in Scott AFB where a C-17 would make an approach and land. Then they would put it in reverse and back down the runway and then take back off prior to the point at which it stopped. Talk about cool.

I couldn't access the link -- firewall at work :(

How do you confuse an 11,000 foot runway with a 3,500 foot runway?

The subsequent scene from this movie where they mistake the drive in theater for a runway came to mind for me:

Maybe they should rehire the flight engineers for this aircraft. Every crewed transport I flew with a full enlisted crew always landed at the right airport.

Wow...it wasn't even night time.....usually that type of thing happens at night.

Here is the one that always gives me chills, C-5 accident at Dover AFB a few years ago.

Crew had one engine shut down, and accidently swapped a good engine for the secured one.

They couldn't make it on two. One of the three good engines was at idle after the accidental swap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI5xTmmPbsY

Best, John

Wow...it wasn't even night time.....usually that type of thing happens at night.

Here is the one that always gives me chills, C-5 accident at Dover AFB a few years ago.

Crew had one engine shut down, and accidently swapped a good engine for the secured one.

They couldn't make it on two. One of the three good engines was at idle after the accidental swap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI5xTmmPbsY

Best, John

I was the MOC (Maintenence Operations Center) Superintendent when the C-5 accident happened. We were co-located with the Command Post so we were at ground zero of the accident response. I got a call at home from my senior controller at 6 in the morning. He was like, " ahhh sorry to bother you but I had to give you a call. One of our planes just landed short of the runway." I asked if the plane actually touched down across the road in the field and he simply mentioned that the "tail fell off." I arrived to work to see a surreal scene of our cameras zoomed onto 4059 broken up in the field with firefighters watering down the plane. Everybody was in silent shock and yet performed their jobs like true professionals. That was a once in a lifetime experience for me.....

The sad thing is that the crew did the same thing as the Ramstein C-5 crew and, as mentioned above, got the engine throttles switched and idled a good engine. You would think the Ramstein accident would have fixed this by requiring all forward or all back instead of trying to pick out individual engine throttle levers. Well, they do now!

-Ski

Steindaddie

Something about MacDill and planes landing where they aren't supposed to.

In 1980 a Delta 727 enroute to Tampa International Airport mistakenly landed at MacDill AFB. I was stationed there at the time and remember all the fuss. The base figured it was a hijacking so firetrucks raced out to block the runway, security cops took up positions around the aircraft, etc. A cop told me the next day that the passengers gaped out the windows, saw men with guns, and THEY thought the plane had been hijacked to Cuba.

Tampa International is about 10 miles north of MacDill with an approach over land. MacDill's final approach is over water (the approach lights are on piers in the bay) and, then and now has one of the widest runways in the USAF - hard to mistake. But the Delta pilot was executing an IFR downwind and was halfway through a 180 degree turn to the north when he popped in the clear, saw runway, landed. I'm sure he realized his mistake but too late. Better to just land and get it over with.

Spathologist

I was sitting at FOB Shank when a C17 slid off the end of the runway into the Hescos.

That was awesome.

In late 1974/early 75 a control tower directed a C-5 to land on one runway and a small civilian aircraft to land on another. Unfortunately, the civilian laned on the air base and the C-5 landed on a small civil runway. The C-5 over ran the short field and broke apart in a farmer's plowed field. Lots of splaining to do there.

In the mid 90's a KC135 crew from Grissom and the wing staff somehow mission planned the jet to land on a runway in Hawaii that was too short to take off from. Needless to say some people lost their jobs over that one also.

The same crew on the C-17 that landed in Flordia on the wrong runway DIDNOT fly the aircraft out.

Yeah, well I found out that the flight was a Silver Bullet Mission with a 4 star general on board. The crew was diverted to pick him up and crew fatigue ended up being a player. The crew was also relatively inexperienced as well. And you are correct; another crew flew the plane out. The mission could have been planned much better.

-Ski

• 2 weeks later...