Revisiting Vietnam’s infamous Dan Sinh “War Surplus” Market

JCFalkenbergIII

Jules has written on this before... always interesting to see the latest and greatest from the "war market".

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

JCFalkenbergIII
Jules has written on this before... always interesting to see the latest and greatest from the "war market".

Thanks for pinning it gwb123 :thumbsup: . Whats funny is that I went to one of the pages he linked to look what Repro ARVN insignia was on the site and there was everything but the Vietnamese Ordnance Badge which is one I would want even if it was a Repro :lol: . Robert

nguoi tien su

Let's be a little bit rational about that.

Who would expect to find Recon Team patches by the dozen for 3 usd each? Who would expect to get Zippos by the dozen for 2 usd? Who would expect to score an NVA flag for 10 usd ?

The answers to those questions are always the same: ignorant tourists and idiots.

Let's put it is other words. When you go to a basic militaria dealer in the U.S. or in Europe, you basically know that you can't get a MACV-SOG patch for a few bucks. So you assume that it is a modern make. Nobody is fooling you. That is basically the same in VN. ^_^

There is a tendency to despise what is not coming from the USA and it is even easier with VN or Thailand. Just think about it.

When a patch is fake: it comes from Vietnam.

When a uniform is fake : it is a put together from Thailand.

Nobody tries to get deeper explanations.

VN has been at war roughtly from 1940 to 1975 (even 1979 if you include the Cambodian and Chinese campaigns). Several million South-Vietnamese took part in the conflict, several million North-Vietnamese fought too (more than the 3 million Americans). Of course out of the several million soldiers, items have been kept, sometimes hidden and are now getting out of the country. You can rarely find them at Cho Dan Sinh, I do agree (even if back in the 90's and early 2000s it was not that bad!). But with contacts, patience, time and money, you can get awesome stuff. Like everywhere else.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

forum_10.jpg

Nguoitiensu : YOUR SHARING WORDS ARE SO...SO RIGHT ! YOU'VE EXPERIENCED FOR A LONG TIME IN VN.

It's really HARD to find out them now in DSinh market.

Most of valuable stuffs have been getting out of VNam also.

Cheers,

CM

It's worth taking a sealed fresh handwipes with you, if you get down to some serious fossicking, your hands are going to get pretty grubby, another method is taking disposable surgical gloves. It's too hot in that place!

Always interested in Buying Vietnam Zippo's and Military Zippo lighters, and Military Police Vietnam Headgear.

donation2012.gif

Corpsmancollector

Read this article the other day thanks to another Forum member. Fascinating stuff!

Will

WWII USMC & USN - CAMOUFLAGE / CORPSMAN / PARAMARINE / MARINE RAIDER / DENIM / DECK JACKETS.

VIETNAM - CAMOUFLAGE / SF / 'IN-COUNTRY' ITEMS.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

nguoi tien su
It's worth taking a sealed fresh handwipes with you, if you get down to some serious fossicking, your hands are going to get pretty grubby, another method is taking disposable surgical gloves. It's too hot in that place!

I remember one time my back pack moving next to me as I was digging in plastic bag full of photos. Two rats were crawling underneath!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

forum_10.jpg

River Patrol

If you know the subject you collect, you will not experience deep pitfalls.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I remember one time my back pack moving next to me as I was digging in plastic bag full of photos. Two rats were crawling underneath!

Hi NTS, that'd freak most people out! Some huge Rats in Vietnam.

Always interested in Buying Vietnam Zippo's and Military Zippo lighters, and Military Police Vietnam Headgear.

donation2012.gif

• 1 month later...
Hi NTS, that'd freak most people out! Some huge Rats in Vietnam.

Jack, what do you mean " Huge Rats........." ???????????????? hahahah..... :lol:

• 3 months later...
MichaelDecker

Very interesting article, thanks! At first it looked like somewhere I might want to go one day until you mentioned the rats.. I HATE rats! :P

Very interesting article, thanks! At first it looked like somewhere I might want to go one day until you mentioned the rats.. I HATE rats! :P

They are like small dogs and tasty..........

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

• 2 months later...
firefighter

They are like small dogs and tasty..........

They had huge rats when I was stationed in the PI.We saw one walking by and thought it was a cat, no s***.We use to get these 'meat' on a stick after drinking all night.10 for around 10pesos. It was 20pesos to the dollar back then.It was probably rat or monkey but they were yummmmmy.

I would consider going to that market if the stuff was real.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

911flag.jpg

ASMIC #1098

vintageproductions

I was always told those meat sticks were Monkey, as they were pink and stringy, but the hot sauce covered the taste.

www.vintageproductions.com

"A militaria show is a social event for anti-socials" - A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

firefighter

I was always told those meat sticks were Monkey, as they were pink and stringy, but the hot sauce covered the taste.

Never had the hot sauce.We were told it was 'pork'.Monkey the other white meat.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

911flag.jpg

ASMIC #1098

1SG_1st_Cav

We had RATS in our TOC (see the picture). The TOC was 20' X 50' with a Conex Container added on the south end. That was the Bn Opns end, and they had a mimeograph machine and an electric 40 cup coffee pot in the Conex. Sometimes the mess hall would give us leftovers and we would put them next to the coffee pot. My Bn FDC section was on the North end of the TOC. The rats would invade the Conex if we left food in there. One of my guys would always freak out over the rats. After seeing them for about a month he had enough of those rats. Around midnight I would have a couple of troops at a time clean their M-16s until everyone had cleaned theirs. One night the rats were all over the Conex fighting for scraps of cake left on a tray next to the coffee pot. "ol Trooper Fink (from PA) cleaned his M16, loaded a mag, and emptied the whole thing into the Conex shooting the crap out of everything in sight.

My Fire Direction Officer was asleep over on the Opns side. He fell out of his chaired and crawled under a desk. Withinn a minute or two about 6 or 8 officers and the Bn SGM came running in with their weapons locked and loaded. The final body count was 2 each, 1 coffee pot, one mimeograph machine, and ZERO Rats! :lol::D . Needless to say, his new nickname was Dead Eye Dick!

post-1691-0-14141200-1362620749.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Forum Member #1691 since September 2007

Served in the US Army from 1960-80

First Sergeant (Retired)

Vietnam 1967 with 7-15th FA ~ [8"/175mm Gun] First Field Forces

Vietnam 1968 with 1-30th FA ~ [155mm] 1st Cavalry Division [AIRMOBILE]

President & Historian 30th FA Regiment Association ( WWW.HardChargers.Com )

Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the 30th Field Artillery Regiment in 2018

1SG_1st_Cav

Me on LZ Uplift August 1967. Danny

post-1691-0-05761500-1362621815.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Forum Member #1691 since September 2007

Served in the US Army from 1960-80

First Sergeant (Retired)

Vietnam 1967 with 7-15th FA ~ [8"/175mm Gun] First Field Forces

Vietnam 1968 with 1-30th FA ~ [155mm] 1st Cavalry Division [AIRMOBILE]

President & Historian 30th FA Regiment Association ( WWW.HardChargers.Com )

Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the 30th Field Artillery Regiment in 2018

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I was in Saigon in 2008 with my two sons and we found some nice gear but the majority of the stuff they try to sell is fake! You have to really dig into the piles to find the genuine stuff and once they know you are going to spend some money they suddenly pull out the good stuff.

Still a great place to visit and you can find some genuine items if you are determined and they know you are not just a "tourist" spending a few dollars.

A lot of the guys we met were buying stock from Thailand and Ebay is proving that point. Lots of gear turning up but same old problem, fakes are still there! "Cheap Charlie" and the "Chinaman" were the guys to hunt out. They have good contacts and found most of the items we were after. Can`t wait to go back. Yeah, the rats were big! Cheers.

• 6 months later...

cheap charlie has to be CHARLIE DUNG,....he has a couple of booth spaces in DAN SINH...his sister runs the other one. CHINAMAN? are you referring to LONG MAI? LONG has a separate store 1/2 block from DAN SINH.....very nice reasonable man....low key but very friendly. his wife seems to run the store most of the time...LONG off somewhere doing 'busines'

• 5 months later...

I'm not sure if this belongs here or somewhere else but I ran across this interesting article about "Revisiting Vietnam’s infamous Dan Sinh “War Surplus” Market". Alot of information and some really great photos in it :thumbsup: .

Robert

http://juleswings.wordpress.com/2012/07/22...surplus-market/

Good article, but really, white on black printing? Hasn't black on white stood the test of time? And isn't it easier to read?