USS Finch, AM-9, 1930's official crew photo

aerialbridge

aerialbridge

No, sorry, if you were hoping to see one, I don't have a scan. If I did, I'd post it. But I'd sure like to see one, if it exists and if anyone has one. I'm guessing a crew photo was never taken, since Rickover was only on the Finch for 4 months when it was at Chefoo, China, from June 37 to October 37. From most historical accounts I've seen it was a sore spot for both Rickover and the Navy, since his authoritarian ways met with a lot of resistance from the crew and he was purportedly detached early due to the extreme friction.

Here is something of interest. Its a page from a CSC book I own to a sailor who was on the USS Finch and Rickover signed one of the entries.

MVC_054L.JPG

MVC_055L.JPG

aerialbridge

Great CSC book, Kastauffer, thanks. These are way less than satisfactory, being ruined by large watermark graphics, but here are front and back scans of an official USN photo dated 1942, but obviously taken years earlier of Rickover as a lieutenant, since he promoted to 0-4 on 7/1/37 and 0-5 in 1942. This sold on Ebay a few months back as a buy it now. When I discovered it after the fact, I contacted the seller who seems to sell hundreds of old news stock photos a month and asked if I could buy a scan without their watermark. I received back the misinformed reply, that they could not because the photo is "copyrighted". It's perplexing that someone who makes a living selling old photos would be ignorant of the fact that official government photos, taken by employees of Uncle Sam in the regular course of their duties as this one absolutely was, are forever in the public domain. I suspect they just wanted to be, uh, less than amiable even when offered payment, since when I wrote back informing them it was not copyrighted, I never heard back. Anyway, whatever old photos of Rickover might be floating around, even a Finch crew photo if one exists, here's the place for one of our folks to put them.

post-18406-1342979437.jpg

post-18406-1342979452.jpg