Antarctica Service Medal

Javelin4life

Javelin4life

Hello,

I recently won this Antarctica Service Medal with a 1st wintered over bar on ebay a couple of weeks ago. On the inside of the box there is a citation that is included for the criteria of awarding the medal. I have been trying to search for information on the recipient of this medal, John D. Glennon, since I got the medal, but I haven't had too much luck. Would anyone on the forum be able to lend a hand in identifying the man with the medal? Opinions are always welcome.

Alex

post-19935-1342823187.jpg

post-19935-1342823214.jpg

Leatherwringer

dang....I watched that auction and I really like the medal! I have not seen one in that box before but IF I had a little more fun money

I would have gone after it! Nice score! glad it was grabbed by a forum member!

This is the first one I've seen in its origonal box. The recipient could have been military, or a scientist attached with a government project.

Javelin4life
This is the first one I've seen in its origonal box. The recipient could have been military, or a scientist attached with a government project.

For this medal, are the original boxes hard to come by? If the recipient was in fact a scientist attached with a government project, would that make it harder to find out more information on him?

For this medal, are the original boxes hard to come by?

It's not easy to find them boxed, especially the early ones from the 60's (I'm looking for one one since one year). Here's one with Volupte mark on the rim, not boxed but in a paper packet.

antarcticaenv.jpg

Javelin4life
It's not easy to find them boxed, especially the early ones from the 60's (I'm looking for one one since one year). Here's one with Volupte mark on the rim, not boxed but in a paper packet.

antarcticaenv.jpg

Where exactly is that mark on the rim?

Hello all!

An excellent thread to a very attractive medal, and one I'm glad was brought up! Very nice examples, and thanks to all (especially Alex) who posted from their collection, I've really enjoyed seeing them.

Most of my examples are marked with the Volupte V on the rim as well, I have the boxed and enveloped examples ...BUT...

I have a very weird "cased" example, in fact I purchased three of them several years ago. They were all in cream colored shipping boxes and in WW II Merchant Marine issue cases. Wrapped in tissue and with the lapel pin. In all honesty I purchased them for the cases and boxes, but once they arrived they looked as thought they had been packed this way with no evidence of tampering. If I recall correctly the seller had five of these and I got the three cleanest, for a VERY reasonable cost since the seller had no idea about the scarcity of the cases and shipping boxes and listed them only as Antarctica Service Medals in their boxes.

Some pics to follow, if anyone has ever seen such a thing before I'd love to hear!

Best wishes!

Joe

post-48324-1343077915.jpg

• 1 year later...
legionnairedu2

Bonjour à tous,

Pour Médaille du service de l'Antarctique, il ya au moins trois fabricants cette périodes

Volupté Inc - 3 modèles

- Modèle en papier

- Modèle en boîte de 10/64 (démarquer tranche "V")

- Modèle en boîte 5/69 (marquage sur la broche)

E & M SIMON - 1 modèle

LI-GI - 1 modèle

post-4943-0-44663200-1399193957.jpg

post-4943-0-39259900-1399193982.jpg