WWII USN commander of USS Unimak grouping

mmerc20

I just picked up a few pieces of Hilfort C. Owen the captain of the small airplane tender USS Unimak AVP-31 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Unimak_(AVP-31) )

This small lot includes his engraved sword and his dress fore and aft hat with shoulder boards from his earlier time in the Navy because it still has Ensign rank on it. Also included is his sword belt. His family has entrusted me with his belongings and to make sure his name is not forgotten. I am truly honored to own these pieces.

In a couple weeks the daughter of Mr Owen will be providing me with as much original documentation as I need. She is the family genealogist and has lots of certificates, photos and information about his life. She is a wonderful person and has told me so much about him. He was an amazing man having graduated from the Naval Academy in 1927 as well as Harvard. From what I can remember from our conversation, he worked for RCA to help pioneer one of the first color TVs and was also an accomplished musician and could plan just about any instrument. Unknown to the family for quite some time, a recording of him playing with the Naval Academy Ten was discovered and the songs he actually wrote are on a CD called Jazz Is Where You Find It (1924-1930). Google it, his songs are track 10 and 11.

When I get more from his daughter in a few weeks I will be sure to post it here, but I just wanted to show off these beautiful parts of Captain Owen's career.

Mike

post-3373-1342751897.jpg

His name is on the sword blade and his initials are engraved on the throat of the scabbard. These are the pictures I have for now. For reference, the box is marked inside the cover "The Horstmann Uniform Company- Philadelphia" and the shoulder boards have the same marking on them however the brass clasp to attach them to the uniform have "France" stamped on them.

Mike

post-3373-1342751966.jpg

post-3373-1342751974.jpg