T Handle Shovel

hirsca

Estate sale find today. Still has remnants of the OD paint, but rode hard and put up wet. Did these shovels have a maker's mark like the folding ones? Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1342729799.jpg

post-12790-1342729807.jpg

post-12790-1342729814.jpg

Yes they do sometimes as well as a date, I have some marked AMES and date 1943 in my collection.

Nice find , Laurent M.

Yes they do sometimes as well as a date, I have some marked AMES and date 1943 in my collection.

Nice find , Laurent M.

Thanks Laurent M. The blade has lots of rust. Where on it should I look for the mark? Thanks, Al.

They must have had warehouses full of shovels left over from WWI for reissue during WWII.

Correct.

I sometimes see dates on WWII shovels, but have yet to see one on a WWI shovel. There are some subtle construction differences, though, so you don't need a date to properly classify one. WWI shovels had wood wedges filling a gap on either side of the junction between helve and blade.

Correct.

I sometimes see dates on WWII shovels, but have yet to see one on a WWI shovel. There are some subtle construction differences, though, so you don't need a date to properly classify one. WWI shovels had wood wedges filling a gap on either side of the junction between helve and blade.

Thanks for all of the info guys. Here are pics of each side of the junction from the one I got today. WW1? Thanks again for all of the comments. Al.

post-12790-1342744630.jpg

post-12790-1342744638.jpg

RustyCanteen
Correct.

Right, and I don't think I have ever seen any dates besides 1942 & 1943.

C'mon AGM.....Show us the picture from the last Vintage Show......

:D

Leonardo

Dropped my iPhone in the parking lot after packing up on Saturday and smashed it up thoroughly.. still need to hook it up to the computer and see if I can salvage the images - pretty sure I got a shot of the small sample of T-handles that we brought along.

JS

There were, in short, 2 production runs of these M1910 shovels. Most are WW1 production, and these are only marked with 'US' on the tang and usually the handle. Some have a 'flaming bomb' stamped at one of the head sides of the T-piece. These were still standard issue at the beginning of WW2.

It seems they run out of the WW1 stock, and so in 1942 & 1943 a new production run was done. These are usually maker marked & dated on the tang.

On the WW1 made ones there are some small differences in construction. There are also a few models that are either very early production known for their flimsey construction, and T-handle shovels made from surplus parts for the civilian market.

Greetz ;)

David

Correct.

Can anyone post a pic of the wood wedges? Thanks, Al.

A huge amount( 40.000 ) of these 1910 Showels appeared recently on the european market during the recent months.

Apparently, ex Yougolavian over stock, but sold by Polish people on the several various european militaria "trade" shows.

As well as the Thompson 50 rounds drum magazines and other MG 42 parts,and other german items.

No canvas cover included , but they are ok

Found some AMES 1943 on the tang , and WWI flaming bombs on the head side.

Price???

You take only one ...30 € ea

You take 5 of them ...25 € ea

You take 10 of them 20 € ea

1 € is about 1.30 USD

Dont acte

Francis

I think that batch has been on the market for over a year now, but for the couple I bought I indeed paid around 25 euro each. Fortunately I bought a few loose covers a few years ago! :lol:

Greetz ;)

David

Rusty, Jeff and Earlymb have nailed it; as far as I know, there were no manufacturers' stamps until Ames, Woods and the others began their early-War production runs.

I came across a new-condition M1910 years ago which is painted a forest green shade (seen on a good deal of Marine Corps-issued Helmets and other hardware) instead of the standard rough O.D., and has the Ordnance Bomb stamped into the T-grip; also of note is that the wood shafts used on this Shovel are noticeably thicker than what is usually seen on these.

Don't have any good pics of it, but they will be forthcoming...

Rusty, Jeff and Earlymb have nailed it; as far as I know, there were no manufacturers' stamps until Ames, Woods and the others began their early-War production runs.

I came across a new-condition M1910 years ago which is painted a forest green shade (seen on a good deal of Marine Corps-issued Helmets and other hardware) instead of the standard rough O.D., and has the Ordnance Bomb stamped into the T-grip; also of note is that the wood shafts used on this Shovel are noticeably thicker than what is usually seen on these.

Don't have any good pics of it, but they will be forthcoming...

Thanks Flage Guy. Could you please include pics of the wedges and the ordnance bomb stamp? Thanks, Al.

Here are some pics of one of my shovels. The 'flaming bomb' mark is rare but not impossible to find. Like many WW1 shovels this one has been painted some sort of grey/brownish color that covers the wedges.

m1910shovel001.jpg

m1910shovel002.jpg

m1910shovel003.jpg

m1910shovel004.jpg

Greetz ;)

David

Here are some pics of one of my shovels. The 'flaming bomb' mark is rare but not impossible to find. Like many WW1 shovels this one has been painted some sort of grey/brownish color that covers the wedges.

m1910shovel001.jpg

m1910shovel002.jpg

m1910shovel003.jpg

m1910shovel004.jpg

Greetz ;)

David

Very good info. Thanks much earlymb.

Al.

Thanks Flage Guy. Could you please include pics of the wedges and the ordnance bomb stamp? Thanks, Al.

As per your request, here is the "Ordnance" M1910 Shovel (lower), shown alongside a "normal" M1910...

post-3226-1343424585.jpg