General of the Army Shoulder Loops

Mark Costa

Does anyone know when the GREEN style loops were replaced by the Black style? Did the green style even exist. I can't seem to find info anywhere on whether these green loops existed at all. As GOA Omar Bradley was still alive up to 1981, it is possible that these green General of the Army loops existed and are not just fantasy.

Thanks.

Mark Costa

post-2602-1342708477.jpg

Does anyone know when the GREEN style loops were replaced by the Black style? Did the green style even exist. I can't seem to find info anywhere on whether these green loops existed at all. As GOA Omar Bradley was still alive up to 1981, it is possible that these green General of the Army loops existed and are not just fantasy.

Thanks.

Mark Costa

The green officer shoulder ranks were used from 1980 to 1994. So, green General of The Army shoulder rank was probably in the Army insignia inventory at least until Bradley died in 1981.

I'd like to find a pair in the original sealed wrapper with a 1980 contract date label.

KurtA:

Many thanks. I thought they replaced in the mid 1990's sometime -- just could not find the exact year. And I wasn't sure when then they into being. So yes it is very possible that real Green versions were mfg'd before Bradley died -- making them official.

Mark Costa

KurtA:

Many thanks. I thought they replaced in the mid 1990's sometime -- just could not find the exact year. And I wasn't sure when then they into being. So yes it is very possible that real Green versions were mfg'd before Bradley died -- making them official.

Mark Costa

Mark-

I'd buy a green set for my collection (if I felt they were original 80's manuf), but I wouldn't want the black type.

Kurt

Hello

If you have a change to get a pair of the black shoulder marks, I would say, buy a pair.

What is, when there will be the next General of the Army wearing the black shoulder marks and you have not bought it ?

;-)

Michael

Hello

The green shoulder mark looks like the short one. The male and female sizes were changed to large and small in 1996.

In connection therewith, the green version is for a female General of the Army ?

;-)

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

The shorter shoulder marks weren't necessarily for a female. This has been discussed on the forum before, but it is believed General Bradley wore the shorter shoulder insignia because of his thinner frame in his later years. Again, this isn't something I am making up, this is something that has been mentioned on this board. I just don't know what thread it was discussed in.

It is possible those shorter green shoulder insignia were the type worn by General Bradley.

• 7 months later...

Hello everyone. The picture of the two shoulder marks in green and black actually belongs to me. The black set came in a plastic wrap with the lot number, unfortunately I did not photograph it before throwing it out. Close examination of the embroidery pattern of the eagle and the star cluster indicate that they were made from the same template.

Alf

The shorter shoulder marks weren't necessarily for a female. This has been discussed on the forum before, but it is believed General Bradley wore the shorter shoulder insignia because of his thinner frame in his later years. Again, this isn't something I am making up, this is something that has been mentioned on this board. I just don't know what thread it was discussed in.

The shorter shoulder marks are just an alternate size for anyone to wear if they fit better. For example, the knit "wooly-pully" sweater tends to have shoulder loops too short to accomodate the longer insignia.

• 6 months later...

Green and black General of the Army shoulder slides were made both machine embroidered and hand wire embroidered ( which are totally gorgeous!). Originally the "shorter" version was made, and the run was done as female insignia. However, since all generals of the army were men, no need for the female version and so they were discontinued and only a small number were created, almost by error. A total of 87 pairs were actually manufactured. In reality, a General of the Army could, and initially was permitted to wear, "such insignia as the wearer desired," so they could wear long, short, or clear ranks if they desired. Fully hand embroidered, and ultra rare, dress blue uniform shoulder boards for the General of the Army were also created in a variety of designs, and not only the rectangular boards with five stars in the center as is generally depicted. In fact, several different designs were actually worn.

Green and black General of the Army shoulder slides were made both machine embroidered and hand wire embroidered ( which are totally gorgeous!). Originally the "shorter" version was made, and the run was done as female insignia. However, since all generals of the army were men, no need for the female version and so they were discontinued and only a small number were created, almost by error. A total of 87 pairs were actually manufactured. In reality, a General of the Army could, and initially was permitted to wear, "such insignia as the wearer desired," so they could wear long, short, or clear ranks if they desired. Fully hand embroidered, and ultra rare, dress blue uniform shoulder boards for the General of the Army were also created in a variety of designs, and not only the rectangular boards with five stars in the center as is generally depicted. In fact, several different designs were actually worn.

Interesting. What is the source of this very precise information?