US Navy bomb trailer MK3 Mod 1

robinb

I saved this WW2 Navy MK3 bomb and torpedo trailer from the scrap man back in January. Here are the before and after pictures. I didn't really want it, but just couldn't let it get scrapped. I have a copy of the original manual that shows a wooden platform just as I recreated. I got lucky and found the correct pintle hook at another scrap yard.

n110.jpg

MVC_001S16.jpg

Robin,

Nice work! I'm curious about the pintle hook. Is it similar or the same as used on WWII jeeps? I need to find one for my 1949 K-1 trailer when I get around to restoring it.

Regards,

Jim

The pintle hook is nothing like a Jeep type. It mounts with 6 bolts instead of four. It's also spring loaded and pivots like a larger truck style.

1.jpg

2.jpg

And a picture of the data plate. I painted it OD instead of Navy gray because the only paint I found on it was OD.

data.jpg

Here's the only picture that I had of the wooden platform. Taken from the 1943 dated manual.

manual.jpg

I see now what the hitch looks like. It appears to be a Wallace Forge type. I have a similar one for my AC tractor. The pintle hitch for my K-1 is only a four bolt mount type with out the hole for the spring and swivel. I haven't found any photos of it but I assume by the hole mounting pattern it is of the jeep type. Thanks for posting the add'l images.

Jim

Nice job, Robin. It's interesting that in the period photo the trailers have more of a "Asphalt" style tire. Which, when one thinks about it, they were probably primarily designed for use on paved or Marsden matted runways. The smoother the ride the better I would suspect. :pinch:

Does the trailer have a brake to keep it steady while the bombs were loaded? I like the view of the trailer under the plane loading the bombs from the '43 TM.

Again, great work and nice save! :thumbsup:

Zeph

The trailer has a parking brake, and electric brakes. It came with one original MILITARY marked 6:00 x 16 street tread tire. The only tires that I had on hand were the NDT tires that I used. Not exactly right for it, but I didn't want to put out any more money that I had to for this project.

The trailer has a parking brake, and electric brakes. It came with one original MILITARY marked 6:00 x 16 street tread tire. The only tires that I had on hand were the NDT tires that I used. Not exactly right for it, but I didn't want to put out any more money that I had to for this project.

I figured it would have brakes of some sort, since I noticed the trailer plug and the absense of lights. I actually like the NDT look vs. the asphalt tire look. Again, nice job and very cool!

Zeph

• 11 years later...
Pbiever

I have one of these i thought was a old hay wagon on our farm. April 2024 I was cleaning things up. The old wagon had a bunch of scrap metal on it and a rotted deck. I haul the scrap metal off and pulled the old wooden beams and deck off of it. Noticing the placard I investigated what it was I am interested in with it was going to make a dump trailer out of it. 

IMG_0706.jpeg

IMG_0709.jpeg

IMG_0704.jpeg